S21U on TMobile us. Anyone hearing scratchy audio through earpiece?

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Some calls I make, usually to other TMobile customers, the audio in my earpiece has a static like or scratchy like sound along with the person's voice. Doesn't happen with every call I make, but it is consistent and reproducible with some people I call. It might be associated with HD audio as it seems to only be with other TMobile customers. Anyone else notice same?

I don't believe there an issue with my earpiece as other audio sounds fine through it. Even music.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Try it when you're in a TMobile store and you have an associate helping you. They can get someone at TMobile to get up on the line and see if it's in the line or in your phone. (I suspect it's in the line. The phone just sends audio to the earpiece instead of the speaker - that part of the circuit doesn't know if it's music from a file or music playing in the backrround of the person you're talking to.) Another troubleshooting method is to switch to speakerphone when you hear the noise. If it's on the speaker, it's not a bad earpiece.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Hey! I've this problem on T-mobile S21 Plus too. Lower the volume won't help. So far tested with 611 and it's just weird to hear it.

I was about to submit return ticket for the phone, but decided flash Unlocked firmware. It fixed the problem for me.

Something is not right with HD+ on T-mobile firmware.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I just left my local Tmo store. Their display S21U exhibits the same issue. I tried over the Tmo 5G network as well as wifi calling. Same. Made 3 calls, and to two people with modern Tmo phones I hear the scratchy sound in the background when they talk. I call a land-line and it's clear. I call 611 and it's clear. The issue is only noticeable through the earpiece, not through the speakerphone or Bluetooth. Adjusting volume does not help.

Rep in store offered to swap my SIM, but obviously that's not going to help if their display exhibits same issue.

Hopefully this is just a software bug Samsung can address.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey! I've this problem on T-mobile S21 Plus too. Lower the volume won't help. So far tested with 611 and it's just weird to hear it.

I was about to submit return ticket for the phone, but decided flash Unlocked firmware. It fixed the problem for me.

Something is not right with HD+ on T-mobile firmware.

Thanks for confirming. If this is the case I suspect it will be resolved in a future firmware release. Hopefully the February patch!

Post Nine

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
are you using the Samsung stock wired earpiece? and did you show the tmobile associate the issue? they took no actions?

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
s21 purchased from Samsung but locked to T-mo, no issues as described in this post. Hope it gets fixed for you all soon!

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
are you using the Samsung stock wired earpiece? and did you show the tmobile associate the issue? they took no actions?

Earpiece. No wired anything.

The associate heard it but shrugged his shoulders. Said "if two devices do same then it's a software problem".

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Does your software version end in AUA3?

It should be the same since my unlocked firmware is "AUA3" too. Also, Samsung recently pushed out "AUAG" last week. You might get it soon with carriers. Go enjoy your new phone. I don't think its hardware problem because that's a lot recall :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz