S21 Ultra overheating issues?

Carterman32

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Okay, that's good to know! How does the phone fare when it's on the charger?

It charges fine.

It would be helpful if others could tell me how many degrees their cpu get up to when they're watching YouTube and playing with their phone for half an hour. Otherwise it's hard to tell whether my phone is acting normally.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I haven't noticed anything abnormal with heat with my S21U over my S20U. The phone for me that was really bad with overheating was the S7! I still remember walking out of the AT&T store with it brand new and the thing was nearly burning my hand! And I had two of them! Both overheated bad!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I haven't noticed anything abnormal with heat with my S21U over my S20U. The phone for me that was really bad with overheating was the S7! I still remember walking out of the AT&T store with it brand new and the thing was nearly burning my hand! And I had two of them! Both overheated bad!
Same with my s7 edge

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It charges fine.

It would be helpful if others could tell me how many degrees their cpu get up to when they're watching YouTube and playing with their phone for half an hour. Otherwise it's hard to tell whether my phone is acting normally.
If you just got it and set it up, you can expect it get warm a little until settled in , if it's doing this past 5 to 7 days then I would put in safe mode to see if any 3rd party apps are causing this .

Carterman32

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
If you just got it and set it up, you can expect it get warm a little until settled in , if it's doing this past 5 to 7 days then I would put in safe mode to see if any 3rd party apps are causing this .

The problem is there's no way to have it measure cpu temp in safe mode. That's why it'd be helpful to get a comparison of other's screen on time.

Carterman32

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Understand but you mentioned that it's pretty hot in the hand no? Also a temp gun like these are cheap

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00837ZGR...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6917296

Yeah, I just ordered one.

But I watched YouTube and there's a guy who did a battery test that was fairly rigorous. I think the phone averaged about 32 degrees Celsius. The problem is he is just using an infrared censor on the screen, which isn't comparable to my cpu temp scanner.

Carterman32

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Also what's weird is that YouTube doesn't seem to heat up the phone much, but other video sites make my phone burn up. Is there any reason for that?

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
The problem is there's no way to have it measure cpu temp in safe mode. That's why it'd be helpful to get a comparison of other's screen on time.

I watch a lot of youtube videos and web browsing and I feel no overheating. To me it seems like when a long list of apps are updating is when it gets the warmest but nothing to cause concern. I think doing long UHD filming with stabilization on will be the true test.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I just ordered one.

But I watched YouTube and there's a guy who did a battery test that was fairly rigorous. I think the phone averaged about 32 degrees Celsius. The problem is he is just using an infrared censor on the screen, which isn't comparable to my cpu temp scanner.
I've use these type of temp gun in my field for surface temp and they are pretty good . See what happens.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
The problem is he is just using an infrared ensor on the screen, which isn't comparable to my cpu temp scanner.

True, but they're correlated, so it'll still give you a reasonable way to measure what's going on, especially if you record both measures a few times when you're not in Safe Mode. Plus, the temperature gun will tell you whether your phone has Covid. :)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The 888 has some throttling issues when playing games and does not seem to manage heat as well as the 865+. It should not have heating issues with not taxing tasks.