I'm really hating the new volume controls and sound management in Android 11. I'm sure they must have had some design reasons but they are coming across as a poor afterthought.

The biggest one for me is the option to mute the phone vibrations. It used to be you could do an extra click down after sound mute to mute vibrations. The was nice hepatic feedback too. Now it requires several steps without a 3rd party toggle widget.

Other issue is they seem to require more steps through awkward and confusing menus.

On the S21 the pop-up menu placement, while by the volume buttons, is kind on an awkward reach. Especially if you want to expand the controls.

So are these purposeful design choices or poorly thought out changes?
    CarlGHarris likes this.
    02-18-2021 11:06 PM
    Have you looked at sound assistant in galaxy store , can put the volume sliders on left side or traditional right side of screen with some visual enhancements
    02-18-2021 11:25 PM
    [I moved this from Andriod 11 apps to s21 forums because this a Samsung thing with volume buttons]
    02-18-2021 11:26 PM
    I'm really hating the new volume controls and sound management in Android 11. I'm sure they must have had some design reasons but they are coming across as a poor afterthought.
    Yes! I despise those three tiny dots. A couple of people suggested sound assistant, but I use Nova Launcher and it doesn't work with that. I've got to find a fix, though.
    02-19-2021 01:20 AM
    Yes! I despise those three tiny dots. A couple of people suggested sound assistant, but I use Nova Launcher and it doesn't work with that. I've got to find a fix, though.
    Mine works with Nova launcher
    02-19-2021 01:28 AM
    Mine works with Nova launcher
    Oh, interesting I don't get any expand / collapse button on my screen. Would you mind telling me your settings? Are you using sero or classic?
    02-19-2021 01:34 AM
    Oh, interesting I don't get any expand / collapse button on my screen. Would you mind telling me your settings? Are you using sero or classic?
    Sure , my screen shot, have you updated sound assistant in galaxy play store ?Hate New Volume Controls-screenshot_20210219-024202_nova-20launcher.jpgHate New Volume Controls-screenshot_20210219-024156_nova-20launcher.jpg
    02-19-2021 01:43 AM
    Sure , my screen shot, have you updated sound assistant in galaxy play store?
    I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, but can't replicate what you have. Is that widget always there on the left side of the screen or does it pop up when you use the volume keys?
    02-19-2021 06:39 AM
    Yea you have an older version of sound assiant. The new one doesn't say sero/ classic anymore.

Its just on or off. It still has the 3 dots as the stock volume well not dots out arrows. But sound assiant is better for me, plus smaller.
    CarlGHarris likes this.
    02-19-2021 07:07 AM
    So what was your sound settings like before and now?

From what i remember from almost every phone i had it was:

Ring&vibrate>vibrate only> muted
    02-19-2021 07:21 AM
    I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, but can't replicate what you have. Is that widget always there on the left side of the screen or does it pop up when you use the volume keys?
    Only when I press the Volume buttons, what version your on ? This mine

Hate New Volume Controls-screenshot_20210219-085516_sound-20assistant.jpg
    CarlGHarris likes this.
    02-19-2021 07:56 AM
    To have volume down keys set your alerts to vibrate, make sure not to have "control media volume" selected in your Sound Assistant settings.

Hate New Volume Controls-screenshot_20210219-085222_sound-assistant.jpg
    02-19-2021 07:56 AM
    To have volume down keys set your alerts to vibrate, make sure not to have "control media volume" selected in your Sound Assistant settings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210219-085222_Sound Assistant.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	332001
    Yea thats what i told OP in another post and he said it fixed it. But then said it didnt.

Also anyone not using sound assiant. You want to go to

Setting>just search at the top: volume> it should say "Use volume keys as media" turn that off
    jope28 likes this.
    02-19-2021 08:30 AM
    Thanks, guys. The problem was that I had downloaded it from Google Play rather than the Galaxy store and it was not the same version. It's working now. While not perfect because it requires an extra click to pull up the sound options besides ringtone, it is a definite improvement. Thank you!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    02-19-2021 09:43 AM
    Thanks, guys. The problem was that I had downloaded it from Google Play rather than the Galaxy store and it was not the same version. It's working now. While not perfect because it requires an extra click to pull up the sound options besides ringtone, it is a definite improvement. Thank you!
    Awesome, glad to hear that
    CarlGHarris likes this.
    02-19-2021 09:49 AM
    Yea thats what i told OP in another post and he said it fixed it. But then said it didnt.

