Dropped calls on Verizon

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy S21+ on Verizon and I am experiencing dropped calls. The signal is relatively weak where I live but I have Wi-Fi calling enabled therefore it should switch seamlessly to Wi-Fi calling once the signal is too weak. But calls are still randomly being dropped. I did not have this problem at all on my Pixel 3XL. Any thoughts on why this is happening? Any ideas to fix it? Verizon does not give an option to use Wi-Fi calling as default like other carriers do. Should I switch to T-Mobile so I can always use Wi-Fi calling?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy S21+ on Verizon and I am experiencing dropped calls. The signal is relatively weak where I live but I have Wi-Fi calling enabled therefore it should switch seamlessly to Wi-Fi calling once the signal is too weak. But calls are still randomly being dropped. I did not have this problem at all on my Pixel 3XL. Any thoughts on why this is happening? Any ideas to fix it? Verizon does not give an option to use Wi-Fi calling as default like other carriers do. Should I switch to T-Mobile so I can always use Wi-Fi calling?
You should be able to force wifi calling on verizon. I just did this on my note 20U.

Put the phone in airplane mode, then go in and turn wifi back on leaving it in airplane mode, make sure wifi calling is on and your set to go.

Unfortunately, you will probably not be getting text messages while doing this.

EDIT...You can send and receive text messages while on WiFi and in airplane mode.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to force wifi calling on verizon. I just did this on my note 20U.

Put the phone in airplane mode, then go in and turn wifi back on leaving it in airplane mode, make sure wifi calling is on and your set to go.

Unfortunately, you will probably not be getting text messages while doing this.

EDIT...You can send and receive text messages while on Wi-Fi and in airplane mode.

Yes I do know that workaround. But I should not have to be doing workarounds every time I make a call on a brand new phone. And the only way that would work for incoming calls is if I had airplane mode on all the time with Wi-Fi enabled and I do not want to do that.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes I do know that workaround. But I should not have to be doing workarounds every time I make a call on a brand new phone. And the only way that would work for incoming calls is if I had airplane mode on all the time with Wi-Fi enabled and I do not want to do that.
Well that's what you have with Verizon, if there's a signal to be had it'll use that signal. I think it's set up to prefer tower signal then wifi, not sure. I know others with same issue and this is what they have to do. Maybe someone will have a better solution and I can pass that on to them Might have to go back to t-mobile.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
You shouldn't be dropping calls at all if you have wifi and wifi calling is turned on. Did you get a new 5G sim card with your new phone or did you put an older sim in the phone to activate? (I don't know if a 4G sim will work in a 5G phone, so just asking.)

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
You shouldn't be dropping calls at all if you have wifi and wifi calling is turned on. Did you get a new 5G sim card with your new phone or did you put an older sim in the phone to activate? (I don't know if a 4G sim will work in a 5G phone, so just asking.)

Yes I am using the new 5G SIM card that I got with the phone

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
What is the signal strength of your WiFi network? Are you using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz WiFi? How many other devices are on your network? Have you tried resetting your router?

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
What is the signal strength of your WiFi network? Are you using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz WiFi? How many other devices are on your network? Have you tried resetting your router?

Wi-Fi signal is strong..over 500 MBPS. Using 5GHz. Only my phone is connected. Yes I reset the router. I also had Verizon replace the sim card Seems like the call will drop during the handoff from cellular signal to Wi-Fi signal and visa versa. Looks like a software glitch. I would disable WiFi calling if not for the weak cellular signal in my apartment. I live in the city and cell signal is weak because of tall buildings. Any thoughts?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Wi-Fi signal is strong..over 500 MBPS. Using 5GHz. Only my phone is connected. Yes I reset the router. I also had Verizon replace the sim card Seems like the call will drop during the handoff from cellular signal to Wi-Fi signal and visa versa. Looks like a software glitch. I would disable WiFi calling if not for the weak cellular signal in my apartment. I live in the city and cell signal is weak because of tall buildings. Any thoughts?
Try this app in play store and switch to lte only and test if you still get drop calls

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ray.samsungbandselection

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't think that app will help. This seems to be an issue where calls are sometimes dropped in the handoff between the Wi-Fi and cellular signal. Also I do not even have a 5G plan so I am always on 4G anyway.
Ok , have you check if this toggle to switch between wifi and data is on ?
8be553b177822ed09fee9fde4de27aea.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have already did that. Anyway I turned Wi-Fi calling off today. Hopefully my cellular signal will be strong enough to maintain a connection while on a call. And maybe this glitch will be addressed in the next update.
It possible , but too many variables to pinpoint which can cause this , many you have gone over , but it could just be your carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac