"Regular" s20 Great Upgrade to s10

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Quick take for those not interested in the s20 ultra or +. I personally haven't seen much in the way of reviews or first takes for the regular s20, so if you are wondering if this is a good upgrade from the regular s10 here is my take. Lifelong Android phone guy here. In December I made the jump to the iPhone 11 for various reasons, but mostly because both of my teenage kids had made the move and everyone I work with uses iPhones.

A month into the iPhone life, Apple CarPlay stopped working on my stupid 2018 Honda Accord (first and last Honda I'll ever own), which after much trouble shooting was solved with an infotainment software update at the dealer. Because of this I never got around to selling the s10 on ebay, it was staying around as a backup. Apple CarPlay stopped working a couple of weeks ago once again on my stupid Accord. Dealer said I had the latest verision of the infotainment software installed, so must be my phone. Out of retirement came the s10. While Android Auto (AA) worked, I was kind of surprised how laggy it was. I had to unplug/replug the phone from the car about 50% of the time because the AA interface would come up with a black screen or on Google maps but frozen. The phone was also a bit laggy in general non-AA usage scenarios but didn't seem *that* much slower from what I remembered pre-iPhone.

With iPhone being a buggy no-go on my Honda, I took the plunge and ordered a regular s20 because the $600 trade-in credit on my s10 was so good - about $200-$250 better than they are selling on ebay. I've had the s20 since last weekend, and am impressed at how much better the experience is over the s10. Some highlights to me...

• Flat screen has really cut down on accidental touches causing apps to open
  • Th 120 refresh makes the phone much smoother for scrolling through any app or a website on a browser
  • Camera seems to be greatly improved - no desire to download Gcam since I've taken a couple of night shots with the stock camera and have been blown away by the results
  • Fingerprint scanner works better for me. I've read it is the same as the s10 but placed higher in the screen. Whatever the reason, it is working 95% of the time on first press (when for whatever reason face unlock doesn't kick in). On the s10, despite 10+ rescans I had probably a 50% fail rate on fingerprint unlocking which was super, super annoying.
  • Not a single stutter to my eyes, and AA has worked flawlessly

If you have an s10 and experienced any stutters, disliked the curved screen-induced accidental touches, had issues with the fingerprint unlock, were hoping to see some camera upgrades, then I think this is a worthwhile upgrade.

Also, for me, the regular s20 is still the perfect size. Big enough that my aging eyes can still see text easily enough but not too big. I compromised with the iPhone 11 because it was closest to the s10 in size, but was still a bit too wide for my comfort level. The iPhone pro was too small and the pro max too big.

Hope this helps someone on the fence with respect to upgrading.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. Never had a problem with Android Auto in my 2017 Honda Civic Si. My S10 feels every bit as fast as the S20 Ultra, never experienced any lag on my S10 and the battery seems even better than when it was brand new. Also, blow the pocket lint out of your phones sockets, that can mess with your connection. Sometimes you have to replace those cheap-*** cables that don't hold up. I've even had to change SATA cables in my PC before, even brand new SATA cables that where defective.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. Never had a problem with Android Auto in my 2017 Honda Civic Si.

I didn't either when I used my s10 prior to the iPhone. At least to the extent when I started using the s10 again just a couple of weeks ago. I really think something happened to the s10 while it was sitting on a shelf for the past 2.5 months. It was laggier than I recall it being pre-iPhone, which I think extended to wonky AA performance. Same cable in the car used for the s20 as the s10, so....¯\_(ツ)_/¯