Transferring data from S20 Ultra to S21 Ultra: no OTG adapter in box, how to transfer?

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi All:

i read that there is no OTG adapter in the box anymore - previously, this was the adapter that one would use to connect the old phone (this time, the S20 Ultra) to the new phone (this time, the S21 Ultra).

well, without this OTG adapter, they apparently have a wireless way to transfer data from the old phone to the new phone, but it hasn't been discussed much at all!

may i ask if anyone knows how to do this wirelessly as they are telling us to do this time around, and whether there is a new app to do this? previously, with the OTG adapter, we'd connect the two phones using the USB-C cable and use the Samsung Smart Transfer app.

thank you all in advance.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Both phones are USB-C, and it comes with a C to C cable. Why would you need an OTG adapter? Just plug one end into the S20 and the other end into the S21.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
thank you all for your comments. i appreciate it.

may i ask if it is preferable to use the usb-c cable to connect the old phone to the new phone, or is it preferable to connect them wirelessly just using the on-screen instructions (as @mustang7757 kindly pointed out)?

on the one hand, a wired connection reduces error and increases transfer speed.

on the other hand, wireless connection might be the current preferred and actually INTENDED way by Samsung to do this necessary transfer from old to new phone. you'd think that they worked out the wireless transfer pretty well before pushing out this S22 Ultra phone, right?

thanks in advance for your comments again.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I think most people forget this, but that's the easiest way to do it. Works just like an otg adapter.
Both phones are USB-C, and it comes with a C to C cable. Why would you need an OTG adapter? Just plug one end into the S20 and the other end into the S21.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
See this is where having an sd card is superior. What will take hours to transfer would only take minutes had there been a card slot but I digress. Have a usb c thumb drive so maybe it will work the same as an sd card backup.

may i ask if it is preferable to use the usb-c cable to connect the old phone to the new phone, or is it preferable to connect them wirelessly just using the on-screen instructions (as @mustang7757 kindly pointed out)?

on the other hand, wireless connection might be the current preferred and actually INTENDED way by Samsung to do this necessary transfer from old to new phone. you'd think that they worked out the wireless transfer pretty well before pushing out this S22 Ultra phone, right?

thanks in advance for your comments again.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Use the cable

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
See this is where having an sd card is superior. What will take hours to transfer would only take minutes had there been a card slot but I digress. Have a usb c thumb drive so maybe it will work the same as an sd card backup.
Yeah , sd cards have their benefits.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Please don't get me started on the notification light. Oh how I miss thee. I understand why it had to go but I really miss it.
Samsung has taken too much out:
Replaceable battery
Headphone jack
Sd cards
Led notification light
Chargers
Note 21 possible the last Note:(
My soul

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Please don't get me started on the notification light. Oh how I miss thee. I understand why it had to go but I really miss it.

i also miss the notification light.

i've always thought that as there is this always on screen feature, why wouldn't they be able to use a few pixels for a proxy for a notification light? boggles my mind.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree thankfully we have developers that care and try to provide apps. I don't really use them but it's good to have alternatives.
i also miss the notification light.

i've always thought that as there is this always on screen feature, why wouldn't they be able to use a few pixels for a proxy for a notification light? boggles my mind.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I am not sure it does. I had a backup from smartswitch on a USB ssd drive and I also had one on an sd card when I reset my S10+ a few months ago. The backup on my ssd did not complete smart switch fully. Some things were not transferred properly. I then redid the transfer using the sd card and it overwrote the first attempt. All my data was transferred from the sd card. I don't usually use the sd slot for a card, using it for dual sim instead but I was mighty glad I had the slot and card for restoring my data.