Is every S20 Ultra dual sim capable?

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I've been on the wait list for a month now for a dual sim variant of the S20 Ultra 512GB. However, someone on reddit claims that they are all dual capable and his recognizes the second sim.

Can those with the Ultra please confirm whether this is actually true or not? If so, I would be confused as to why a dual sim specific model would even exist.

Thanks!

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been on the wait list for a month now for a dual sim variant of the S20 Ultra 512GB. However, someone on reddit claims that they are all dual capable and his recognizes the second sim.

Can those with the Ultra please confirm whether this is actually true or not? If so, I would be confused as to why a dual sim specific model would even exist.

Thanks!

There as been a lot of confusion about this and I too would like anyone that knows what is going on to please comment.
The way I understood it ALL S20’s have an eSIM installed. BUT, the US models will not be able to take advantage of this until a Software update Enables it???
Once enabled you can have a carrier working with the eSIM and another carrier’s SIM card installed in regular SIM card slot as well. This would basically do the same thing as the traditional Dual SIM models that have 2 SIM card Slots.
But, seems there is a lot of disagreement about if this is true and when / why it requires a Software Update to work??

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm the US there isn't dual SIM support as of now now they will release a separate dual SIM version here. Only thing they can do is enable the eSIM capability which will let you use 2 Sims. Not sure why they haven't worked with carriers still to have this working since those features are available on iPhones and Pixel in the US.

So if you are waiting for the official US dual SIM model there won't be any, but it's possible using software they can turn on eSIM functionality in US. Will they? No one knows.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm the US there isn't dual SIM support as of now now they will release a separate dual SIM version here. Only thing they can do is enable the eSIM capability which will let you use 2 Sims. Not sure why they haven't worked with carriers still to have this working since those features are available on iPhones and Pixel in the US.

So if you are waiting for the official US dual SIM model there won't be any, but it's possible using software they can turn on eSIM functionality in US. Will they? No one knows.

The whole eSIM thing was supposed to be helpful, but in the US the carriers got in the way and screwed everyone over. I remember when they first activated eSIM compatibility with iPhones carriers only allowed the 2nd SIM to be their own, and not one of their competitors. That might not have been the case for all the US carriers, but I remember it being an issue for some

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The whole eSIM thing was supposed to be helpful, but in the US the carriers got in the way and screwed everyone over. I remember when they first activated eSIM compatibility with iPhones carriers only allowed the 2nd SIM to be their own, and not one of their competitors.
Wasn't that mostly T-Mobile who had those restrictions and not sure if they still have that? But atleast with Verizon I believe you can use other carrier ones and definitely handy when traveling abroad.

But yeah in general the useless US carriers mess up everything. That's not a surprise at all

But in this instance I would definitely like to give Samsung equal blame, since Apple and Google got it working in the US with cooperation of the carriers. It may be not the best implementation but atleast they have it working compared to Samsung.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Wasn't that mostly T-Mobile who had those restrictions and not sure if they still have that? But atleast with Verizon I believe you can use other carrier ones and definitely handy when traveling abroad.

But yeah in general the useless US carriers mess up everything. That's not a surprise at all

But in this instance I would definitely like to give Samsung equal blame, since Apple and Google got it working in the US with cooperation of the carriers. It may be not the best implementation but atleast they have it working compared to Samsung.

TBF at least with the iPhone it took carriers a long time to pull the switch. It wasn't available at phone launch in the US.

Yeah, I can't remember exactly, but I do remember there were carrier restrictions in the beginning about using other networks. I'm on TMo so that may be why I remember it. I also don't know it they're still in place, but it's worth mentioning how bad the US carriers screw their customers every chance I get. LOL

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Makes me want to bring a class action suit against the US Carriers as they seem to hinder completion a lot more than help it...
This is just one example...long contracts with big termination fees and not to mention no accountability for poor service, dropped calls...list goes on
And....Don't get me started with how absolutely clueless their own reps are when it comes to activating Smartwatches with eSIM...
Okay, I'm done complaining

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's why I tend to keep my relation with them to minimum, just get service and done.

Can't remember last when I stepped foot into their stores or bought the carrier versions of any phone. Been happy for a few years now

If the service doesn't work for me or the crappy carrier doesn't play ball with unlocked/unbranded phones then I'll take my business elsewhere. Not tied to any of their bull****. That's my personal preference.

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
That's why I tend to keep my relation with them to minimum, just get service and done.

Can't remember last when I stepped foot into their stores or bought the carrier versions of any phone. Been happy for a few years now

If the service doesn't work for me or the crappy carrier doesn't play ball with unlocked/unbranded phones then I'll take my business elsewhere. Not tied to any of their bull****. That's my personal preference.

I’m with you 100%. Have purchased a Carrier Locked phone in years...

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
In the UK, all the S20 models are dual SIM. So, I guess it depends where you are?
Yes that's correct, we were discussing about the dual SIM situation in US for Samsung phones. We are aware outside US in many regions dual SIM options are available.

Last edited:

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I’m with you 100%. Have purchased a Carrier Locked phone in years...
I assume you mean "have not..."

I used to feel that way. Don't care. I use T-Mobile. They are good about unlocking it if you need that. I like some of their software that integrates with their service, like visual voicemail.

I love my carrier apps and HD + calling and wifi calling and visual voicemail.

Exactly

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I've been trying to get my hands on the 512GB Snapdragon dual sim variant since 1st day pre-orders opened. My only resources were Swiftronics and PDA Plaza. Unfortunately I've now been waiting quite some time and with zero idea on ETA of getting it. Last I heard they were coming in end of March. I've seen a few guys on Amazon and eBay with the 256GB versions and they claim that COVID caused a delay so now it could be early April ETA.

mikeact

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
As an aside, I've posted separately, but I am in desperate need of a replacement 2sim hybrid sim carrier. (The dog has wrecked mine...don't ask!)