Night mode camera setting questions

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I know this is probably a dumb question but why is there a timer on the night mode camera setting and is there any way to turn the timer off. There are certain shots I would miss because I have to sit there for 7 Seconds according to the timer before the shot can be taken

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the darker it is the longer it takes to collect enough light for the scene. So the time is shorter when it's lighter and longer when it's really dark. Needless to day the shutter is open that whole time so pointless trying to capture anything that's moving as it will just be a blur

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I know this is probably a dumb question but why is there a timer on the night mode camera setting and is there any way to turn the timer off. There are certain shots I would miss because I have to sit there for 7 Seconds according to the timer before the shot can be taken
I think you are referring to the delay of how long the shutter stays open after a shot and not the timer.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I think you are referring to the delay of how long the shutter stays open after a shot and not the timer.
Well, in normal mode I press and it takes photo right Way. In night mode I press and it has a 7 second timer that counts down, saying keep your phone still, then takes it.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Well, in normal mode I press and it takes photo right Way. In night mode I press and it has a 7 second timer that counts down, saying keep your phone still, then takes it.
Oh I see. Now I just tested it and watched the timer auto change depending on the lighting. Still, can't take shots at night of moving or may be moving subjects, if I have to wait 7 seconds

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh I see. Now I just tested it and watched the timer auto change depending on the lighting. Still, can't take shots at night of moving or may be moving subjects, if I have to wait 7 seconds

That's just the limitations of the camera. It's hard to capture action shots at night even for a dedicated camera. Ideally you want a large sensor, large aperture, and high ISO handling with minimal noise. Smartphones have larger apertures now, but it's still a lower quality lens compared to something like a DSLR. They have tiny sensors as well, severely limiting how much light they can gather, and this also creates more noise at high ISO levels.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That's how night mode works. You may get decent shots without night mode unless it's pitch black.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles