Fingerprint Sensor Disappointing

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
So far, I like everything about the S20+ except the in-screen fingerprint sensor. The fingerprint sensor is too small and it only works about 75% of the time. The in-screen fingerprint sensor on my OnePlus 7 Pro was far superior. BTW, the S20+ still has the factory installed screen protector, as did my OnePlus 7 Pro.

abbeybrown312

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Sorry you've had that experience. Mine seems to always work and I'm coming from a Pixel where it was on the back. I don't keep screen covers on though.

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
Try registering the same finger twice or turning on the touch sensitivity in the settings if u have a screen protector on. I have the factory screen protector on and touch sensitivity set to normal. I did register my finger twice and it works great with no issues

DanielLoreti

Sep 20, 2018
Visit site
Never used the fps on my S8 or Note 9. Was worried about using it on the 20 Ultra after reading all the horror stories, but I absolutely love the ultra sonic scanner.

cbironman24

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Im coming from an S10 and I find the sensor on the S20 plus much better. I think they are the same sensor but the placement on the s20 plus is a little higher up, so I think this is whats giving me better readings. When I pick it up the phone my finger is right on the senor so I only have had a few times where I had to try again for it to read. My s10 was 50/50 so I stopped using it all together.
I do register my thumb twice and then I also do a "mix' print, where I register my left thumb and both pointer fingers under one print.
Im using a Whitestone Dome Glass protector and its working great!

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Had the S10+ and the FPS Sucked, Had the Note 10+ X2 and the FPS sucked, was hoping it would be a little better by now on the S20 Ultra. I'll find out if I ever get the phone.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Had the S10+ and the FPS Sucked, Had the Note 10+ X2 and the FPS sucked, was hoping it would be a little better by now on the S20 Ultra. I'll find out if I ever get the phone.
It's only marginally better. I had both the s10 and note 10 as well and the s20 is definitely improved, but it's still not great.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if I'm just especially lucky. But since the update on the S10+ I haven't had any serious FPS issues on it, the Note 10+, or the S20+. Intermittently the FPS will randomly fail five times in a row, but most of the time it works on my first attempt.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The OnePlus is not superior as it needs light to read your fingerprint and doesn't work if your finger is wet or damped. I have fairly big hands and don't run into any issues with placement. I would rescan some prints and make sure your getting it from every angle that you normally use to unlock your phone.
So far, I like everything about the S20+ except the in-screen fingerprint sensor. The fingerprint sensor is too small and it only works about 75% of the time. The in-screen fingerprint sensor on my OnePlus 7 Pro was far superior. BTW, the S20+ still has the factory installed screen protector, as did my OnePlus 7 Pro.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
No issues here, scanned thumb and index finger on each hand one time. Factory installed screen protector is still on the phone, and I have not had one misfire yet.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The fingerprint scanner on my S20+ is perfect. Sorry you're having problems. I had problems on my S10+.
I don't have a problem on the S10+ or the Note10+, but the S10 Ultra seems better. It was easier to record prints and it works pretty flawlessly.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It works, but it isn't nearly as fast or as accommodating as the rear sensor on my previous Note 9.

It is nice for turning the phone on while it is sitting on a table, but otherwise it is inferior.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
It is when unlocking, but just as fast when used for signing into app or Samsung pass.
It works, but it isn't nearly as fast or as accommodating as the rear sensor on my previous Note 9.

It is nice for turning the phone on while it is sitting on a table, but otherwise it is inferior.