I feel like Samsung owes us some answers - S20 Ultra

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Considering we spent 1400 on a phone that has incomplete camera software, on the basis that the camera may or may not be fixed eventually. And to what degree? Software can't totally make up for a hardware flaw.

And what about 1440p w 120 hz refresh rate? Coming or not? I feel like I deserve some answers before my return period ends and if I don't get them I will be returning the phone.

I do love the phone but the camera is virtually unacceptable by my standards.. if it was a $1000 phone maybe, but not at this price point.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Just return the phone. I've had a butt load of fun with my camera. It can only improve. There has been video from Korea about the auto focus issues showing the fix. You knew about the 120Hz limitation before you bought it. If not, you didn't do much research. They give you a return period so if you're not happy you can return it. You're not happy so return it.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Just return the phone. I've had a butt load of fun with my camera. It can only improve. There has been video from Korea about the auto focus issues showing the fix. You knew about the 120Hz limitation before you bought it. If not, you didn't do much research. They give you a return period so if you're not happy you can return it. You're not happy so return it.

There have also been videos out of Korea showing that the software fix didn't fix things, so makes it a tougher decision for some. I agree though, he should just return the phone. If not happy now, you won't be later, never expect a software fix to drastically change things, especially will possible hardware limitations on the focus.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
People paying such a huge price for a phone that has features that aren’t even particularly useful yet and quite possibly wont be within the typical life of this phone.

Watch this starting at the 10:00 minute mark (well the whole thing if you want of course):

https://youtu.be/k-OZVWcyN5w

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Don't buy into the the update is rolling out. Yeah it's been rolling out from the last few weeks. Return the phone if you are not comfortable and still in the return period. The supposed camera update whenever it comes to your region/carrier or whatever million criteria Samsung has may or may not fix this issue. Personally I don't care that much about the camera and it isn't dumpster fire for me to worry but don't trust software updates to fix especially if you are in 50-50 if you want to keep or not. Return it and you can always buy later if things are improved drastically in your view.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Don't buy into the the update is rolling out. Yeah it's been rolling out from the last few weeks. Return the phone if you are not comfortable and still in the return period. The supposed camera update whenever it comes to your region/carrier or whatever million criteria Samsung has may or may not fix this issue. Personally I don't care that much about the camera and it isn't dumpster fire for me to worry but don't trust software updates to fix especially if you are in 50-50 if you want to keep or not. Return it and you can always buy later if things are improved drastically in your view.
I agree if your up in the air about it return it , maybe purchase later down the road again once you see things got updated

Last edited:

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
There have also been videos out of Korea showing that the software fix didn't fix things, so makes it a tougher decision for some. I agree though, he should just return the phone. If not happy now, you won't be later, never expect a software fix to drastically change things, especially will possible hardware limitations on the focus.

Samsung has not rolled out any camera update to anyone yet. That Korea video was bogus. It takes time to ready fixes. They aren't going to accomplish software updates in a week.

When Samsung rolls out a real update, expect them to make a huge deal out of it. Probably with the April update.

Last edited:

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Samsung has not rolled out any camera update to anyone yet. That Korea video was bogus. It takes time to ready fixes. They aren't going to accomplish software updates in 2 weeks .

When Samsung rolls out a real update, expect them to make a huge deal out of it.

I agree. Plus South Korea has been dealing with quite a lot with coronavirus. So, give them some time, they'll provide improvements. I'm confident.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Other than poor autofocus I don't know of any camera issues the phone is experiencing or what the patch is expected to fix.

Either way due to differences in hardware I don't expect it to ever focus as quickly as the S10, it doesn't have dual pixel auto focus.

SpaceJamzz

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why people are complaining...isn't everyone trading their Ultra for a Note 20 in September anyway??? :p

j/k....I think LOL

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
samsung has an ota update rolling out to fix some camera issues. so yea, they noticed and trying to fix it :)

They've been saying since the s9 they made a camera phone.. they can't get the software right. If you're waiting for "the" update... You're a dummy. Ain't gon happen. Install the Google apk and it's resolved. However why buy a 1400 turd to install Google camera.

Like buying a Porsche and having to swap the motor

HJStrawberry

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I personally am not having the jumpy auto focus issue, the camera just all around sucks. Every image is blurry except for small area due to excessive bokeh. It's virtually unusable to me and my main use is the camera.