Galaxy S20 Launch = Complete FLOP !

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Best Buy counter jockey says his store had less than 10 pre orders for the new Galaxy S20 phones and that nobody is buying them.

He stated that half of the pre orders have not even been picked up yet and the S20 launch was a complete flop.

Went in there today looking for a 512GB Ultra, guy says he has plenty of 128GB but no 512GB at all.

Hopefully they will have mine on the 11th when promised.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes, everyone I know personally isn't interested in the S20, even previous flagship owners of the S10 and Note 10 aren't even remotely interested in it including my one friend who normally upgrades every year. Now ad the fact that the Ultras super hyped camera is under performing and flawed focus is even making me consider sending it back for a refund.

The price increase I'm sure is a main problem when it's not really any better than the previous gen devices. The people I know that have low end phones that would notice the difference are too cheap and would rather use a cracked screen until it doesn't even work at all before they'll even get a new budget phone. Then take away features like the headphone jack and you have a recipe for low sales.

1) Too high of prices
2) Not really any better than previous devices
3) Flagship device has it's number one selling point (camera) underperforming and flawed.
4) Removing features like the headphone jack

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Not surprised at all, I really wanted the 512gb Ultra but NOT for 1579 Euro, I just couldn't justify it.
The camera issue (if it is real) they'll get fixed I think.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes. If u use gcam most the issues go away. So its definitely software issues not hardware

No. You lose A LOT of functions with using third party camera apps! Can you use the zoom lens with Gcam? Can you film in 4k60fps? Gcam or any other third party camera app isn't even close to an acceptable solution when a lot of stuff won't function.

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
No. You lose A LOT of functions with using third party camera apps! Can you use the zoom lens with Gcam? Can you film in 4k60fps? Gcam or any other third party camera app isn't even close to an acceptable solution when a lot of stuff won't function.

Yes u lose stuff. U can use the zoom up to 20x only on main camera. . Im just saying the main camera issues go away. So its software not hardware. It can be fixed is the point im making

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
It's not the camera... lol.

Most people have no idea and assume the cameras will be great.

It's the prices. If I was shocked when I heard them, most people trying to keep food on their table are going to give these phones a hard no and not even bother going into Best Buy.

I was in T-mobile yesterday for 2 hours and not one person, not ONE, went anywhere near the new Samsung phones. Most people were asking about the entry level iPhone 11 and the regular Note 10.

And everyone else was buzzing about the Corona virus.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Can the camera problems even be fixed with a software update?
Never trust cameras to get fixed from software update from any company. We have seen plenty of promises from companies we will fix this and that but never improve. If the camera was dumpster fire sure they can improve. But this camera is good and don't know whatever issues are there can be improved or not. Bottom line I wouldn't buy this expecting something gets improved in 1 week or 6 months. Only buy if you like what you seeing now, if not wait for whatever has been promised and if that actually addresses your concerns.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Had a different experience. Was in a T-Mobile store yesterday and saw a couple setting up there S20s and and another couple jumping to S20s oh and a guy walked in asking for a S20 ultra in grey but the store only had black. All that in about a 30 min span. I'm sure it's not their hottest launch, but people are buying the phone.

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
Had a different experience. Was in a T-Mobile store yesterday and saw a couple setting up there S20s and and another couple jumping to S20s oh and a guy walked in asking for a S20 ultra in grey but the store only had black. All that in about a 30 min span. I'm sure it's not their hottest launch, but people are buying the phone.

Seems like theres mixed reviews for whatever reason. No phone out there is perfect. Me personally i traded my pixel 4xl for the ultra and im loving this phone. Couldn't be happier.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Well you have to admit these phones are crazy expensive, but more than that, the timing of everything happening in the world means Samsung, even with their great marketing, isn't in the headlines like they normally would be.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
For sure especially for the S series and I truly wonder if the out come would be different had we were not dealing with the outbreak epidemic. Also I beg to differ on the headlines comment because camera gate has been everywhere lol. I know the point you were making but couldn't pass that up.
Well you have to admit these phones are crazy expensive, but more than that, the timing of everything happening in the world means Samsung, even with their great marketing, isn't in the headlines like they normally would be.

rdrive41071

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Why would someone make this thread? Lol - its only a couple days after the release, and he's basing all of north america's s20 orders off of one Best Buy store? OK.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
It's funny, I couldn't care less if others are buying any phone I choose, as long as I'm happy with my purchase.

Yes, the cost for the Ultra is a huge deterrent, but I knew I stood a good chance at getting discounts since I was able to upgrade upon release. I had an S9+ and upgraded to the Ultra. I was able to get the phone for a $5 monthly increase after $450 in discounts. I'm certainly satisfied with my purchase.

As for the camera, well Samsung will fix the AF and any other hardware related issues, but that's one area they have foolishly continued to do their own thing and still lose to other brands with half the hardware specs. The issue, in my opinion, is and always will be the proprietary software they use for image rendering. I don't care about the over softening nearly as much as I do the poor light balance management. It makes images look lower resolution to me.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Best Buy counter jockey says his store had less than 10 pre orders for the new Galaxy S20 phones and that nobody is buying them.

He stated that half of the pre orders have not even been picked up yet and the S20 launch was a complete flop.

Went in there today looking for a 512GB Ultra, guy says he has plenty of 128GB but no 512GB at all.

Hopefully they will have mine on the 11th when promised.
They don't normally stock anything but base models

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech