Difference Between Samsung Upgrade and New Buy Back?

Harold2011

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
I am considering returning my S20 Ultra and purchasing it to enroll in Samsung buy back program. With that being said, I am enrolled in Samsung upgrade program and want to know difference? Thanks

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
I am considering returning my S20 Ultra and purchasing it to enroll in Samsung buy back program. With that being said, I am enrolled in Samsung upgrade program and want to know difference? Thanks

I got the phone on launch day and it seems im automatically enrolled in the buy back. I still have the option to return my device. So maybe you were too

rcab

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
you might want to check about availability for the new order before you return your current one.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I still have the option to return the phone and im way past the 14 days. According to the sammy website faq thats how u request the buyback. Through the return the phone link on your order.
How did you verify that you are in the program?
Definitely not the case for me. Pre ordered and day one delivery, my return option is not there. It's kind weird for them to default include all the phones which aren't in the program to buy back program. They aren't gaining anything by it.

Hopefully others can confirm who bought at launch.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was told the programs are basically the same. So I will just stick with my phone
In the Samsung upgrade program aren't you suppose to upgrade to another Samsung phone? Meaning the 50% credit is basically applied when you buy a new Samsung phone and select Samsung upgrade in your checkout option. So you are buying a new Samsung phone via Samsung upgrade program and getting 50% back for your old Samsung phone that you bought year back via this program.

In case of buyback program, you return the phone and 50% amount will be credited to your original method of payment. You aren't obligated to buy or upgrade to another Samsung phone when you return the phone via buy back program.

Also there is no eligiblity criteria of waiting 12 months like the Samsung upgrade program. You can get 50% back anytime you return the phone within 24 months. Meaning you can return in month 8 and still get 50% back as refund to your original payment method whereas in Samsung upgrade you'll have to wait 12 months to be eligible to upgrade for new Samsung phone and get 50% back.

Last edited:

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
Definitely not the case for me. Pre ordered and day one delivery, my return option is not there. It's kind weird for them to default include all the phones which aren't in the program to buy back program. They aren't gaining anything by it.

Hopefully others can confirm who bought at launch.

How did u purchase the phone? I did Samsung finance. Idk if that has something to do with it. I thought it seemed weird I would automatically be enrolled but at the same time its not fair that we canot enroll. There's a possibility im not enrolled idk but the option to return my phone is still there. Which doesn't make sense

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
How did u purchase the phone? I did Samsung finance. Idk if that has something to do with it. I thought it seemed weird I would automatically be enrolled but at the same time its not fair that we canot enroll. There's a possibility im not enrolled idk but the option to return my phone is still there. Which doesn't make sense

Credit card no financing, and unlocked model. About the fairness, generally Samsung has various offers through out the life cycle so I won't be mad about we not having that option. Even if it was there I would have still not chosen the 50% buy back because that will remove the max trade in offer. So I would have still chose the $700 trade in offer anyway and when I buy the Note 20 or S21 their trade in for S20 phones will be minimum $700 again.

But was just curious and thinking Samsung isn't gaining anything by automatically including all orders from launch in this offer. Then why do they even have the offer and you have to select? They can just say for all purchases the buy back guarantee applies. They change up offers 1st of every month and next month they will have a different set of offers.

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
Credit card no financing, and unlocked model. About the fairness, generally Samsung has various offers through out the life cycle so I won't be mad about we not having that option. Even if it was there I would have still not chosen the 50% buy back because that will remove the max trade in offer. So I would have still chose the $700 trade in offer anyway and when I buy the Note 20 or S21 their trade in for S20 phones will be minimum $700 again.

But was just curious and thinking Samsung isn't gaining anything by automatically including all orders from launch in this offer. Then why do they even have the offer and you have to select? They can just say for all purchases the buy back guarantee applies. They change up offers 1st of every month and next month they will have a different set of offers.

Agreed I really dont care about the program either. Ill just use the trade in when im ready. They really dont have anything to gain by enrolling everyone into the program and they most likely wont. I wonder if financing it through them has something to do with it though.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Agreed I really dont care about the program either. Ill just use the trade in when im ready. They really dont have anything to gain by enrolling everyone into the program and they most likely wont. I wonder if financing it through them has something to do with it though.
Yeah, doubt I will keep it two years so the trade in value in one year is already pretty close.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I did Samsung Financing on launch day and do not have this. I don't think it has anything to do with when or how you purchased. I think you had to have chosen something when you purchased.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781