Switching to home wifi network automatically?

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Bear with me on this.

I have Xfinity mobile. Part of the deal is when you are out and about if it picks up a xfinity wifi hotspot it will connect so as to not use LTE data.

My condo just happens to be in an xfinity hotspot area. So when I arrive home its on an xfinity hotspot.

How can I make the phone kick over to my home wifi network (router) without doing it manually everytime?

My home wifi is way faster, especially on the 5GHz than the xfinity hotspot. I usually forget to switch it over, but I realize when I try to make a phone call (wi-fi calling) that wi-fi calling doesn't work very well on the xfinity network.

Hope I explained it well enough. Curious if anyone else has this issue. Someone told me to use a bixby routine so when I am at home it will do it. But I don't see a spot to pick an actual network, just to use wifi.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
@Borgie question: does Xfinity Mobile force you to use Xfinity hotspots when possible? Asking because I've thought on and off about switching to Xfinity Mobile (I already have surrendered to Comcast in the area of Internet and cable).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I will try that. Will see if it still picks up other xfinity hotspots around town tomorrow. Thanks
If you delete Xfinity from your profile it won't connect to it around town either because it needs the password in the network profile. Just turn off auto reconnect in the setting for Xfinity instead or you'll have to re-enter the password each time you connect and delete it from your profile. This still won't solve your problem. Screenshot_20200322-015754_Settings.jpeg

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok, your welcome!

So that did not work. Drove around to places where i knew there was a xfinity hotspot. It saw them but would not connect until I clicked on it. Once I clicked on one it would connect to all of them including the one here. Guess I might give tasker a shot.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
If you delete Xfinity from your profile it won't connect to it around town either because it needs the password in the network profile. Just turn off auto reconnect in the setting for Xfinity instead or you'll have to re-enter the password each time you connect and delete it from your profile. This still won't solve your problem. View attachment 318258

But wouldn't that do the same as forgetting the network? I do want to to reconnect to any xfinity hotspot when I am out and about, but when I'm at home I want it to kick off and connect to my home network. Sounds the tasker is the program I need to get.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
@Borgie question: does Xfinity Mobile force you to use Xfinity hotspots when possible? Asking because I've thought on and off about switching to Xfinity Mobile (I already have surrendered to Comcast in the area of Internet and cable).

No, But thats the part of it that is good for me. I suppose if you have unlimited data with them you wouldn't need to turn it on, but I think they slow you down after 20GB of data.

For me, I am on the by the gig plan. I keep it under 1GB/month and my bills is 12 bucks for talk, text, data. I'm usually on wifi being home and at work. The main time I use data is on my commute for live traffic on Maps. I might use a little data hear and there otherwise but not much. So it is advantageous for me to have the wifi spots auto connect when available.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I thought you wanted to turn off hotspot .. I know Bixby routine doesn't have many options but I do see hotspot to off option ... my bad if I misunderstood...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
But wouldn't that do the same as forgetting the network? I do want to to reconnect to any xfinity hotspot when I am out and about, but when I'm at home I want it to kick off and connect to my home network. Sounds the tasker is the program I need to get.
Not the same because you don't need to add the password each time but still doesn't solve your problem

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So that did not work. Drove around to places where i knew there was a xfinity hotspot. It saw them but would not connect until I clicked on it. Once I clicked on one it would connect to all of them including the one here. Guess I might give tasker a shot.
Manage your network only connect to the ones you have on that list automatically.