Anyone go from Note 9 to S21 ultra?

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Battery is failing on my Note 9. Having to charge three times a day now. This is how they get you. Phone works perfect besides battery no longer holding charge.

I've never owned an iphone and now the S21 ultra is calling my name. I guess i'll jump on that trade in deal they are offering. But i'd be just fine if i could keep this Note 9 and swap out the battery. I want my headphone jack. I like my microSD slot. :(

mad!

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
My Note 9 has no such battery issues, but a couple of years in and I am ready for a new phone. Did you treat the battery well?

How much space are you actually using now on the Note 9? I was unhappy about the sdcard too, but realized I am using less than 100gb of the 256 I had available.

To be safe I just ordered the Ultra 512gb.

Regarding the headphones, latest versions of BT are really good, or just grab the dongle.

R

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Battery is failing on my Note 9. Having to charge three times a day now. This is how they get you. Phone works perfect besides battery no longer holding charge.

I've never owned an iphone and now the S21 ultra is calling my name. I guess i'll jump on that trade in deal they are offering. But i'd be just fine if i could keep this Note 9 and swap out the battery. I want my headphone jack. I like my microSD slot. :(

mad!

Ironically I wish I treated my Note 9 battery worse than I did. I wouldn't feel conflicted then about getting the S21 Ultra. But I've always charged my Note 9 to max 85% and to this day is still good on battery. Like no excuse to upgrade.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I dunno.. I guess it depends what you use your phone for. I am a busy executive and I travel a lot when there isn’t a pandemic.

For me, 5G, BT, WiFi ax, faster cpu, better cameras.... I love my Note 9 but it is a tool.... got $350 trade in from Samsung which is not bad...

I think about three years with one phone is pretty good.

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Ironically I wish I treated my Note 9 battery worse than I did. I wouldn't feel conflicted then about getting the S21 Ultra. But I've always charged my Note 9 to max 85% and to this day is still good on battery. Like no excuse to upgrade.

only supposed to charge to 85% to prolong battery? i never read that. Please educate me. I dont want to make this mistake going forward. It makes me sick that this perfectly good phone is being replaced because of battery and not Newphoneitis . :(

nick021513

Jan 16, 2021
Visit site
only supposed to charge to 85% to prolong battery? i never read that. Please educate me. I dont want to make this mistake going forward. It makes me sick that this perfectly good phone is being replaced because of battery and not Newphoneitis . :(

Personal preference. I've had my Note 9 since new, always charged to 100%, even keep it plugged in all night long.

I've noticed no difference in battery life unless I'm using a couple of apps that for some reason just kill my battery.

Only reason I'm getting a S21 Ultra is because both my front and back glass are cracked.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Standard rules for lithium ion batteries. I hope no one responds to this and challenges it as it's basic facts about all lithium ion batteries Nothing to argue about.

If you really want to prolong battery life;

1. Don't go below 40% charge.
2. Charge to max 90%, even better, max 80-85%.
3. If charging to 100%, take off the charger straight away. DO NOT charge overnight.
4. Keep phone away from direct heat such as in cars.
5. Don't charge and use phone at the same time with screen on.
6. Avoid wireless charging, especially fast wireless charging.

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Standard rules for lithium ion batteries. I hope no one responds to this and challenges it as it's basic facts about all lithium ion batteries Nothing to argue about.

If you really want to prolong battery life;

1. Don't go below 40% charge.
2. Charge to max 90%, even better, max 80-85%.
3. If charging to 100%, take off the charger straight away. DO NOT charge overnight.
4. Keep phone away from direct heat such as in cars.
5. Don't charge and use phone at the same time with screen on.
6. Avoid wireless charging, especially fast wireless charging.

Man, that's a lot of work and bordering on OCD.. to have to stay in a 40 point range day and night.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Just not charging it all night is the best and easiest approach. All of the articles about batteries say that heat is the big issue... And these phones are so good, an hour at my desk with a wireless charger is fine....

R

Martin23kings

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
my note 9 is finally starting to slow down doing certain things and playing certain games. also can't switch between apps or open camera as fast as it once did. i feel like it's now time to upgrade to something newer so I got the ultra.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
It's also a bunch of hooey! Like many others I have never worried about charging this way or that way and I've had numerous phones from numerous companies and the battery will die when it wants to. Some batteries die prematurely due to manufacturing anomalies. But if you really like the Note 9 just get the battery replaced. Even if it costs you a hundred bucks...which it will NOT...you will be saving $1100.00!!!!!