120hz or 60hz for S20+ battery life?

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
The 2 main reasons I'm trading my note 10+ for a s20 ultra (512 gb unlocked)
Are the camera and battery life (I'm on my phone all day and note 10+ has died on me plenty of times ) my day including gym , commute to work (NYC subway) and back is 12 1/2 to 13 hours
So I definitely need my battery to last that long
(Can't charge at work)
No point in having 120hz if the phone is dead in my pocket, so I'm setting my phone at 60hz , 1440p
Would that get me the 13 hours I need ?

Last edited:

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
If battery life is really that important then why not cripple it by going even down lower to FHD+, turning off most of the features, etc.

I guess carrying a battery pack is not an option?

To compare I have my iPhone 11 Pro Max here in the Philippines. I use it all day on Messenger, Asphalt 9, YouTube and Safari. I have about 13% by 9PM. I stopped using my Note 10+ here because it can't compete.

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
If battery life is really that important then why not cripple it by going even down lower to FHD+, turning off most of the features, etc.

I guess carrying a battery pack is not an option?

To compare I have my iPhone 11 Pro Max here in the Philippines. I use it all day on Messenger, Asphalt 9, YouTube and Safari. I have about 13% by 9PM. I stopped using my Note 10+ here because it can't compete.

Yeah I have been using a battery pack with my note 10+ but it's an inconvenience I don't want to put up with anymore specially after expending 1,600 on the s20 ultra at far as 1080p the difference between that and 1440p is only about 2% battery life , I watch a lot of content , and want the best resolution possible

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Last edited:

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Why can't you charge at work?
A small 10.000mah powerbank will cost less than 20 quid and nobody can forbid you to use that, even if you only plug it in to your phone while commuting you should be covered

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think that after the phone learns your usage patterns (typically that takes 3-7 days), battery life will be at least a little bit better than these reviews are saying.

I know that's what happened with my S10+, the first 2 days or so was horrible, then it got decent.

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Why can't you charge at work?
A small 10.000mah powerbank will cost less than 20 quid and nobody can forbid you to use that, even if you only plug it in to your phone while commuting you should be covered

I'm on the move at work , would have to leave phone somewhere, it would probably get stolen , not willing to do that , like I said before carrying around and having to charge my power bank every night along with my phone, watch and Galaxy buds is an inconvenience I want to eliminate specially after paying $1,600 for this phone

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
I'm on the move at work , would have to leave phone somewhere, it would probably get stolen , not willing to do that , like I said before carrying around and having to charge my power bank every night along with my phone, watch and Galaxy buds is an inconvenience I want to eliminate specially after paying $1,600 for this phone

Not trying to be a wise a$$ and i cant believe I'm saying this butt... U might be better off with an iPhone.. I have family members who are in the same situation and they have no battery issue with the i phone.

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Not trying to be a wise a$$ and i cant believe I'm saying this butt... U might be better off with an iPhone.. I have family members who are in the same situation and they have no battery issue with the i phone.

Yeah the iPhone 11 pro max has slightly less battery life that the s20 ultra at 60hz with 5g on (iPhone runs at 60hz as well) (not that I would ever use an iPhone)

Attachments

• 4836.jpg
    4836.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 92

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I think you will be just fine at 60hz during work hours ...I saw a video this weekend with it at 120hz with heavy recording and such it went till 9pm from morning ...you should be good ...

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I think that after the phone learns your usage patterns (typically that takes 3-7 days), battery life will be at least a little bit better than these reviews are saying.

I know that's what happened with my S10+, the first 2 days or so was horrible, then it got decent.

I agree , but your S10+ is a battery beast , beats the iPhone 11 pro Max and the s20 ultra

Attachments

• 4836.jpg
    4836.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 82

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I think you will be just fine at 60hz during work hours ...I saw a video this weekend with it at 120hz with heavy recording and such it went till 9pm from morning ...you should be good ...

Yeah I saw that one too , also this phone has a deep sleep manual mode for apps only to work when you open them (not in the background), I got a few apps in mind to put on that mode , I'm sure that will help a lot too

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
If you're out and about and need maximum battery life,this is what I suggest;

FHD only
60 Hz refresh
Mobile connection set to 3G.
Mobile data and location off.

And......

If you're out and about and you really want to go all out, enable developer mode and go into "simulate colour space" > "monochromacy". This will turn all your display into black and white. If for eg, you plan a day to do a lot of photography and videoing, you can set everything in black and white to really save battery, just for framing purposes.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
If you're out and about and need maximum battery life,this is what I suggest;

FHD only
60 Hz refresh
Mobile connection set to 3G.
Mobile data and location off.

And......

If you're out and about and you really want to go all out, enable developer mode and go into "simulate colour space" > "monochromacy". This will turn all your display into black and white. If for eg, you plan a day to do a lot of photography and videoing, you can set everything in black and white to really save battery, just for framing purposes.

How are you switching mobile connection to 3g?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
How are you switching mobile connection to 3g?

I'm typing this from my Note 9 settings. I assume the layout is the same for the latest model.

Settings>connections>mobile networks>network mode>3G only.

For the record, I find 3G perfectly fine for all web browsing and YouTube watching out and about on mobile data. It's only if you want to download a large file that 4G is an advantage. 3G signal is strong, hence improved battery life plus it's readily more widely available than 4G.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm typing this from my Note 9 settings. I assume the layout is the same for the latest model.

Settings>connections>mobile networks>network mode>3G only.

For the record, I find 3G perfectly fine for all web browsing and YouTube watching out and about on mobile data. It's only if you want to download a large file that 4G is an advantage. 3G signal is strong, hence improved battery life plus it's readily more widely available than 4G.

I learned something new. Thanks:)

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean yuck? I'm perfectly happy with my screen quality at FHD and basic display setting. Actually, I prefer the less saturated colours on this setting. 3G doesn't adversely affect me and for all this, I'm getting much better battery life.

The black and white thing I'm only giving as a hint if you're out and about and all you plan to do is taking pics and videos.

All these suggestions I made was for someone enquiring about maximum battery life when you're out for the day. Heck, it wouldn't kill anyone if their display was in black and white using Google maps to get to their destination and looking up a restaurant to go to. Doing all this might make the difference between taking a portable battery with you or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo