S21 vs S21 Ultra

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the regular Galaxy S10 I am having trouble deciding between the S21 and S21 Ultra. Was hoping to get some feedback.

The main issue is the size of the phone. I prefer the size of the the S21 and also prefer flat glass to the curved edge.

Has anyone regretted switching to a bigger phone?

Is the screen resolution between the two that noticeable? Was surprised that the S21 has a lower resolution than the S10. This is a big turn off for me.

Cameras - I usually only use the primary or wide angle lens for pictures and videos on Instagram. It looks like the the cameras from the S10 to the S21 are similar. Is the S21 Ultra cameras that much better if I don't use the telephoto lenses?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Well you need to go with what you are comfortable holding and go with that. I had the S9 and was just too small for me so have always gone with plus or Ultra. If any of the stores like best buy have displays, may be best to see. Although with all going on, may not be allowed anymore. /shrug.

Johnson21x

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If you get a chance stop by a bestbuy or carrier store they should have it on display and play with them.

I did at bestbuy, I have a galaxy s9 which is a great size for me perfect balance with big screen and overall size. The curved Ultra is more subtle this year so its not all that bad but its there. But the flat glass on the s21 is great, the bezels are very tiny compared to something like the S20FE, which is a bit bigger.

-Im going to be getting the + or the ultra. Its a big jump from S9 with only a 5.8 to a 6.7/6.8 screen. But just put 1 finger horizontally across the top of your phone and that how tall the ultra should be on your phone. which isn't that much but it will be heavier.

-I don't think going from QHD+ to FHD+ is that much noticeable, because most people don't hold the phone 3 inches from there face. Plus the battery saved should be nice because its pushing less pixels.

- I didn't get to extensively use the Ultra cameras. but they were great.

But why did you want the Ultra?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have similar preferences to you, but in the end thought screw it and went with the ultra.

I'm coming from an S10e so it'll be quite a size difference. Unfortunately I can't tell you if it was a bad decision for another 2 weeks lol.

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
If you get a chance stop by a bestbuy or carrier store they should have it on display and play with them.

I did at bestbuy, I have a galaxy s9 which is a great size for me perfect balance with big screen and overall size. The curved Ultra is more subtle this year so its not all that bad but its there. But the flat glass on the s21 is great, the bezels are very tiny compared to something like the S20FE, which is a bit bigger.

-Im going to be getting the + or the ultra. Its a big jump from S9 with only a 5.8 to a 6.7/6.8 screen. But just put 1 finger horizontally across the top of your phone and that how tall the ultra should be on your phone. which isn't that much but it will be heavier.

-I don't think going from QHD+ to FHD+ is that much noticeable, because most people don't hold the phone 3 inches from there face. Plus the battery saved should be nice because its pushing less pixels.

- I didn't get to extensively use the Ultra cameras. but they were great.

But why did you want the Ultra?

The only reason I was interested in the Ultra was mainly the higher resolution and better cameras. If the resolution is not going to be noticeable than I definitely will go with the S21. I just felt coming the S10 I didn't want to upgrade to a phone that the screen doesn't look as good.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
My stupid little hands can't handle the plus or ultra comfortably, so it's the base S21 for me. I doubt I'll see any difference in screen resolution. Also, the camera glass on my S10 is cracked, so any new phone camera will be an upgrade for me.

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
What is funny is I just checked the resolution on my S10 and I've had it set at FHD since I got it two years ago haha. So I definitely won't notice the difference. I set it at QHD just to see and I definitely see a difference but maybe because I'm not used to it, I didn't like it. Seemed a bit choppy

Going with the S21 for sure.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
What is funny is I just checked the resolution on my S10 and I've had it set at FHD since I got it two years ago haha. So I definitely won't notice the difference. I set it at QHD just to see and I definitely see a difference but maybe because I'm not used to it, I didn't like it. Seemed a bit choppy

Going with the S21 for sure.

The default on my Note 10+ is FHD. Never have even tried QHD since the display is already very clear. Bumping it up to QHD may result in very minor improvements but will likely eat more battery. The choppiness at the higher setting is no surprise. I'm going to use FHD.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I had the size dilemma last year going from a S10 to a S20U that resulted in 700 trips to various stores to play with the S20U. Even when I ordered I was still in doubt. After about two months of using the S20U I had completely forgot about the size and it felt normal. Now I would be afraid to do the opposite, go back to a smaller phone. The larger screen is easier on the eyes for reading, better for multimedia consuming, better for using as a GPS, etc. I've even managed to learn to use it one handed. If you're on the fence I would say just get it, you'll get used to the size to the point it will feel like the new normal.

Johnson21x

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I was interested in the Ultra was mainly the higher resolution and better cameras. If the resolution is not going to be noticeable than I definitely will go with the S21. I just felt coming the S10 I didn't want to upgrade to a phone that the screen doesn't look as good.

Like Ragnarisnrok said, the screen on all the s21 series will be great. If you can afford the Ultra and really want the camera go for it, its a great camera. Samsung and carriers have great trade in deals. I can get the Plus 256gb for $250. or the Ultra 256gb for $450.....but $450 is a bit much for me right now. But if i look it like this, My s9 that i got 3 years ago cost me $360 with a trade in. And the Ultra is only $100 more. Ill be getting the best of the best, which i didn't think was gonna happen ever. When the S20 came out and wanted to trade in my s9 it would have still costed me $400 just for the base S20. So i think $450 for the Ultra is amazing.

I guess samsung knew they had to wipe everyones memory of how the S20 was and gave us better prices somewhat. Choose what you can afford or be comfortable with.

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
I'd say hold off on buying these right now.
Wait and see some of the other mfgs and what they put out this year because all Samsung has done this year is take away features.

Plus if you wait a few months these things will be offered with some sweet deals.
I waited to buy my S20 5G last year until May. I got it for 10/month for 30 months on ATT. $300!!!! No trade in required.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Wait and see some of the other mfgs and what they put out this year because all Samsung has done this year is take away features.

Plus if you wait a few months these things will be offered with some sweet deals.
I waited to buy my S20 5G last year until May. I got it for 10/month for 30 months on ATT. $300!!!! No trade in required.

You're not going to get the Ultra at that price

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the deals getting better on the Ultra. The trade ins certainly won't go up and the Samsung credit won't stay the same. Now is the best time to order unless you plan on doing a bogo at a later date.

Johnson21x

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I could get the regular S21 now for free with trade in. With the stupid smart tag and buds pro also free. Sooo id rather have that now then wait.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I pre-order the S21+. I have an iphone 12 pro right now, after starting with the ProMax. Last year I used the 11 pro max. When I had the 11 PM, I said this is as big as I can go, then the 12 pro max got bigger. I tried it and it was just to big and heavy. I prefer the bigger screen but I dont appreciate a phone with that much weight in the pocket. Hence why I went with the S21+. Big screen, but lighter. I was at best buy yesterday and they had both the plus and the ultra. On paper the ultra is just as heavy as the 12 pro max but it sure didnt feel that way. It felt lighter. Still a big phone, but lighter. It looks amazing though. Very futuristic. I guess I'll see when I get the 21plus.

Johnson21x

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I pre-order the S21+. I have an iphone 12 pro right now, after starting with the ProMax. Last year I used the 11 pro max. When I had the 11 PM, I said this is as big as I can go, then the 12 pro max got bigger. I tried it and it was just to big and heavy. I prefer the bigger screen but I dont appreciate a phone with that much weight in the pocket. Hence why I went with the S21+. Big screen, but lighter. I was at best buy yesterday and they had both the plus and the ultra. On paper the ultra is just as heavy as the 12 pro max but it sure didnt feel that way. It felt lighter. Still a big phone, but lighter. It looks amazing though. Very futuristic. I guess I'll see when I get the 21plus.

Yea same here. The ultra felt heavy but light if that makes sense. Even tho they both weight the same ultra at 229grams and the 12 pro max at 231grams. I think its the width because its smaller on the ultra so its more comfortable to hold.

rcab

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am trading in S9 for S21 with T-Mobile for free. Doesn't get any cheaper. Actually paying $50 to upgrade to 256gb but will have a phone with better resale value in 2 yrs than hanging on with S9 that basically is at the end of the Samsung life regarding updates of software. I still have my main phone S20 ultra.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes. The width plays a factor for sure. The camera module was huge. Much more pronounced that I thought it would be.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance