Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra DXOMARK score of 122

https://www.dxomark.com/samsung-gala...camera-review/
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
    04-22-2020 05:53 AM
    https://www.sammobile.com/news/galax...xomark-review/

Sammobile didn't pull any punches there... "This seems to be the Galaxy S20 Ultra’s theme, i.e, great potential but lackluster execution. At least as far as the cameras go. "
    04-22-2020 10:34 AM
    Thanks for sharing, also I see OnePlus pro 8 listed on their site without any score. What's up with that?
    04-22-2020 02:11 PM
    Thanks for sharing, also I see OnePlus pro 8 listed on their site without any score. What's up with that?
    Probably still in testing it takes a bit sometimes to finish it all
    bhatech likes this.
    04-22-2020 02:36 PM
    S20 Ultra Zoom score: 88
    P40 Pro: 115

it's funny that the thing that Samsung brought the most attention to falls woefully short relative to the highest score.

great overall score for the camera, but for the price compared to the others on the list, it's disappointing that it doesn't even crack top 5.
    04-22-2020 02:53 PM
    I didn't read the article , did they test this before updates to the camera or after ?
    04-22-2020 03:20 PM
    i think that might be why it was so late, is because they were waiting for an update? but then again, i also can't imagine how long it takes to test and write up an article this extensive. it did get an autofocus score of 97 compared to the P40 Pro's 100.

to be fair, they shouldn't have had to wait for an update before reviewing.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    04-22-2020 03:24 PM
    i think that might be why it was so late, is because they were waiting for an update? but then again, i also can't imagine how long it takes to test and write up an article this extensive. it did get an autofocus score of 97 compared to the P40 Pro's 100.

Agree shouldn't have to , but if camera was having issues out the gate then understand to wait a bit .
    04-22-2020 03:29 PM

it's funny that the thing that Samsung brought the most attention to falls woefully short relative to the highest score.

great overall score for the camera, but for the price compared to the others on the list, it's disappointing that it doesn't even crack top 5.
    I'm speaking for myself but none of these numbers matter as long as I'm happy with the results. I will say that Samsung did raise everyone's expectations with their marketing and seems to have fallen short on delivery.
    MoreDef and rdrive41071 like this.
    04-22-2020 04:01 PM

For all the autofocus complaints, that's a pretty good score.
    04-22-2020 04:02 PM
    They way they advertised the camera it should have been tops right out of the gate. With that being said after the updates i am happy with the camera and i think it takes excellent pictures up to 30x zoom. i also didn't buy an ultra for the camera. If camera is tops on your list when getting a phone then any Samsung phone shouldn't be your first choice.
    04-22-2020 04:14 PM
    For all the autofocus complaints, that's a pretty good score.
    a little higher than i'd personally give them, but then again, i don't do it for a living so they must know more than i do.

They way they advertised the camera it should have been tops right out of the gate. With that being said after the updates i am happy with the camera and i think it takes excellent pictures up to 30x zoom. i also didn't buy an ultra for the camera. If camera is tops on your list when getting a phone then any Samsung phone shouldn't be your first choice.
    yup. i'm guilty of that. never again, though. as a veteran sneakerhead, i thought i would be above falling prey to hype, but this time, hype definitely got me.
    04-22-2020 04:42 PM
    The overall score for just the camera was quite high though. I’d say the phone will likely be exceptional at some point but when that time comes it might be the time the hype wagon is barreling down on the Note 20 release. Lol
    04-23-2020 07:33 AM
    108mp may be done. Maybe the Note 20 with have 150mp sensor (and this is just me guessing) after reading the below article of Xiaomi releasing a phone with Samsung's new 150mp sensor

And the article says they are already working on their 250mp sensore on their way to their 600mp sensor.

Samsung seems to be playing a race game to 600mp.

https://www.androidcentral.com/xiaom...ampaign=social

The overall score for just the camera was quite high though. I’d say the phone will likely be exceptional at some point but when that time comes it might be the time the hype wagon is barreling down on the Note 20 release. Lol
    04-23-2020 09:34 AM
    https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsu...eatures-video/

This made me lol. They should perfect this first before moving on. Its good but not perfect.
    04-23-2020 11:05 AM

I don't see how anyone can currently beat the s20 Ultra's camera zoom. Minus the 100x zoom which everyone knws is a gimmick - the zoom on the camera is most definitely one of the cameras strong points. Can anyone confirm that the p40 pro is that much better in the (Zoom) category? I don't have any experience with the p40.
    04-23-2020 12:38 PM
    I don't see how anyone can currently beat the s20 Ultra's camera zoom. Minus the 100x zoom which everyone knws is a gimmick - the zoom on the camera is most definitely one of the cameras strong points. Can anyone confirm that the p40 pro is that much better in the (Zoom) category? I don't have any experience with the p40.
    Not to sound sarcastic at all, but the proof was the actual review. They had a specific section where they compared and gave quantifiable evidence as opposed to opinion. I think it was well done and was fair in it's review.
    04-23-2020 12:53 PM
    Article regarding the autofocus. Titled: It might be impossible to fix this one Galaxy S20 Ultra autofocus issue

"Basically, it’s a physical characteristic of the Galaxy S20 Ultra’s 108MP camera that owners of the device will have to live with."

https://www.sammobile.com/news/impos...tofocus-issue/
    04-23-2020 01:09 PM
    Article regarding the autofocus. Titled: It might be impossible to fix this one Galaxy S20 Ultra autofocus issue

"Basically, it’s a physical characteristic of the Galaxy S20 Ultra’s 108MP camera that owners of the device will have to live with."

https://www.sammobile.com/news/impos...tofocus-issue/
    It will be interesting to see how they fix this on upcoming phones. . It doesn't sound like this sensor is going away. I usually zoom in from further away and get great close up shots but thats not always easy to do.
    04-23-2020 01:32 PM
    I wonder if this camera setup, while impressive, is something that is more of a showcase of potential tech, versus a trend that all phones will inevitably adopt. case in point, there's THIS thing:
    Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra DXOMARK score of 122-samsung-galaxy-round.jpg
    i mean, there's innovation that's adopted across the board (fingerprint sensors over pins, gestures over buttons, the loss of homebutons) , and then there's anomalies that are maybe meant to push the industry, but are actually evolutionary dead ends.

i only think this because while 108mp is nice, it's often comapred to the 11pro's 12mp camera. maybe there's a point where you just need to accept that if you want some DSLR-quality pictures, you need to actually invest in a DSLR. while the phone can get close, people will continually be disappointed because companies are trying to exceed the physical limitations of a smartphone case, which is in direct competition with the components you need to provide in order to get a decent 108mp camera.

...or at least we're not there YET and have multiple iterations to go before we get something that we talk about in the same vein as the iphone or pixel camera.
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-23-2020 02:11 PM
    Does the 48MP Telephoto lens kick in at 5X zoom?
    04-23-2020 10:18 PM
    The DxOMark articles themselves are interesting and make for a good read, but their scoring system is an inconsistent mess.
    We know exactly why the Ultra struggles with autofocus: Samsung used too few photodiodes for phase detection for the sensor size, and you can only do so much in software to address the hardware limitations. Other cameras have photodiodes across the entire sensor for phase detection.

Now, this is where DxOMark credibility takes a hit.

They described the S20 Ultra autofocus using terms like "weakness", "underperformed", "much slower", and "disappointing".
    DxOMark also tested a phone that, arguably, has one of the best AF systems in the world. They said it was "lightning fast, finding focus consistently and accurately in all lighting conditions"

So, one phone sucks at autofocus, the other phone is amazing at autofocus, and DxOMark gives them the same score.
    rdrive41071 and Gray Area like this.
    04-25-2020 09:57 AM
    Not to sound sarcastic at all, but the proof was the actual review. They had a specific section where they compared and gave quantifiable evidence as opposed to opinion. I think it was well done and was fair in it's review.
    Agreed. The P40 Pro was clearly better in the sample shots.
    04-25-2020 10:01 AM
    I wonder if this camera setup, while impressive, is something that is more of a showcase of potential tech, versus a trend that all phones will inevitably adopt. case in point, there's THIS thing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Samsung-Galaxy-Round.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	319647
    i mean, there's innovation that's adopted across the board (fingerprint sensors over pins, gestures over buttons, the loss of homebutons) , and then there's anomalies that are maybe meant to push the industry, but are actually evolutionary dead ends.

i only think this because while 108mp is nice, it's often comapred to the 11pro's 12mp camera. maybe there's a point where you just need to accept that if you want some DSLR-quality pictures, you need to actually invest in a DSLR. while the phone can get close, people will continually be disappointed because companies are trying to exceed the physical limitations of a smartphone case, which is in direct competition with the components you need to provide in order to get a decent 108mp camera.

...or at least we're not there YET and have multiple iterations to go before we get something that we talk about in the same vein as the iphone or pixel camera.
    The solution is simple. Build a camera that can make phone calls and run apps.
    04-26-2020 09:14 AM
    The solution is simple. Build a camera that can make phone calls and run apps.
    They did... It was called the Galaxy S4 Zoom LOL

You know... when iPhone decided to break against their normal styling cues and go with the larger than normal Norelco camera bump/square, after all the initial teasing, the competitors felt they had carte blanche to just go crazy on the bump to get bigger sensors and lens systems in until we are now with the Ultra. We just may see a rebirth of the Samsung Zoom with 600mp sensor LOL.

Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra DXOMARK score of 122-capture.jpg
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-26-2020 10:16 AM