Night Mode?

DanielLoreti

Sep 20, 2018
Visit site
So my Note 9 just recently got the Android 10/Samsung One 2.0 update and my camera has the night mode now. Didn't really try it out, was waiting for my Ultra to deep dive into the new modes. I took a couple indoor pics last night on the Ultra with the lights off and the regular photo with flash looks better then the Night Mode pic. The flash photo looks crisp and bright, much better then my Note 9. But the might mode pic looks kind of weird like it's adding a yellow tint. What is night mode supposed to be doing?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You're comparing apples to oranges. Night mode is supposed to be keeping the aperture on the camera, well, open, for a longer time (the time it keeps letting light into the image and capturing data) and processing it to reduce as much noise as possible (which is inherent from low-light shots and increased exposures) and further process it to try to make it so it doesn't just look over-exposed but rather a more 'natural-looking' picture. Sometimes that means cooling or warming up the colors, and if indoors, this usually results in yellowish or reddish tints.

Now, with the 'normal' mode and the flash, you're artificially lighting up the scene and using a faster capture speed (because you already have a lot more light in the scene now, from the flash). This usually results, however (depending on the flash used) in cooler tones and washed-out shadows/contrast lost by illuminating the scene.

The Ultra does the same thing but with improved processing for Night Mode and the fact that it now has larger sensors that allow to capture more light per pixel with faster exposure times.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Night mode will help alot out doors where you're photographing something far enough away the flash doesn't provide enough light of if you are in a situation where you can't use flash.