Samsung S20 Ultra Battery Life Test..120hz

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
My main interest has been the battery , we're now beginning to see where the S20 ultra stands . Seem you lose 2hr 45mins with 120hz on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ARTncez-s

View attachment 317143

So you're telling me the S10+ lasts 40 min longer with a 4100 mAh battery compared to the s20 ultra (at 60 hz ) that has a 5000 mAh battery
How is that possible???
BTW I'm definitely going to be using my s20 ultra at
60 hz (1440p) , coming from a note 10+ that barely gives me enough juice for a work day , I'm looking forward to that 5000 mAh

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
So this is two different tests? Because the times in the chart, don't match the time on the video.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I consistently get better life with my note 10+ then I ever did with my s10+. That's why you have to take every battery test with a grain of salt. No 2 people use the phone the same way and almost nobody uses it the way they test them.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
So you're telling me the S10+ lasts 40 min longer with a 4100 mAh battery compared to the s20 ultra (at 60 hz ) that has a 5000 mAh battery
How is that possible???
BTW I'm definitely going to be using my s20 ultra at
60 hz (1440p) , coming from a note 10+ that barely gives me enough juice for a work day , I'm looking forward to that 5000 mAh

X55 chipset (5G radio) increases drain.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Regarding the 5G, I have a question. When you go into settings> connections>mobile networks>network mode, do you have the option of not having 5G roaming?

On my Note 9, you can have;

2G
3G
2G, 3G, 4G.

Can your select 4G roaming ( with or without 2G and 3G) and not have 5G roaming?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Regarding the 5G, I have a question. When you go into settings> connections>mobile networks>network mode, do you have the option of not having 5G roaming?

On my Note 9, you can have;

2G
3G
2G, 3G, 4G.

Can your select 4G roaming ( with or without 2G and 3G) and not have 5G roaming?
That's a good question, we wont know until people get in their hands but maybe the s10+ 5g owners can tell us .

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
The 120hz vs battery discussion is going to be hilarious this year, so many people up in arms because 120hz is disabled at highest resolution (which 99.5%) can't see anyway.
Now Samsung is most likely sending out an update for that so it's your personal choice to sacrifice more battery but there will be uproar over it using just 1% extra if it was only that.
When do people start to accept the limitations of current battery technology

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I consistently get better life with my note 10+ then I ever did with my s10+. That's why you have to take every battery test with a grain of salt. No 2 people use the phone the same way and almost nobody uses it the way they test them.

The other thing to note (no pun intended), with Samsung, is if the tested unit has an Exynos or Qualcomm processor. That can make a major difference, as well.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
The 120hz vs battery discussion is going to be hilarious this year, so many people up in arms because 120hz is disabled at highest resolution (which 99.5%) can't see anyway.
Now Samsung is most likely sending out an update for that so it's your personal choice to sacrifice more battery but there will be uproar over it using just 1% extra if it was only that.

Nailed it... And you're exactly right! 😂

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
What flagship doesn't get a day with heavy use? 99% of the time my last 5 or 6 phones survived a day without issue. Occasionally I would have a day with irregular use or some kind of rogue app that would have me charging by late evening.

You better believe I'll be running max resolution and refresh rate. I have like 4 fast wireless chargers plus one in my truck. Not to mention the 20 fast charging bricks I have lying around.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
What flagship doesn't get a day with heavy use? 99% of the time my last 5 or 6 phones survived a day without issue. Occasionally I would have a day with irregular use or some kind of rogue app that would have me charging by late evening.

You better believe I'll be running max resolution and refresh rate. I have like 4 fast wireless chargers plus one in my truck. Not to mention the 20 fast charging bricks I have lying around.

You mean max refresh with the max resolution it will do at 120Hz (which is not the max resolution of the phone)?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
And when Samsung sends out an update to allow both I'll run both.

How people are different. I currently have the Note 9, almost pulled the trigger on the S20 Ultra but will wait for the S21. I'm the exact opposite. If I had the S20 Ultra, I wouldn't be touching 120 Hz. Even on my Note 9, I run FHD only, (I couldn't tell the difference between that and WQHD), have my mobile connection set on 3G only (much better signal ) and have the display turned off from default adaptive to basic.

I could imagine if I did all that on the S20 Ultra plus 60 Hz refresh, I'd probably have stellar battery life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz