What method will you use to backup existing phone and restore to S21/+/Ultra?

What will you use to backup and restore?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thecaringkind

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Backup current, (Note 20 Ultra), hit Smart Switch, sign out of Google and Samsung accounts and factory reset for trade in. I usually end up omitting half of my apps in the switch to the new phone to keep things light in the transition

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Previously, when I've set up a new phone via a Smart Switch backup, the phone simultaneously started restoring apps and settings from Samsung's cloud backup and Google's cloud backup. Is there a way to bypass those processes? Can we skip the Samsung and Google login in the phone's initial setup wizard?

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes you have the option to skip both. Even if you sign into google or Samsung in the beginning you have the option of not restoring any data.
Previously, when I've set up a new phone via a Smart Switch backup, the phone simultaneously started restoring apps and settings from Samsung's cloud backup and Google's cloud backup. Is there a way to bypass those processes? Can we skip the Samsung and Google login in the phone's initial setup wizard?

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Going from S10 to S21. Will be my first time using Smart Switch. Will this transfer my photos into the same folders as they are on my current phone? In the past I would just put all photos on my SD card because whenever I would try to transfer in the past I would seem to lose photos.

I noticed in Google Photos "Device Backup Folders" it does not list all the folders I actually have in my gallery?

Besides my photos the only other thing I want transferred is my Samsung Notes.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes that's what makes smart switch so great. It will transfer them just as they were on your previous device so no need to wonder what album they've been placed in. It should mimic your gallery exactly. You can even transfer photos, videos and documents from your sd card as well although it will make the transfer longer. I suggest doing the transfer from sd card separately.
Going from S10 to S21. Will be my first time using Smart Switch. Will this transfer my photos into the same folders as they are on my current phone? In the past I would just put all photos on my SD card because whenever I would try to transfer in the past I would seem to lose photos.

I noticed in Google Photos "Device Backup Folders" it does not list all the folders I actually have in my gallery?

Besides my photos the only other thing I want transferred is my Samsung Notes.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes you have the option to skip both. Even if you sign into google or Samsung in the beginning you have the option of not restoring any data.

I wonder what would happen if we let Google do it's restore stuff, then run SmartSwitch. Will it run into conflict and error out or will it overwrite the Google restoration?

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Backup current, (Note 20 Ultra), hit Smart Switch, sign out of Google and Samsung accounts and factory reset for trade in. I usually end up omitting half of my apps in the switch to the new phone to keep things light in the transition

Pretty much same, I clean apps from phone before switch...I wait a couple days before sign out and reset...just in case I forgot something, like need the previous phone for authenication..lol

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to use smart switch using a computer rather than connecting the two phones. In the past using smart switch a few app's didn't transfer data so hoping using the pc will resolve that issue.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to use smart switch using a computer rather than connecting the two phones. In the past using smart switch a few app's didn't transfer data so hoping using the pc will resolve that issue.

I've never used smart switch before, have just finished backing up my entire phone to my PC, and into a OneDrive folder, so the backup has a backup. Hoping the PC process goes smoothly.

mrop

Jan 26, 2021
Visit site
I just transfer my important files on internal storage to SD Card whenever I want to try any custom ROM's. And just start fresh by re installing all apps from Play Store. :cool:

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there any difference in content between SmartSwitch directly from the old phone vs SmartSwitch backup of the old phone to a PC, and then restoring to the new phone from there (if that even works)?

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Copying all my photos and videos to my PC first. Maybe delete some unused apps, maybe not. Then use Samsung's Smart Switch over wire.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Is there any difference in content between SmartSwitch directly from the old phone vs SmartSwitch backup of the old phone to a PC, and then restoring to the new phone from there (if that even works)?

It's probably faster from phone to phone with the caveat that you won't have an extra backup sitting on your PC. Personally, apps are fast to download over 5G and I keep my photos and videos on my PC for permanent storage anyway so I could really just start fresh. The main reason I use Smart Switch is to keep my phone call, contact list, and text message records.