Slight crack on Camera glass above the Flash, S20 Ultra.

johnnyrussoa3

Mar 14, 2019
Visit site
So I just noticed a slight crack on the camera housing right above the flash on my S20 Ultra. It goes across that whole corner. I haven't even dropped my phone! There is nothing I can do, is there? I do have Samsung Care, but I'd have to pay the deductible. So at this point should I just wait until it gets worse, or something else happens? In my whole life, I've never cracked or damaged any phone I've had. I can't believe this has already happened.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm sorry this happened to you , can you post a screenshot? I would wait a little then gets worse like you said go through insurance , Samsung wont warranty that most likely and blame you .

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Pic to see what it looks like?

So I just noticed a slight crack on the camera housing right above the flash on my S20 Ultra. It goes across that whole corner. I haven't even dropped my phone! There is nothing I can do, is there? I do have Samsung Care, but I'd have to pay the deductible. So at this point should I just wait until it gets worse, or something else happens? In my whole life, I've never cracked or damaged any phone I've had. I can't believe this has already happened.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

With my S8+ I did get Samsung to warranty fix a crack in the back glass that was sorta my fault. It had to do with the Gear VR.

You could be dishonest and tell them it came like that.:-X

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
I've seen this article https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-s20-ultra-design-flaw-rear-camera-glass-break/

It's saying that this has been reportedly happening to several ppl who say they never even dropped the phone which, if true, sucks! Just got my ultra yesterday and immediately put it in a defender case.

Yes been seeing it all over. Lots of people in the sammy forums are complaining about it. Saying its a defect and they need to recall the phone. Some of the pics ive seen are perfect holes right where the lense is so i doubt they dropped the phone.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Manufacturing defect. It was prestressed most likely if you didn't smack hard.
Contact Samsung and lean on them if need be.
Worth a try.
Won't kill the phone but I feel you...

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow, crazy I hope Sammy do the right thing and just fix them for free.
Yes been seeing it all over. Lots of people in the sammy forums are complaining about it. Saying its a defect and they need to recall the phone. Some of the pics ive seen are perfect holes right where the lense is so i doubt they dropped the phone.

Last edited:

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Has to be a dropped phone. No way the Camera lens get this for no reason. I've dropped my ultra a dozen times and I'm just lucky. Phone camera lenses don't Crack by themselves.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Has to be a dropped phone. No way the Camera lens get this for no reason. I've dropped my ultra a dozen times and I'm just lucky. Phone camera lenses don't Crack by themselves.
I don't know about the Ultra specifically but tempered glass can spontaneously shatter for a variety of reasons including defects in the manufacturing process. It happened on some LG G5s and V20s, as well as earlier Samsung devices. Of course some break because they are dropped or something pointy and hard pressed up against the glass.

Last edited:

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
If this has happened the way it's being reported then, I hope it's just a defect on a small # of devices and not all ultras. I've only had mine for 1 day so of course I can't speak on it. The ultra has had so much bad press because of these cameras, but so far I'm loving the device. I've taken advice from ppl on how to use the cameras correctly and my pics look great and I have 0 complaints. Hope it remains that way.

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
If this has happened the way it's being reported then, I hope it's just a defect on a small # of devices and not all ultras. I've only had mine for 1 day so of course I can't speak on it. The ultra has had so much bad press because of these cameras, but so far I'm loving the device. I've taken advice from ppl on how to use the cameras correctly and my pics look great and I have 0 complaints. Hope it remains that way.

I mean think about it. When we first get our phones we lokna them out of the case. If the phone had a crack on the camera lens it would stand out on a brand new phone. I've had my ultra since launch day and no way the phone will break for no reason. It has to be dropped outside most likely on concrete for it to break like in the above picture. A recalls for a camera lens would be ridiculous since the phones been out for a while now.

dbrodeo2000

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
When I purchased my S20 Ultra from T-Mobile they took it straight out of the box and installed a tempered glass screen protector on it. About 3 days later I noticed a small crack in the screen protector. I removed it because that type of thing bothers me when I look at the screen. Anyways, as I'm cleaning the phone screen I notice a large hairline crack in the screen on the phone. You could only notice this crack when the screen was wet with cleaner otherwise you couldn't see it at all. I still had the screen protector as it has a lifetime warranty so I compared the location of the cracks and they weren't anywhere near each other. I returned the phone to T-Mobile who tried to give me a hard time on getting another phone (they eventually did) but I'm pretty certain the phone came out of the box with the crack already there. Right after the screen protector was installed initially it was put directly in a case and was never dropped. It can definitely happen at the factory.

Here is a pic of it. It was hard to get a good pic, but you can kinda see it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Is there an update on your situation, OP? Did you contact Samsung? Also, that crack was painful to see... I'm sorry that happened to you! :(

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I mean think about it. When we first get our phones we lokna them out of the case. If the phone had a crack on the camera lens it would stand out on a brand new phone. I've had my ultra since launch day and no way the phone will break for no reason. It has to be dropped outside most likely on concrete for it to break like in the above picture. A recalls for a camera lens would be ridiculous since the phones been out for a while now.

The articles I read mentioned something to do with air pressure inside the housing could be at fault.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The articles I read mentioned something to do with air pressure inside the housing could be at fault.

The cameras aren't in a vacuumed housing right? Cause people like JerryRigs can tear it apart and pull out the camera/board right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781