Hi,

On my previous Note8 and S10+, the "Always on Display" would switch off whenever the proximity sensor was covered. So, when I closed the case cover and walked about, the screen would be completely black. As soon as I opened the case cover, the AOD would fire up.

This doesn't seem to be happening on my new S20+. It appears that the AOD does not switch off.

My battery life is pretty poor, and I think this may be why.

Can anybody else confirm that is expected behaviour? It would be much better if it switched off when not needed.

Thanks
    03-17-2020 05:07 PM
    Hi,

On my previous Note8 and S10+, the "Always on Display" would switch off whenever the proximity sensor was covered. So, when I closed the case cover and walked about, the screen would be completely black. As soon as I opened the case cover, the AOD would fire up.

This doesn't seem to be happening on my new S20+. It appears that the AOD does not switch off.

My battery life is pretty poor, and I think this may be why.

Can anybody else confirm that is expected behaviour? It would be much better if it switched off when not needed.

Thanks
    In the aod settings is it set for tap to show or always on? Dont know if that matters with the case or not though.
    03-17-2020 05:57 PM
    Not 10 AOD also doesn't turn off at all. I ended up using this app. It's awesome. Only turns on AOD when I have notifications and turns it off when I read them our swipe them away.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lwaysondisplay
    VW Maverick and rayporsche like this.
    03-17-2020 06:27 PM
    When the S10's came out, they removed the physical proximity sensor & replaced it with a digital sensor under the screen that only comes on while on a call. Each phone that has come out after the S10 is the same way. Yes, very frustrating. I had to change to " tap to display" because of it.
    03-17-2020 08:31 PM
    Ah, OK thanks, I could have sworn in worked like that on the S10+. Anyway, I'll try the recommended app above.

Cheers
    03-18-2020 04:33 AM
    On the back of this I just checked to test this on my Ultra and mine doesn't go off either. I investigated further and I can't get my proximity sensor to trigger at all even during a call. I know where it is or at least where it should be and it's doing nothing even if I cover the entire screen during a call.
    03-18-2020 04:35 AM
    Thats odd. Mine works during a phone call. Tested it multiple times. Maybe u need to get a replacement. Could be a hardware issue. When on a call do u see the dot to the right of the camera?
    03-18-2020 07:38 AM
    Thats odd. Mine works during a phone call. Tested it multiple times. Maybe u need to get a replacement. Could be a hardware issue. When on a call do u see the dot to the right of the camera?
    He's talking about his aod not turning off when in your pocket. The note 10 was the same way. Either it was designed this way or it's just a flaw in the new proximity sensors.
    03-18-2020 09:48 AM
    He's talking about his aod not turning off when in your pocket. The note 10 was the same way. Either it was designed this way or it's just a flaw in the new proximity sensors.
    Yes but he said its also not working when making a call too
    03-18-2020 09:59 AM
    Didn't see that part. However mine is hit or miss when on a call was the same way with my note 10+. That's why I believe it's a design flaw in the new sensors.
    03-18-2020 10:01 AM
    A few reboots later and mine seems to be working fine again (during calls etc) and I can see tbe sensor blinking away.
    03-18-2020 01:30 PM
    The Proximity Sensor is clearly still working when the phone is in your pocket as you still have 'accidental touch prevention'. I gave it a quick test just covering the sensor then trying to touch the screen so I dunno why they removed the Always On Display turning off also when in a pocket.
    Attached Thumbnails Always on display.... is always on? S20+-2001.jpg  
    03-18-2020 01:37 PM
    To confirm I understand. Are we saying when Always On Display is set to 'Always On', even while in ones pocket, the device screen is still on?

P.S. I have an ATT branded S20 Ultra.
    Yes. That appears to be the case.

I think I've found the culprit for my battery woes. I've set my connection to ignore 5G (I've not got a 5G SIM), and the battery life seems to be a lot better.
    03-19-2020 04:27 AM