01-17-2021 09:19 PM
29 12
tools
    Hi All:

i read that there is no OTG adapter in the box anymore - previously, this was the adapter that one would use to connect the old phone (this time, the S20 Ultra) to the new phone (this time, the S21 Ultra).

well, without this OTG adapter, they apparently have a wireless way to transfer data from the old phone to the new phone, but it hasn't been discussed much at all!

may i ask if anyone knows how to do this wirelessly as they are telling us to do this time around, and whether there is a new app to do this? previously, with the OTG adapter, we'd connect the two phones using the USB-C cable and use the Samsung Smart Transfer app.

thank you all in advance.
    01-15-2021 07:35 PM
    You probably can pick one up on ebay cheap, wireless it will walk you through the steps .
    01-15-2021 07:56 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, you can download Samsung Smart Switch and transfer it over wirelessly as an option.
    Catman720 and Gav508 like this.
    01-15-2021 07:56 PM
    It should be on the phone already
    01-15-2021 07:57 PM
    Both phones are USB-C, and it comes with a C to C cable. Why would you need an OTG adapter? Just plug one end into the S20 and the other end into the S21.
    buzzy3970, Gary02468 and 20blks like this.
    01-15-2021 08:23 PM
    Both phones are USB-C, and it comes with a C to C cable. Why would you need an OTG adapter? Just plug one end into the S20 and the other end into the S21.
    Thats true
    Gav508 likes this.
    01-15-2021 08:24 PM
    thank you all for your comments. i appreciate it.

may i ask if it is preferable to use the usb-c cable to connect the old phone to the new phone, or is it preferable to connect them wirelessly just using the on-screen instructions (as @mustang7757 kindly pointed out)?

on the one hand, a wired connection reduces error and increases transfer speed.

on the other hand, wireless connection might be the current preferred and actually INTENDED way by Samsung to do this necessary transfer from old to new phone. you'd think that they worked out the wireless transfer pretty well before pushing out this S22 Ultra phone, right?

thanks in advance for your comments again.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-15-2021 08:59 PM
    I think most people forget this, but that's the easiest way to do it. Works just like an otg adapter.
    01-15-2021 09:50 PM
    See this is where having an sd card is superior. What will take hours to transfer would only take minutes had there been a card slot but I digress. Have a usb c thumb drive so maybe it will work the same as an sd card backup.

may i ask if it is preferable to use the usb-c cable to connect the old phone to the new phone, or is it preferable to connect them wirelessly just using the on-screen instructions (as @mustang7757 kindly pointed out)?

on the other hand, wireless connection might be the current preferred and actually INTENDED way by Samsung to do this necessary transfer from old to new phone. you'd think that they worked out the wireless transfer pretty well before pushing out this S22 Ultra phone, right?

thanks in advance for your comments again.
    01-15-2021 09:58 PM

Use the cable
    01-15-2021 10:05 PM
    thanks @williams448. i'll use the cable and follow the on screen directions.

hope everything is as simple and self explanatory as it was previously.
    01-15-2021 10:15 PM
    See this is where having an sd card is superior. What will take hours to transfer would only take minutes had there been a card slot but I digress. Have a usb c thumb drive so maybe it will work the same as an sd card backup.
    Yeah , sd cards have their benefits.
    01-15-2021 10:24 PM
    It is. Smart switch is one of the better transfer apps...
    thanks @williams448. i'll use the cable and follow the on screen directions.

hope everything is as simple and self explanatory as it was previously.
    01-15-2021 10:29 PM
    Null
    Samsung has taken too much out:
    Replaceable battery
    Headphone jack
    Sd cards
    Led notification light
    Chargers
    Note 21 possible the last Note
    My soul
    buzzy3970 likes this.
    01-15-2021 10:35 PM
    Please don't get me started on the notification light. Oh how I miss thee. I understand why it had to go but I really miss it.
    Samsung has taken too much out:
    Replaceable battery
    Headphone jack
    Sd cards
    Led notification light
    Chargers
    Note 21 possible the last Note
    My soul
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-15-2021 10:44 PM
    Please don't get me started on the notification light. Oh how I miss thee. I understand why it had to go but I really miss it.
    i also miss the notification light.

i've always thought that as there is this always on screen feature, why wouldn't they be able to use a few pixels for a proxy for a notification light? boggles my mind.
    mustang7757 and bdm219 like this.
    01-15-2021 11:09 PM
    Totally agree thankfully we have developers that care and try to provide apps. I don't really use them but it's good to have alternatives.

i've always thought that as there is this always on screen feature, why wouldn't they be able to use a few pixels for a proxy for a notification light? boggles my mind.
    01-16-2021 07:28 AM
    I thought it's a C to USB C cable?
    01-17-2021 02:21 AM
    I am not sure it does. I had a backup from smartswitch on a USB ssd drive and I also had one on an sd card when I reset my S10+ a few months ago. The backup on my ssd did not complete smart switch fully. Some things were not transferred properly. I then redid the transfer using the sd card and it overwrote the first attempt. All my data was transferred from the sd card. I don't usually use the sd slot for a card, using it for dual sim instead but I was mighty glad I had the slot and card for restoring my data.
    01-17-2021 02:26 AM
    I thought it's a C to USB C cable?
    Literally what I said lol.
    01-17-2021 07:03 AM
    I tried transferring my data from my S10+ to my S20 Ultra via WiFi, it was a nightmare, so I went to backup and reset and restored my backups from Google servers. It was brilliant because my S20 Ultra is set up like my S10+, even down to the layout of my home screen and folders! 🙂
    01-17-2021 08:28 AM
    was wondering the following. I have a S20 Ultra and I use widgets on home screen. I ordered the S21Ultra. When I go to transfer all from the S20, will the home screen as set up also transfer. Or do I need to recreate the home screen?
    01-17-2021 11:46 AM
    If you use smart switch or cloud backup it should transfer as long as apps are selected on the transfer.
    was wondering the following. I have a S20 Ultra and I use widgets on home screen. I ordered the S21Ultra. When I go to transfer all from the S20, will the home screen as set up also transfer. Or do I need to recreate the home screen?
    pags11 likes this.
    01-17-2021 12:03 PM

OT from this thread, but they also ruined the always on display when they made the colors mandatory. When it was all white I could clearly see what notifications I had. Now, some of the notification icons are dark blue for instance and you just can't see them well. It drives me crazy that they don't give us an option for it just being all one color.
    01-17-2021 12:45 PM
    When I went from S10+ to S20, I'm almost certain I used USBC to USBC and home screen was there waiting for me. This time, I'm using Microsoft Launcher so that part probably wont, but then that is backed up on OneDrive and ready to restore.
    01-17-2021 01:53 PM
29 12