OnePlus 8 Event enough to make you switch?

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
So with the event and reviews being out, I’m curious who is thinking about switching to one of the new OnePlus phones? I know I’m debating getting the Pro. I’ll do a bit more reading today but it’s really interesting me. Only thing I didn’t like is how the base model is a greenish blue tint and if you want black it’s $100 more on the Pro. That’s the part I’m struggling with. What are y’all thinking?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It looks awesome but I hate no micro SD card slot. I have a ton of pics, music and movies on mine and I love being able to just swap the card and instantly have all of it on my new phone immediately. I know SD slots are dying out on phones but it's an important feature for me. With that said, I think the phone seems amazing! I'd love to be able to test drive one for a week as a daily driver.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The Pro looks nice. I am going to pass since it looks like AT&T is not playing nicely with OnePlus. I tried the 7 and 7 Pro and neither worked very well on AT&T (dropped calls, lack of reception, slow speeds, etc.) and now I see that AT&T will not certify the 8 Pro for 5G on AT&T's network. I am not that concerned about 5G, but it likely means that AT&T will not allow its features (HD Voice, wifi calling, etc.) to work. More importantly, I doubt the reception issues from the 7 will be fixed. I will see what other AT&T users report once it comes out, but right now I have to pass. BTW, I am with you on wanting the base level in black.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
With recent $200 price drop on the 20+ I feel the OnePlus 8 Pro is dead even with the 20+ and think camera-wise would be dead even too trading wins back and forth like you see in the Ultra videos. I personally feel the S20+ is the best S20 of the three so for me so I'd choose the 20+ for the other personal preferences like Samsung Pay and Bixby vision for tranlating that I use frequently. And other things like Secure Folder. Look forward to seeing what they do with the McLaren edition when they most likely will release one later in year.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
With recent $200 price drop on the 20+ I feel the OnePlus 8 Pro is dead even with the 20+ and think camera-wise would be dead even too trading wins back and forth like you see in the Ultra videos. I personally feel the S20+ is the best S20 of the three so for me so I'd choose the 20+ for the other personal preferences like Samsung Pay and Bixby vision for tranlating that I use frequently. And other things like Secure Folder. Look forward to seeing what they do with the McLaren edition when they most likely will release one later in year.

The camera points he made about more useable photos with the OnePlus in low light with kids is a big point for me. That’s almost enough for me to pull the trigger.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No switching getting the 8 Pro, but may sell the S20 Ultra down the line in couple of months of I like the 8 Pro. They have addressed couple of my main concerns in terms of adding wireless charging and improving camera (have to test out myself). But the 8 Pro overall looks like a solid device that can go head to head with any phone.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I don't find anything that makes me want to swap out my Note + for the pro ... It's nice they added wireless charging and I'm still not convinced the camera is improved enough ...

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had the OnePlus 8 pro in my sights for awhile. I almost returned my 20 plus to wait for the 8 plus and then decide. Kind of wish I had pulled the trigger on returning my 20 plus ,but, I have to say I'm not unhappy with the Sammy phone either. I've had Sammy phones from the Fascinate all the way through this 20 plus and I'm just suffering from Sammy fatigue and feel like it might be time to try something else.

I've had terrible experiences with Samsung support both with phones and TV's and I sure wouldn't miss that, but I have no experience with Oneplus support so I have no idea what to expect there.

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Not worth it for me downgrading to the one plus pro isn't enough. The cameras finally made a jump to ok right behind the S20 series. Google and Apple are still king in the camera department

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Not worth it for me downgrading to the one plus pro isn't enough. The cameras finally made a jump to ok right behind the S20 series. Google and Apple are still king in the camera department

Other than the SD card what would you deem as a downgrade? Different ways of doing things but they are basically on par.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Like the faster wireless charging but the lack of Samsung pay(fully aware of why it's not supported) and lack of bands on unlocked model(I have verizon and T-Mobile) kills it for me. Will wait to see it in the wild as I'm a tech geek that's always itching to try the latest plus green is my favorite color so we'll see
Other than the SD card what would you deem as a downgrade? Different ways of doing things but they are basically on par.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've always loved OnePlus phones. Itsa bit disappointing that the prices are getting higher but with an IP 68 rating on the 8 Pro and supposed good camera specs, it is to be expected!

I'll stick with my S10 for now but will see what OnePlus is doing a year or so from now.

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

The screen size isn't the Ultras size. We all know the Galaxy series has the best screens. Why would one plus put the camera on the corner instead of the middle. The S20 series I believe is better and crafted to last longer. One plus are a great phone but now they are inching closer to almost a 1000. The IPhone SE 2020 basically showed ONE Plus that the formula of a cheap phone is still around. I wouldn't jump to a One Plus phone because it just came out.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Actually the OnePlus 8 Pro has the best/highest rated screen tested over even the Ultra's. But of course it's a Samsung panel.

https://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-8-series-displaymate-1101754/

I think I saw a video somewhere side by side it's also much brighter than the Ultra I don't remember the nits. That's one think I find more important cause I think my Note 8 was rated over 1000 nits?? In the bright Florida sun I have never had a moment where the screen wasn't vibrantly bright. The ole days couldn't see what was on your screen in the Florida sun.

(Edit) Found the mention of the 8 Pro's brightness. Forward to the 4:00 min mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHWnTJwxsKM

They still have their smaller OnePlus 8 at $699 which even after the recent $200 price lowering from Samsung is cheaper than the standard S20.

But yeah that $399 iPhone SE is crazy low for a solid budget phone. They really have their line up covering all their bases to compete in the foreign markets.

The screen size isn't the Ultras size. We all know the Galaxy series has the best screens. Why would one plus put the camera on the corner instead of the middle. The S20 series I believe is better and crafted to last longer. One plus are a great phone but now they are inching closer to almost a 1000. The IPhone SE 2020 basically showed ONE Plus that the formula of a cheap phone is still around. I wouldn't jump to a One Plus phone because it just came out.