Nova Launcher has issues

fred134134

Jan 11, 2021
Visit site
This may be a OneUI 3 issue but there are two issues I am having:

1. Home App default resets after a reboot or shutdown. Now you will boot up to the Nova Launcher but it will change over to OneUI.

Also when you go to default apps you will see nothing is selected now. You have to toggle ONeUI and Nova for it to stay but if you reboot it happens all over agagin.

2. The Google Companion app that enables google feed swiping right stops working at some point. I found no pattern as to why. I even disabled battery optimization and made sure it wasn't getting killed. It just all of a sudden stops working maybe works for several hours or a day.

Fortunately,

OneUI now has google feed swiping right. So I gave OneUI home a try and with goodluck its not bad. Not as good as Nova but its doable.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
1. That's a 3.0 issue. It takes some time and tries until the default launcher option sticks. Unfortunately there's not much that you, or Nova's dev, can do. Just keep selecting Nova as default and it should be fine after a while.

2. Google changed a few things recently creating a few conflicts in the process. Things are better with the new Nova7 Beta version, but there are still some bugs that need to be fixed. You can find this version in Nova's Discord server.

chimpboy74

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
This may be a OneUI 3 issue but there are two issues I am having:

1. Home App default resets after a reboot or shutdown. Now you will boot up to the Nova Launcher but it will change over to OneUI.

Also when you go to default apps you will see nothing is selected now. You have to toggle ONeUI and Nova for it to stay but if you reboot it happens all over agagin.

2. The Google Companion app that enables google feed swiping right stops working at some point. I found no pattern as to why. I even disabled battery optimization and made sure it wasn't getting killed. It just all of a sudden stops working maybe works for several hours or a day.

Fortunately,

OneUI now has google feed swiping right. So I gave OneUI home a try and with goodluck its not bad. Not as good as Nova but its doable.

I'm not seeing any major issues with nova so far. Only thing I have spotted is that it has shifted the wallpaper so it's half off the side if the screen. Not sure why, but I can't fix it.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I was getting this issue in my S20 Ultra after update to One UI 3.0. Read this response.

PLEASE READ THIS EMAIL IN FULL!

Home/Default Launcher Constantly Being Reset

If you are experiencing issues with Nova not staying as the default launcher on Android 10 or Android 11, these first steps are for you specifically.

If you are having issues with Nova staying as your default launcher, try this: Reboot your device. Or you can try Phone Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps -> Home App -> Nova Launcher. You might need to do this several times and reboot several times for this to fix the issue.

This is a very well known issue on Samsung and other devices, but specifically with new updates directly from Samsung starting as early as December 1st, 2020.

If this doesn't fix your issue, then you need to contact Samsung directly as the issue is on their end, with their update and has nothing to do with Nova or any other launcher, as this issue will happen in all 3rd party launchers.

The issue above isn't just for Samsung users, though the issue happens on every Samsung device that's gotten an update since December 1st, 2020.

Everything mentioned below is still present with the release of Android 11 on September 8th, 2020. Google has made it very clear that they have no plans to completely fix gesture-related issues any time in the near or even distant future.

Please take note that Google admits to this being broken on their end of things and that a fix will be coming in a future update to Android (stated March 2019).

However, it's now well over a year later and there are still many issues with full system gestures and 3rd party launchers on both Android 10 and Android 11. These issues will remain for the foreseeable future as Google have now made it clear that they have no plans to completely fix their full system gestures.

Notable issues with gestures on third party launchers include:
• Close all/Clear app button not appearing(scroll all the way to verify it's not there)
• Not being able to tap icons for a short time after returning to the home screen
• Animations not being as fluid as expected

Please understand, there is absolutely NOTHING WE CAN DO TO FIX OR CHANGE THIS IN ANY WAY! Contact Google or your device OEM directly with these issues as we have absolutely no control over it whatsoever.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
If you want to give it a try this is the link for Nova's Discord server.

https://discord.gg/novalauncher

Head to the changelog channel and download the latest version. I've been using it for a while and it's running great.
I've been using 7 Beta for quite some time as well. I really like the added folder gestures. They have been great about fixing issues quickly. I submitted several bug reports and they were very quick to address them with updates.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been using 7 Beta for quite some time as well. I really like the added folder gestures. They have been great about fixing issues quickly. I submitted several bug reports and they were very quick to address them with updates.
Yes, they are great pushing bug fixes nonstop. My favourite new feature is the swipe down actions on icons, four different actions with the same shortcut, excellent.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they are great pushing bug fixes nonstop. My favourite new feature is the swipe down actions on icons, four different actions with the same shortcut, excellent.
Yes, I love swiping down on my folders to be able to open a certain app. I've been using swipe up for a while but I love that they've added more gestures. I've been using Nova since 2013 and it just keeps getting better. I also like the new folder icon appearance views they've added.

chimpboy74

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not seeing any major issues with nova so far. Only thing I have spotted is that it has shifted the wallpaper so it's half off the side if the screen. Not sure why, but I can't fix it.

Nevermind. It was to do with wallpaper scrolling. I only have one main home screen so turned scrolling off and it's fine now.

Last edited:

phellix

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Had the same issue. Fixed it by going back from 'Swipe gestures' to 'Buttons' in the Navigation Bar. (Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra)

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I think Samsung is doing this on purpose to discourage the use of other launchers.
I don't think this is specific to Samsung as my OP 8T also experiences this same behavior and so I started using stock launcher on that as well. The other thing that happens with me is the Google companion, Google feeds swipe to the right, also just stops working.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they're actively trying to break third party launchers. It's just they couldn't care less either way.

Also, let's not forget Nova is still based on launcher2... No reason to put resources into supporting something that old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy