O.k. I got to ask

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
if you buy a new Samsung unlocked phone from Best buy on 5G.

Will it work on any carrier ?

And 5 G work on all the carrier's.

And who is charging more for you to go to 5G services.

Who has the best 5G service right now.

Thinking about getting my wife a new note after August.
Her note 9 battery is starting to not last as long.

Wondering if it's the right time to get a new phone.
Of course this Corona virus is gonna have a lot to do with the decision making too.

I will have to let her decide which size she wants.
On the S20. S20+, And S20 untra.
Is the camera that much better in one than the other to make you change your mind.

Thsnks.

Rishit123

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend Samsung as they are overpriced. The same camera specs can be found in xiaomi or realme phones with much better memory as processing power. If you want to get better, wait for the OnePlus 8 Pro.

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site

Of course this Corona virus is gonna have a lot to do with the decision making too.

Is the camera that much better in one than the other to make you change your mind.

Thsnks.

Yes the unlocked works on any carrier. Just pop the sim card in and your all set. I have TMobile and dont get charged any extra for 5g and the same for my Verizon sim for work when i use it. Not sure about att. I cant say the difference in the models. I have the ultra and i love it especially with all the recent camera improvements. I will say the 100x zoom is not worth it so dont buy the ultra for that. It takes great pics up to 30x zoom . I haven't used the plus model which i hear is a great phone also. Don't listen to the trolls on here who bash the phone and dont actually own any model. Not sure what their deal is or why you would give advice on something you've never used. There's plenty of people on here that own the devices and can give u actual recommendations.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The phone will be for my wife.
She knows how to operate the Samsung phone..
She likes the note.
Uses the stylus a lot.
I would like to keep her on the same page as she is on.
She has a lot to keep up with.
Especially taking me back and forth to the hospital.

Looking, I think the plus model might be the closest phone for her.
But she will have to decide that.
Not me.

How's 5G coming alone today.
Does the Houston area have much of it.

We are on Verizon.
Cause at our house in the country, you have a lot of trouble getting a signal.

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
The phone will be for my wife.
She knows how to operate the Samsung phone..
She likes the note.
Uses the stylus a lot.
I would like to keep her on the same page as she is on.
She has a lot to keep up with.
Especially taking me back and forth to the hospital.

Looking, I think the plus model might be the closest phone for her.
But she will have to decide that.
Not me.

How's 5G coming alone today.
Does the Houston area have much of it.

We are on Verizon.
Cause at our house in the country, you have a lot of trouble getting a signal.

I would wait till August then for the note 20 and skip the s20 for her. And if u have a lot of trouble getting a regular signal at your home you most likely won't get a good 5 g signal either. Otherwise you can look on Verizon website for their 5g coverage map to get the best answer for where you live

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Thsnks.

5G Price:
TMobile for now, is not charging more for access to their 5G network.
Both AT&T and Verizon require you to have one of their higher priced “Unlimited” plans to be able to get 5G access

5G Phones:
Only the Unlocked S20+ and S20 Ultra have all the radios to pick up all 3 (Low-Mid-High Band) 5G signals that are planned so far

Best 5G Signal:
This one is harder as 5G is truly still in its infancy...my opinion is that 5G will really start to blossom in 2021 so if you usually keep your phones for 2-3 years then you should be fine with the S20+ or Ultra

Side Note:
If the Camera is a huge deal for you, you may want to read up on the Ultra as there has been 3 updates to try and fix some zooming issues but no such problems for the S20+ as it’s camera is a little different.

IMO:
I went with the Unlocked S20+ and I LOVE it. For now I am using a TMO SIM and I pick up the new 600 MHz signal all over and the phone shows 5G
I usually upgrade and trade in every year and have never had any issues with Samsung. I may keep this phone for a solid 2 years just to see how far the 5G build gets, but i often cave in due to the massive trade in discounts and free accessories that Samsung seems to offer for early adopters :)

If this helps, please do hit the Like Button and thanks...

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Decisions, decisions. Decisions.

My wife is about 5'1"

I have to keep in mind that she don't have hands as big as mine.

And how much phone can you get in your pocket.
Mine has fallen out of my back pocket a lot and broke the back glass.
She has skint her front glass on the top right side.
I won't be able to listen to them. Give me a hard time about how much its worth. They act like the money is coming out of their pocket.
So I won't be trading a phone in.

Wished 5G would come out better.
If its going to cost that much more.
I will not pay for it.

The carriers are making so much money now.
And they are so slow to upgrade their equipment.

My wife works in Houston.
We live in the country..
So the 5G would be for her.
And she would use 5g when she is in Houston.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend Samsung as they are overpriced. The same camera specs can be found in xiaomi or realme phones with much better memory as processing power. If you want to get better, wait for the OnePlus 8 Pro.
Most of the brands you mentioned aren't available in the US. And some do prefer certain brands or companies and it's always not about the cost. With so many Samsung deals going on in the US, Samsung prices are almost similar to OnePlus 8 pro so it comes down to preference of brand with prices almost in similar usual flagship range.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
If you buy a new Unlocked Say Samsung Phone today.

How many people has bought a 5G Phone and actually use very much 5G

How much coverage it really out there.

I try to look at the 5G maps.
Seems it keeps trying to take me somewhere else.

If there is no 5G coverage.
Why are 5G phones available.

