01-27-2021 11:43 AM
111 123 ...
tools
    With the imminent release of the Galaxy S21 models the first hands-on reviews and videos are coming out.

This hands-on review from GSMArena is pretty thorough on Galaxy S21 & S21 Ultra...

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gal...eview-2217.php

Whilst this video deals with the unboxing and camera for the S21 Ultra...

This video pretty well covers unboxing, gaming and camera for the Galaxy S21...

Have you got any reviews of the Galaxy S21 range to share?
    mustang7757 and Morty2264 like this.
    01-19-2021 01:02 PM
    01-19-2021 02:43 PM
    Link doesn't work. This does.......

Thanks! Have amended post #1.
    01-19-2021 03:03 PM
    Some impressive camera samples in this short impressions video:

ironass likes this.
    01-19-2021 03:39 PM
    Overall early impressions seem pretty positive, assuming you can accept the loss of a few things.

I think Samsung made the right calls on what to leave out to bring costs down. I wish they offered a 512GB storage option for the S21+ model at least, but generally, they've made the right calls on nearly everything else -- flat screen with FHD is perfectly fine with me!

And One UI looks better than ever. I'm honestly quite impressed by it. Looking forward to a little more features coming from the Pixel 4 XL.

Hope we see more reviews. I believe the embargo date is 21st...
    JHStewart1023 likes this.
    01-19-2021 03:42 PM
    01-19-2021 05:23 PM
    Battery life mentioned here for Ultra on day one.

Sam Mobile....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sam...promising/amp/
    ironass likes this.
    01-19-2021 07:20 PM
    Battery life mentioned here for Ultra on day one.

Sam Mobile....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sam...promising/amp/
    Thanks! That is interesting as regards the Exynos 2100 vs Snapdragon 888 after the poor results on the S20's for the Exynos 990.
    01-19-2021 07:53 PM
    With the imminent release of the Galaxy S21 models the first hands-on reviews and videos are coming out.

This hands-on review from GSMArena is pretty thorough on Galaxy S21 & S21 Ultra...

Whilst this video deals with the unboxing and camera for the S21 Ultra...

This video pretty well covers unboxing, gaming and camera for the Galaxy S21...

Have you got any reviews of the Galaxy S21 range to share?
    Preview or retail units?
    01-19-2021 09:44 PM
    Awesome, a GSM Arena review! Thank you for sharing it! I'll check it out!
    ironass and JHStewart1023 like this.
    01-19-2021 09:49 PM
    GSMArena's camera samples are really good!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-19-2021 10:21 PM
    certainly seem more positive they I think they were for last years models or even note ultra
    01-20-2021 03:38 AM
    I hate how all these camera previews never cover pics of people. Coming from a pixel, I want to see if Samsung has gotten any better at skin tones, indoor pics, anything with movement in it. I feel like any modern phone camera can take decent shots outdoors in good lighting, and that's mostly what you see here.
    Ragnarianrok likes this.
    01-20-2021 07:24 AM
    Great! I look forward to seeing them! The only weakness Samsung has - in my opinion, anyway - is its camera. Definitely not as good at the Pixel. But I'm excited to see these samples!
    Ragnarianrok and Rose4uKY like this.
    01-20-2021 08:22 AM
    This is a great video of what to do first when getting your phone

01-20-2021 09:16 AM
    Sam Mobile updated their review beginning with this snippet on battery:

"The Galaxy S21 Ultra is the first Samsung flagship in the last couple of years to have impressed me with its battery life in the first week, or, well, the first day. Usually, Samsung’s flagship phones drain quickly in the first few days in my experience, but that’s not the case with the Galaxy S21 Ultra. Most noticeable is how consistent the drain is. The battery percentage doesn’t drop every other time I unlock the phone, which is not something I can say for my Galaxy S20 Ultra.

In fact, I’ve never seen 5+ hours of screen on time on any flagship during the first couple days of use, not in recent memory at least. The S21 Ultra? Well, I ended the first day with 2% left on the battery meter and around 5 hours and 50 minutes of screen on time and 16.5 hours of total time off the charger. Yes, these figures might seem normal to some, but for me, they’re better than anything I’ve seen for quite some time. Again, this is after just one full day of use, and once the phone has understood how I use it, battery life is bound to get better."

https://www.sammobile.com/opinion/ea...4-hours-of-use
    Ragnarianrok and pags11 like this.
    01-20-2021 09:33 AM
    I hate how all these camera previews never cover pics of people. Coming from a pixel, I want to see if Samsung has gotten any better at skin tones, indoor pics, anything with movement in it. I feel like any modern phone camera can take decent shots outdoors in good lighting, and that's mostly what you see here.
    Agree. I want to see more of that too. Coming from a pixel 4 xl, I'm really hoping the s21 camera is at least on par.
    01-20-2021 09:45 AM
    Agree. I want to see more of that too. Coming from a pixel 4 xl, I'm really hoping the s21 camera is at least on par.
    Even compared to the note 20 ultra, I prefer the pixels photos of people/faces. It also handles movement of kids and animals much better.

Samsung has said that they won't automatically smooth people's faces by default on the 21 line, so hopefully you can get pictures of the family that don't look airbrushed.
    Ragnarianrok likes this.
    01-20-2021 10:46 AM
    ironass likes this.
    01-20-2021 10:58 AM
    Even compared to the note 20 ultra, I prefer the pixels photos of people/faces. It also handles movement of kids and animals much better.

