03-19-2020 09:35 PM
86 123 ...
tools
    Considering we spent 1400 on a phone that has incomplete camera software, on the basis that the camera may or may not be fixed eventually. And to what degree? Software can't totally make up for a hardware flaw.

And what about 1440p w 120 hz refresh rate? Coming or not? I feel like I deserve some answers before my return period ends and if I don't get them I will be returning the phone.

I do love the phone but the camera is virtually unacceptable by my standards.. if it was a $1000 phone maybe, but not at this price point.
    03-15-2020 04:44 PM
    samsung has an ota update rolling out to fix some camera issues. so yea, they noticed and trying to fix it :-)
    Super Spartan likes this.
    03-15-2020 04:57 PM
    Just return the phone. I've had a butt load of fun with my camera. It can only improve. There has been video from Korea about the auto focus issues showing the fix. You knew about the 120Hz limitation before you bought it. If not, you didn't do much research. They give you a return period so if you're not happy you can return it. You're not happy so return it.
    03-15-2020 05:20 PM
    Just return the phone. I've had a butt load of fun with my camera. It can only improve. There has been video from Korea about the auto focus issues showing the fix. You knew about the 120Hz limitation before you bought it. If not, you didn't do much research. They give you a return period so if you're not happy you can return it. You're not happy so return it.
    There have also been videos out of Korea showing that the software fix didn't fix things, so makes it a tougher decision for some. I agree though, he should just return the phone. If not happy now, you won't be later, never expect a software fix to drastically change things, especially will possible hardware limitations on the focus.
    Borgie, bhatech and milehigherik like this.
    03-15-2020 05:46 PM
    People paying such a huge price for a phone that has features that aren’t even particularly useful yet and quite possibly wont be within the typical life of this phone.

Watch this starting at the 10:00 minute mark (well the whole thing if you want of course):

kolyan2k likes this.
    03-15-2020 06:04 PM
    I'm holding off buying the S20 Ultra until there is confirmation from end users here in the US that the camera issues have been fixed.
    Tech friend likes this.
    03-15-2020 06:09 PM
    I decided to return mine and wait for the Note & Pixel. I'll just keep the 4 XL and 10+ for now.
    03-15-2020 06:12 PM
    Don't buy into the the update is rolling out. Yeah it's been rolling out from the last few weeks. Return the phone if you are not comfortable and still in the return period. The supposed camera update whenever it comes to your region/carrier or whatever million criteria Samsung has may or may not fix this issue. Personally I don't care that much about the camera and it isn't dumpster fire for me to worry but don't trust software updates to fix especially if you are in 50-50 if you want to keep or not. Return it and you can always buy later if things are improved drastically in your view.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-15-2020 06:39 PM
    Don't buy into the the update is rolling out. Yeah it's been rolling out from the last few weeks. Return the phone if you are not comfortable and still in the return period. The supposed camera update whenever it comes to your region/carrier or whatever million criteria Samsung has may or may not fix this issue. Personally I don't care that much about the camera and it isn't dumpster fire for me to worry but don't trust software updates to fix especially if you are in 50-50 if you want to keep or not. Return it and you can always buy later if things are improved drastically in your view.
    I agree if your up in the air about it return it , maybe purchase later down the road again once you see things got updated
    bhatech likes this.
    03-15-2020 07:02 PM
    There have also been videos out of Korea showing that the software fix didn't fix things, so makes it a tougher decision for some. I agree though, he should just return the phone. If not happy now, you won't be later, never expect a software fix to drastically change things, especially will possible hardware limitations on the focus.
    Samsung has not rolled out any camera update to anyone yet. That Korea video was bogus. It takes time to ready fixes. They aren't going to accomplish software updates in a week.

When Samsung rolls out a real update, expect them to make a huge deal out of it. Probably with the April update.
    bhatech likes this.
    03-15-2020 07:17 PM
    People paying such a huge price for a phone that has features that aren’t even particularly useful yet and quite possibly wont be within the typical life of this phone.

Watch this starting at the 10:00 minute mark (well the whole thing if you want of course):

We had S10+ models in this price range without 5G
    03-15-2020 07:39 PM
    Samsung has not rolled out any camera update to anyone yet. That Korea video was bogus. It takes time to ready fixes. They aren't going to accomplish software updates in 2 weeks .

When Samsung rolls out a real update, expect them to make a huge deal out of it.
    I agree. Plus South Korea has been dealing with quite a lot with coronavirus. So, give them some time, they'll provide improvements. I'm confident.
    Nostromo79 likes this.
    03-15-2020 07:42 PM
    Other than poor autofocus I don't know of any camera issues the phone is experiencing or what the patch is expected to fix.

Either way due to differences in hardware I don't expect it to ever focus as quickly as the S10, it doesn't have dual pixel auto focus.
    nuangel2 likes this.
    03-15-2020 08:07 PM
    Not sure why people are complaining...isn't everyone trading their Ultra for a Note 20 in September anyway???

j/k....I think LOL
    jdfry15 and mgbosshogg like this.
    03-15-2020 08:23 PM
    samsung has an ota update rolling out to fix some camera issues. so yea, they noticed and trying to fix it :-)
    They've been saying since the s9 they made a camera phone.. they can't get the software right. If you're waiting for "the" update... You're a dummy. Ain't gon happen. Install the Google apk and it's resolved. However why buy a 1400 turd to install Google camera.

Like buying a Porsche and having to swap the motor
    bhatech likes this.
    03-15-2020 08:26 PM
    Not sure why people are complaining...isn't everyone trading their Ultra for a Note 20 in September anyway???

j/k....I think LOL
    I was hoping not to, but it looks like my kid is getting a $1600 phone in 6 months and I'll be getting the note 20.
    03-15-2020 08:27 PM
    I'm holding off buying the S20 Ultra until there is confirmation from end users here in the US that the camera issues have been fixed.
    This will be guaranteed by the s60 model haha .
    03-15-2020 08:27 PM
    Is the Google apk out yet? Haven't been able to find it for Ultra...
    03-16-2020 07:42 AM
    I personally am not having the jumpy auto focus issue, the camera just all around sucks. Every image is blurry except for small area due to excessive bokeh. It's virtually unusable to me and my main use is the camera.
    03-16-2020 07:45 AM
    Is the Google apk out yet? Haven't been able to find it for Ultra...
    https://www.cyanogenmods.org/galaxy-...le-camera-apk/
    03-16-2020 08:46 AM
    Seriously return it if you are not happy. Let these companies know if they want top dollar they need to provide a top product! Not a product that is semi or half-a$$ed.
    DUTCH VanAtlanta likes this.
    03-16-2020 08:56 AM
    I personally am not having the jumpy auto focus issue, the camera just all around sucks. Every image is blurry except for small area due to excessive bokeh. It's virtually unusable to me and my main use is the camera.
    If the camera is the main use then why not buy a standalone DSLR? Text messages and internet is my main use with the camera being secondary. I'm not saying the camera is great, but it works more than not. Obviously for $1600 I expect it to be better than good and Samsung better fix the software issues. If a camera was that important for my day to day life I would definitely have an actual camera with legit optical zoom.
    03-16-2020 10:42 AM
    Considering we spent 1400 on a phone that has incomplete camera software, on the basis that the camera may or may not be fixed eventually. And to what degree? Software can't totally make up for a hardware flaw.

And what about 1440p w 120 hz refresh rate? Coming or not? I feel like I deserve some answers before my return period ends and if I don't get them I will be returning the phone.

I do love the phone but the camera is virtually unacceptable by my standards.. if it was a $1000 phone maybe, but not at this price point.

I don't want to appear harsh but in ANY transaction it's buyer beware... notwithstanding, Samsung and all other brand devices put a lot of time, research and effort into providing the customer with something of value. Value for dollar? Maybe, maybe not. But I doubt Samsung is going to ring you up anytime soon to apologize.
    03-16-2020 10:54 AM

If a camera is not acceptable at 1400 it's not acceptable at 1000 either.
    03-16-2020 09:39 PM
    Cameras w/ smartphones attached 😁
    03-16-2020 10:23 PM
86 123 ...