Transferring data from S20 Ultra to S21 Ultra: no OTG adapter in box, how to transfer?

Angie Jones1

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I tried transferring my data from my S10+ to my S20 Ultra via WiFi, it was a nightmare, so I went to backup and reset and restored my backups from Google servers. It was brilliant because my S20 Ultra is set up like my S10+, even down to the layout of my home screen and folders! 🙂

Lawrence Schweitzer

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
was wondering the following. I have a S20 Ultra and I use widgets on home screen. I ordered the S21Ultra. When I go to transfer all from the S20, will the home screen as set up also transfer. Or do I need to recreate the home screen?

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
If you use smart switch or cloud backup it should transfer as long as apps are selected on the transfer.
was wondering the following. I have a S20 Ultra and I use widgets on home screen. I ordered the S21Ultra. When I go to transfer all from the S20, will the home screen as set up also transfer. Or do I need to recreate the home screen?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
i also miss the notification light.

i've always thought that as there is this always on screen feature, why wouldn't they be able to use a few pixels for a proxy for a notification light? boggles my mind.

OT from this thread, but they also ruined the always on display when they made the colors mandatory. When it was all white I could clearly see what notifications I had. Now, some of the notification icons are dark blue for instance and you just can't see them well. It drives me crazy that they don't give us an option for it just being all one color.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
When I went from S10+ to S20, I'm almost certain I used USBC to USBC and home screen was there waiting for me. This time, I'm using Microsoft Launcher so that part probably wont, but then that is backed up on OneDrive and ready to restore.

pags11

Mar 5, 2019
Visit site
If you use smart switch or cloud backup it should transfer as long as apps are selected on the transfer.

Only issue I had last year using Smart Switch over Wi-Fi was my Samsung Calendar not transferring over. To your point, though, Samsung Cloud should be able to restore most anything to your new phone that Smart Switch doesn't transfer over.

I should also mention that last year I transferred over Wi-Fi. This year I'm going to use the USB-C to USB-C cable to transfer things over via Smart Switch. Have read that this is the preferred method unless you have a ton of files to transfer over.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Only issue I had last year using Smart Switch over Wi-Fi was my Samsung Calendar not transferring over. To your point, though, Samsung Cloud should be able to restore most anything to your new phone that Smart Switch doesn't transfer over.

I should also mention that last year I transferred over Wi-Fi. This year I'm going to use the USB-C to USB-C cable to transfer things over via Smart Switch. Have read that this is the preferred method unless you have a ton of files to transfer over.

I just hit backup on my phone and than restore on new phone. I hope that's all I need to do. I know something happened on my S10+ from a theme I installed and I had to reset and I hit restore and all my home screens came back up with everything in their folders. I hope it's the same this time around.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
i've generally followed the rules carefully, i.e. checking the correct boxes for items i'd like the Smart Transfer to transfer, but there were a couple of ambiguous things and i wasn't sure what to do, and i had to make a decision as it won't move on without me making a selection.

it might be one of those ambiguous options that i got confused about that caused the issues. i remember that a couple of the options weren't clear what they actually meant.

pags11

Mar 5, 2019
Visit site
i've generally followed the rules carefully, i.e. checking the correct boxes for items i'd like the Smart Transfer to transfer, but there were a couple of ambiguous things and i wasn't sure what to do, and i had to make a decision as it won't move on without me making a selection.

it might be one of those ambiguous options that i got confused about that caused the issues. i remember that a couple of the options weren't clear what they actually meant.

I swear I checked the box last year for the Samsung Calendar to transfer over via Smart Switch to my S20 Ultra but it didn't transfer. And I factory reset my S10+ before I double-checked everything. Lesson learned.