Upgrading to S20 - Need some advice

Pastorhss

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I am upgrading from a carrier [T-Mobile] S9 to an unlocked S20 5G.

1) Should I use Smart Switch [as I've done in the past] or do you recommend doing a clean install?

2) I've been a Nova Premium user for years. Do you think One UI 2.0 on S20 deserves a chance?

I really look forward to the great help, as usual.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Smart Switch will be fine. I back everything up to my Google Drive account and all app data is transferred with no issues.

I too use Nova. While One UI has improved, I do not think it's worth giving too much a chance. There is still way too much lacking for me to ditch Nova. One UI does not offer even close to the amount of function I need. Try it out for yourself though. Depending on what features you actually use in Nova, it might be fine for you.

Pastorhss

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks mustang7757. I'm a power user, but not a great techy. I've seen a lot of your posts. I know I'm getting good advice.

Pastorhss

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Abosworth007. You made my day. I really can't imagine not using Nova. I've done a lot of research and seen a lot of reviews videos. One UI 2.0 looks nice, but Nova features are awesome.

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Personally I used smart switch and it worked perfectly wirelessly. I'm currently using the stock launcher and enjoy it just fine though Nova looks great on it. The main reason I don't use Nova is it's not compatible with the "recents" gesture and I prefer gesture navigation over a navigation bar. If you prefer gestures, it'll be the stock launcher by default unfortunately

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks mustang7757. I'm a power user, but not a great techy. I've seen a lot of your posts. I know I'm getting good advice.
Thank you :)
I use Samsung cloud mainly, but I do make backups from smart switch, sd card etc.

Main thing you don't want settings , home screen set up stuff like that to cross over do to different on UI versions can cause issues.

Edit: I always made back up to Google drive for nova and rename to the date I did the back up that way everthing you made custom is there again and makes it a lot easier.