Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra DXOMARK score of 122

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing, also I see OnePlus pro 8 listed on their site without any score. What's up with that?

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
S20 Ultra Zoom score: 88
P40 Pro: 115

it's funny that the thing that Samsung brought the most attention to falls woefully short relative to the highest score.

great overall score for the camera, but for the price compared to the others on the list, it's disappointing that it doesn't even crack top 5.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
i think that might be why it was so late, is because they were waiting for an update? but then again, i also can't imagine how long it takes to test and write up an article this extensive. it did get an autofocus score of 97 compared to the P40 Pro's 100.

to be fair, they shouldn't have had to wait for an update before reviewing.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i think that might be why it was so late, is because they were waiting for an update? but then again, i also can't imagine how long it takes to test and write up an article this extensive. it did get an autofocus score of 97 compared to the P40 Pro's 100.

Agree shouldn't have to , but if camera was having issues out the gate then understand to wait a bit .

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

it's funny that the thing that Samsung brought the most attention to falls woefully short relative to the highest score.

great overall score for the camera, but for the price compared to the others on the list, it's disappointing that it doesn't even crack top 5.
I'm speaking for myself but none of these numbers matter as long as I'm happy with the results. I will say that Samsung did raise everyone's expectations with their marketing and seems to have fallen short on delivery.

DanielLoreti

Sep 20, 2018
Visit site

For all the autofocus complaints, that's a pretty good score.

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
They way they advertised the camera it should have been tops right out of the gate. With that being said after the updates i am happy with the camera and i think it takes excellent pictures up to 30x zoom. i also didn't buy an ultra for the camera. If camera is tops on your list when getting a phone then any Samsung phone shouldn't be your first choice.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
For all the autofocus complaints, that's a pretty good score.

a little higher than i'd personally give them, but then again, i don't do it for a living so they must know more than i do.

They way they advertised the camera it should have been tops right out of the gate. With that being said after the updates i am happy with the camera and i think it takes excellent pictures up to 30x zoom. i also didn't buy an ultra for the camera. If camera is tops on your list when getting a phone then any Samsung phone shouldn't be your first choice.

yup. i'm guilty of that. never again, though. as a veteran sneakerhead, i thought i would be above falling prey to hype, but this time, hype definitely got me.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The overall score for just the camera was quite high though. I’d say the phone will likely be exceptional at some point but when that time comes it might be the time the hype wagon is barreling down on the Note 20 release. Lol

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
108mp may be done. Maybe the Note 20 with have 150mp sensor (and this is just me guessing) after reading the below article of Xiaomi releasing a phone with Samsung's new 150mp sensor :confused:

And the article says they are already working on their 250mp sensore on their way to their 600mp sensor.

Samsung seems to be playing a race game to 600mp.

https://www.androidcentral.com/xiao...tw_card&utm_content=88956&utm_campaign=social

The overall score for just the camera was quite high though. I’d say the phone will likely be exceptional at some point but when that time comes it might be the time the hype wagon is barreling down on the Note 20 release. Lol

rdrive41071

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site

I don't see how anyone can currently beat the s20 Ultra's camera zoom. Minus the 100x zoom which everyone knws is a gimmick - the zoom on the camera is most definitely one of the cameras strong points. Can anyone confirm that the p40 pro is that much better in the (Zoom) category? I don't have any experience with the p40.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't see how anyone can currently beat the s20 Ultra's camera zoom. Minus the 100x zoom which everyone knws is a gimmick - the zoom on the camera is most definitely one of the cameras strong points. Can anyone confirm that the p40 pro is that much better in the (Zoom) category? I don't have any experience with the p40.

Not to sound sarcastic at all, but the proof was the actual review. They had a specific section where they compared and gave quantifiable evidence as opposed to opinion. I think it was well done and was fair in it's review.

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
Article regarding the autofocus. Titled: It might be impossible to fix this one Galaxy S20 Ultra autofocus issue

"Basically, it’s a physical characteristic of the Galaxy S20 Ultra’s 108MP camera that owners of the device will have to live with."

https://www.sammobile.com/news/impossible-fix-one-galaxy-s20-ultra-autofocus-issue/

It will be interesting to see how they fix this on upcoming phones. . It doesn't sound like this sensor is going away. I usually zoom in from further away and get great close up shots but thats not always easy to do.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if this camera setup, while impressive, is something that is more of a showcase of potential tech, versus a trend that all phones will inevitably adopt. case in point, there's THIS thing:
Samsung-Galaxy-Round.jpg
i mean, there's innovation that's adopted across the board (fingerprint sensors over pins, gestures over buttons, the loss of homebutons) , and then there's anomalies that are maybe meant to push the industry, but are actually evolutionary dead ends.

i only think this because while 108mp is nice, it's often comapred to the 11pro's 12mp camera. maybe there's a point where you just need to accept that if you want some DSLR-quality pictures, you need to actually invest in a DSLR. while the phone can get close, people will continually be disappointed because companies are trying to exceed the physical limitations of a smartphone case, which is in direct competition with the components you need to provide in order to get a decent 108mp camera.

...or at least we're not there YET and have multiple iterations to go before we get something that we talk about in the same vein as the iphone or pixel camera.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000