No VoLTE / 5G / WiFi Calling on AT&T with Unlocked Model...

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Even though it was stated that this time would be different, VoLTE, 5G nor WiFi Calling work on the Unlocked Model with an AT&T SIM. I will be selling the Unlocked version or trading for an AT&T model.

Just thought I would let everyone know.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Even though it was stated that this time would be different, VoLTE, 5G nor WiFi Calling work on the Unlocked Model with an AT&T SIM. I will be selling the Unlocked version or trading for an AT&T model.

Thanks. That is what I suspected with AT&T and the reason I ordered the AT&T model.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Should wait 48 hours see if any of those would kick in and work just incase

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I get wifi calling and volte not working as has happened with past unlocked samsung models, but as it has the necessary bands for 5g I don't see why it wouldn't work. Interesting if true.

Also, with the S10 they enabled wifi calling and volte with an update. It appeared as if AT&T was making progress with regards to unlocked samsung devices. It would be a shame if they are now backtracking.

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I know my unlocked Fold also didn't work with VoLTE or WiFi Calling. I had to flash the AT&T firmware and then set the IMEI in my account to the IMEI of a AT&T branded Galaxy Fold to get those to work.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Only reason I ordered unlocked was that Samsung wasn't offering the full $700 trade in credit on the AT&T variant when preorders started unless you financed with AT&T. Now it looks like they are offering it if you pay cash or through samsung financing. I'll likely return the unlocked one for the AT&T variant if this is indeed the case.

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Only reason I ordered unlocked was that Samsung wasn't offering the full $700 trade in credit on the AT&T variant when preorders started unless you financed with AT&T. Now it looks like they are offering it if you pay cash or through samsung financing. I'll likely return the unlocked one for the AT&T variant if this is indeed the case.

Same here, now this is a total bait and switch. I guess I will order the AT&T variant now and decide which one to keep.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

Interesting. Same boat. Can I return this one and go for ATT - will we get all the offers back? Guessing no since the pre-order period expired.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Interesting. Same boat. Can I return this one and go for ATT - will we get all the offers back? Guessing no since the pre-order period expired.

I'm guessing returning just to get ATT is going to be too much hassle. Between the trade in and the galaxy watch and the extra 35 its not going to be worth it.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I get wifi calling and volte not working as has happened with past unlocked samsung models, but as it has the necessary bands for 5g I don't see why it wouldn't work. Interesting if true.

Also, with the S10 they enabled wifi calling and volte with an update. It appeared as if AT&T was making progress with regards to unlocked samsung devices. It would be a shame if they are now backtracking.

Does this mean a fix may be coming?

dgcorn

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't use WiFi calling and not sure about VoLTE, but are you saying there will be no use of 5G on AT&T with an unlocked phone? Even with an AT&T unlimited plan with 5G?

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't use WiFi calling and not sure about VoLTE, but are you saying there will be no use of 5G on AT&T with an unlocked phone? Even with an AT&T unlimited plan with 5G?

This something I can't say for sure. I know I just "pre-ordered" the AT&T variant and says it will ship tomorrow. Got the $600 trade-in credit as well as the $200 for accessories. Paid outright for the balance of $900, no stupid AT&T financing.

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
no 5G would certainly be a problem and require a return. Can someone confirm on that point?

I don't have a 5G plan, I'm on my work Mobile share, we have 30GB w/ Rollover Unlimited Canada and Mexico roaming, 9 lines for $265 a month. I can't justify doubling the price just for 5G.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I don't have a 5G plan, I'm on my work Mobile share, we have 30GB w/ Rollover Unlimited Canada and Mexico roaming, 9 lines for $265 a month. I can't justify doubling the price just for 5G.

Okay - the original post said no 5G which was a suprise. I expected no wifi calling and/or VoLTE although I was hopeful.

dendron01

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Visit site
Re: No VoLTE / 5G / WiFi Calling on AT&T with Unlocked Model...

Is there confirmation from anyone it is working on a so called AT&T unit? It is a brand new model after all...you might want to check before you go to all that trouble.

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Okay - the original post said no 5G which was a suprise. I expected no wifi calling and/or VoLTE although I was hopeful.

There were no options for network selection with the AT&T SIM in it, however I put in a T-Mobile SIM in and all of the above work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech