What method will you use to backup existing phone and restore to S21/+/Ultra?

What will you use to backup and restore?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
What will be your primary method for backing up your current phone and restoring on your new S21/+/Ultra? For my S10, I'll probably use a combination of Google backup and Samsung Cloud. I usually set up a phone fresh and don't restore a ton of stuff to keep it clean out of the gate but I just have too many apps to download them all one by one again. I don't feel like fussing with my new S21 for 6 hours getting it all back to the same setup as my S10. What will you do when setting up your new phone?

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm cleaning up my phone now and deleting apps I don't use and I'll probably just do a back up again in a day or 2 to make sure it's up to date and just click on restore on the new phone once I am signed in to my Samsung and Google account. I had to reset my S10+ a while back due to a theme causing problems and I liked how it put my home screens the same and my folders were all there. I'm just hoping I don't have any conflicts of apps with the new Android 11 and the UI. I hope all my wifi passwords come back too one time they didn't and it may have just been something I did when setting up the new phone not sure.

Ragnarianrok

Jan 19, 2021
Visit site
Coming from a Pixel 4 XL. I think I'll set up my incoming S21+ as new.

Gotta make sure I un-check whatever that marketing prompt is. I don't want ads...

chimpboy74

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to try google back up. I've also been clearing out my phone and ensuring photos etc are backed up so it won't be.a disaster if it fails and I have to start fresh.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Does the restore put your edge screen back the way it was too or do you have to set that up over again I don't remember? Is it going to have the edge screen?

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Well I just reset my S20 and did the USB-C <=> USB-C which is what I've done for last 3 upgrades.

Why isn't that listed in poll choices? Or is it?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What will be your primary method for backing up your current phone and restoring on your new S21/+/Ultra? For my S10, I'll probably use a combination of Google backup and Samsung Cloud. I usually set up a phone fresh and don't restore a ton of stuff to keep it clean out of the gate but I just have too many apps to download them all one by one again. I don't feel like fussing with my new S21 for 6 hours getting it all back to the same setup as my S10. What will you do when setting up your new phone?
Use Google but also smart switch on the pc , you can restore at anytime.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Use Google but also smart switch on the pc , you can restore at anytime.

I'm trying to use SmartSwitch to backup to my pc, but it just sits at the opening screen saying to connect a device. My device is connected and I can select the USB option in settings to use USB for file transfer/android auto. But no movement in the SmartSwitch app on pc.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm trying to use SmartSwitch to backup to my pc, but it just sits at the opening screen saying to connect a device. My device is connected and I can select the USB option in settings to use USB for file transfer/android auto. But no movement in the SmartSwitch app on pc.
Try different usb port

Johnson21x

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Or a different USB cable

Nex2knotN

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Smart Switch here too. Walk away and let it do its thing - fairly painless. Been succcessful in the past S8 > S9 > S10 > S20 and now S21. I'll find out in 2 days. :)