Samsung has said that they won't automatically smooth people's faces by default on the 21 line, so hopefully you can get pictures of the family that don't look airbrushed.
    Yeah, I agree. Pixel photos tend to come out better from what I've seen, too. It's one of the greatest (maybe the greatest?) strength of the Pixel.

Coming from a Pixel 4 XL and the Pixel 3 before that, it was definitely something I appreciated. However, it was beginning to feel like that one feature was keeping me hostage and locked to Pixel devices. This is why I'm hoping the S21 is finally the right time to jump ship. If they can finally get their still-photography on par, then I'll happily trade in my Pixel for the better design, features, and general hardware prowess of Samsung. Plus, video-taking appears so much better on non-Pixel devices. Honestly, the Pixel's bare-bone camera experience is starting to age for me.

One UI is the other factor. I'm really impressed with what I've seen in its development and progress toward a cleaner and more sensible skin. Some of the little extra features are also appealing. Coupled with the timely security updates that have consistently been coming from Samsung, I'm optimistic the experience will be just as good overall.

We shall see in a couple of weeks! Fingers crossed.
    TheDonJ77 likes this.
    01-20-2021 11:15 AM
    Another review?

EDIT: Doesn't seem like a full on review, but a pretty thorough hands-on. Mostly positive in terms of software, the finger printer scanner, and camera.

01-20-2021 04:24 PM
    Yeah, I agree. Pixel photos tend to come out better from what I've seen, too. It's one of the greatest (maybe the greatest?) strength of the Pixel.

Coming from a Pixel 4 XL and the Pixel 3 before that, it was definitely something I appreciated. However, it was beginning to feel like that one feature was keeping me hostage and locked to Pixel devices. This is why I'm hoping the S21 is finally the right time to jump ship. If they can finally get their still-photography on par, then I'll happily trade in my Pixel for the better design, features, and general hardware prowess of Samsung. Plus, video-taking appears so much better on non-Pixel devices. Honestly, the Pixel's bare-bone camera experience is starting to age for me.

One UI is the other factor. I'm really impressed with what I've seen in its development and progress toward a cleaner and more sensible skin. Some of the little extra features are also appealing. Coupled with the timely security updates that have consistently been coming from Samsung, I'm optimistic the experience will be just as good overall.

One ui to me is still annoying. They've finally put the Google feed on the left home screen instead of the garbage Samsung page, but lots of little elements (stupid horizontal scrolling app drawer lol) that frustrate me are still there. As long as i can set Google apps as default instead of their Samsung counterpart I should be able to deal with it.
    I'm switching purely for the hardware. I want a bigger screen and better battery life. As long as the software doesn't get in the way too much, I'll keep the ultra.
    Ragnarianrok likes this.
    01-20-2021 05:15 PM
    One ui to me is still annoying. They've finally put the Google feed on the left home screen instead of the garbage Samsung page, but lots of little elements (stupid horizontal scrolling app drawer lol) that frustrate me are still there. As long as i can set Google apps as default instead of their Samsung counterpart I should be able to deal with it.
    I'm switching purely for the hardware. I want a bigger screen and better battery life. As long as the software doesn't get in the way too much, I'll keep the ultra.
    Haha, I'm with you. There will def be some tweaking and changes to default apps during my set up with the device. And a whole lot of disabling + uninstalling where I can. I'm likely going to throw on Nova Launcher to make it even closer to stock. I'm hoping once it's all set up nicely, I'll feel right at home with the software.

While there are some software features I am looking forward to, I agree, it's mostly the hardware attracting me, too. I really wish Google would approach hardware a little more seriously. I'm happy for them to focus on software, but I wish they didn't do just the bare minimum on hardware.

I predict the Pixel will still do a couple of things better than the S21+ (likely still photography and of course major OS updates), but I'm hoping the overall experience of Samsung's improved software + way better hardware will make up for it.

If the Pixel 5 was a more compelling and competitive device, this would be a different story...

Good luck to you -- looking forward to your Ultra impressions!
    TheDonJ77 likes this.
    01-20-2021 06:02 PM

Bro, I couldn't have said it better myself. I feel like I have been missing out on other phones and features due to being so one sighted with the still photography of the pixel. IMO besides the updates and simplicity, the camera is really the main reason I stick with the line but I'm ready to try something new. Really looking forward to putting the SG21U through the ringer with tests.
    Ragnarianrok likes this.
    01-20-2021 07:03 PM
    Haha, I'm with you. There will def be some tweaking and changes to default apps during my set up with the device. And a whole lot of disabling + uninstalling where I can. I'm likely going to throw on Nova Launcher to make it even closer to stock. I'm hoping once it's all set up nicely, I'll feel right at home with the software.

While there are some software features I am looking forward to, I agree, it's mostly the hardware attracting me, too. I really wish Google would approach hardware a little more seriously. I'm happy for them to focus on software, but I wish they didn't do just the bare minimum on hardware.

I predict the Pixel will still do a couple of things better than the S21+ (likely still photography and of course major OS updates), but I'm hoping the overall experience of Samsung's improved software + way better hardware will make up for it.

If the Pixel 5 was a more compelling and competitive device, this would be a different story...

Good luck to you -- looking forward to your Ultra impressions!
    Had the P5 and sent it back due to the size, simply too small. Really disappointed in Google that there was no P5XL this year. While there have been rumors and grumbling of a Pixel 5 Pro, I'm taking that with a grain of salt. While the camera is Google's main selling point for the line, I felt this was the time to try something new.
    Ragnarianrok and J Dubbs like this.
    01-20-2021 07:06 PM
111 123 ...