Why so much advertisement on the 5G phones.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Don't get a phone for 5G right now, that won't be a big deal for at least a couple years. Remember, 5G is a weaker signal so it'll be awhile before it's 4G signal quality worthy.

If your wife uses the S pen a lot, you have your answer, stay with the note series.

mad33man

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Unless you live in a stadium or arena you can pretty much forget about VZW 5G. I have T-Mobile and the signal strength and speed is pretty much the same as 4G right now. I'm not going to say 5G is a gimmick but it is really immature in US right now. You will get pretty much the same coverage you have right now. Although I will say in recent years if you have a device that is 600mhz capable, which the Note 9 is I think, T mobile speed and coverage in rural areas where they have it is really good and fast. Buy the device you like not because of 5G but because of the features that work for you. If you are on Verizon, don't expect 5G outside of major downtown areas for a while.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Unless you live in a stadium or arena you can pretty much forget about VZW 5G. I have T-Mobile and the signal strength and speed is pretty much the same as 4G right now. I'm not going to say 5G is a gimmick but it is really immature in US right now. You will get pretty much the same coverage you have right now. Although I will say in recent years if you have a device that is 600mhz capable, which the Note 9 is I think, T mobile speed and coverage in rural areas where they have it is really good and fast. Buy the device you like not because of 5G but because of the features that work for you. If you are on Verizon, don't expect 5G outside of major downtown areas for a while.
Exactly. Carriers are claiming 5G in a lot of cities, but in reality it's only in downtown areas.. Very limited. It takes several years to fully deploy a new system Nationwide and I think 5G will take longer as 5G signal doesn't travel as far so there will have to be more towers put up. Buying a phone for 5G right now is not very useful, but Qualcomm forced 5G on the new processor, so here we are. The note 20 will have the same processor and 5G won't be any better yet. 5G won't be a huge deal for 2 or 3 years yet IMO

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Buying a phone for 5G right now is not very useful, but Qualcomm forced 5G on the new processor, so here we are. The note 20 will have the same processor and 5G won't be any better yet. 5G won't be a huge deal for 2 or 3 years yet IMO
You also have to ask yourself what's the real world benefit for you.

"I can download movies in HD in seconds!"

So what, are you planning to watch them in fast forward? 4G is already plenty fast enough for anything you could do on a phone.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Thsnks.

If your wife uses the Note's SPen then do not get her an S20x. She sounds like me, I use the SPen all the time to take notes. The handwriting recognition is very valuable.

I have been using Notes since the Note 8 tablet was released years ago. I have used Note phones since the Note 4. If someone gave me a gift of a non Note phone I would return the phone.

For someone who uses their phone for work, a surprise phone gift is not a good idea. Talk to your wife and ask her what she wants.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
We don't download no movies for nothing. Somebody has to pay for them.

She don't have internet when she stays in Houston. I was hoping that she could use 5G and download the things that she needs to do that is faster than 4G.

The Government needs to take over the 5G Stuff. and reward people who put it up.

Or stop the BS and let the Chinese in the U.S. and let them put 5G up.
They have been jacking around with 5G for 3 yrs or longer.

Stop 5G advertising, Stop promoting 5G phones.

If its about money.
Put 5G up now or Shutup.

This is totally BS to me.

The carriers are making plenty of money off people with cell phones.
We are talking about Billions a month.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
We don't download no movies for nothing. Somebody has to pay for them.

She don't have internet when she stays in Houston. I was hoping that she could use 5G and download the things that she needs to do that is faster than 4G.

The Government needs to take over the 5G Stuff. and reward people who put it up.

Or stop the BS and let the Chinese in the U.S. and let them put 5G up.
They have been jacking around with 5G for 3 yrs or longer.

Stop 5G advertising, Stop promoting 5G phones.

If its about money.
Put 5G up now or Shutup.

This is totally BS to me.

The carriers are making plenty of money off people with cell phones.
We are talking about Billions a month.

Lol to the 'billions a month'.

5G exists, it's just not mature for carriers like verizon. Att and TMobile have started rolling out their sub 6 5G, which doesn't have too many speed improvements, but does have capacity improvements. Networks take time. LTE was the same way.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Look how long they have been talking 5G in a few months.
The end of the year.
Next year.
I've been saying I'll believe it when I see it the whole time. They are deploying 5G in downtown areas in the cities and calling it nationwide. Until it works like 4G, it isn't Nationwide, and that will take time as they will need to add to the infrastructure as the 5G signal is weaker.

Anyone know if this is true.. I've had people tell me that with 5G, they are going to bounce the signal off everyone's phone's to help compensate for the weaker signal. That sounds like a hacker dream come true to me.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know if this is true.. I've had people tell me that with 5G, they are going to bounce the signal off everyone's phone's to help compensate for the weaker signal. That sounds like a hacker dream come true to me.

I haven't heard of signal bouncing 5G, but my phone can be used as a WiFi extender with an opt-in setting. So from a technical standpoint, that would be possible.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I've been saying I'll believe it when I see it the whole time. They are deploying 5G in downtown areas in the cities and calling it nationwide. Until it works like 4G, it isn't Nationwide, and that will take time as they will need to add to the infrastructure as the 5G signal is weaker.

Verizon said they were to put round transmitters on top of telephone poles, and towers.
And they was going to use these transmitters to bounce the signals.

Problem is. How long are they gonna wait till they start putting them up.
And the frequency they start with, and the phones we buy.
How long before they change the frequency and the 5g phone we buy will no longer work.
A billion dollars company doing nothing