Also anyone not using sound assiant. You want to go to

Setting>just search at the top: volume> it should say "Use volume keys as media" turn that off
    It sort of fixed some things since I was controlling the wrong volume at first. My issue is the volume key does the following now.

Ring -> Vibrate

Set Mute in the menu

Mute -> Vibrate -> Ring

You can't go from Vibrate to mute.

We also confirmed this change on a S10+ after it picked up Android 11 yesterday.

The reason it's important to me is I like to keep the phone off vibrate while on my desk or hard surfaces to avoid loud buzzing and distractions while working. Then if I put it in my pocket I like to put vibration on. It was all instinctual, tactile, and very simple.

I did just discover if you go into vibrate and turn the volume back up one click, it shows audio at 0 with no vibrate. It could be a workaround. Testing that now. Basically [Sound] -> [Vibrate] <- (one click up) [Sound With No Bar].
    02-19-2021 11:30 AM
    Have you looked at sound assistant in galaxy store , can put the volume sliders on left side or traditional right side of screen with some visual enhancements
    Thanks! I'll check that out.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    02-19-2021 11:32 AM
    I think that single click back up on the volume fixes my issue. You essentially unmute the phone but with no volume on the ringer. I don't know if it's by design or a feature by bug.

It's certainly not as elegant as it was on Android 10.

I really like that Sound Assistant app. It feels like it's stock but improved.
    02-19-2021 02:53 PM
    I think that single click back up on the volume fixes my issue. You essentially unmute the phone but with no volume on the ringer. I don't know if it's by design or a feature by bug.

It's certainly not as elegant as it was on Android 10.

I really like that Sound Assistant app. It feels like it's stock but improved.
    Yeah I agree
    02-19-2021 03:34 PM
    It sort of fixed some things since I was controlling the wrong volume at first. My issue is the volume key does the following now.

Ring -> Vibrate

Set Mute in the menu

Mute -> Vibrate -> Ring

You can't go from Vibrate to mute.

We also confirmed this change on a S10+ after it picked up Android 11 yesterday.

The reason it's important to me is I like to keep the phone off vibrate while on my desk or hard surfaces to avoid loud buzzing and distractions while working. Then if I put it in my pocket I like to put vibration on. It was all instinctual, tactile, and very simple.

I did just discover if you go into vibrate and turn the volume back up one click, it shows audio at 0 with no vibrate. It could be a workaround. Testing that now. Basically [Sound] -> [Vibrate] <- (one click up) [Sound With No Bar].
    This is weird, what you outlined with Ring>vibrate then set mute in menu and then its mute>vibrate>ring.
    but you cant go back to vibrate.

I did those steps but I could set it from vibrate to mute and mute to vibrate.

Wait why even use the volume buttons to set those settings? Just pull down the menu and hit the toggle for Ring/vibrate/mute right? thats what i do. I only use the volume buttons for media.
    CarlGHarris likes this.
    02-19-2021 06:30 PM
    What model do you have?

I was wrong about the S10+ I have. It does not have the issue. My S21 Ultra does. So it's some kind of bug, perhaps specific to my device, an ATT, varient, etc.

I reported it to Samsung and have been messaging with them. They actually have a good bug reporting process.

I just find it easier to use the volume buttons. Especially to quickly silence a device or enable vibrate with simply tactile feedback.
    02-21-2021 12:20 PM
    What model do you have?

I was wrong about the S10+ I have. It does not have the issue. My S21 Ultra does. So it's some kind of bug, perhaps specific to my device, an ATT, varient, etc.

I reported it to Samsung and have been messaging with them. They actually have a good bug reporting process.

I just find it easier to use the volume buttons. Especially to quickly silence a device or enable vibrate with simply tactile feedback.
    I Have the Tmobile variant S21pus. Yea thats what i was gonna say it might be because of carrier interference with software.

I wish we had a vibrate/ring switch like Oneplus phones and iphones but o'well. I did notice in this version of OneUI there are more bug reporting/ Contact samsung for support in more menus which is good i guess.
    02-21-2021 02:30 PM
    What model do you have?

I remember from past Samsung the Att version didn't have option to silent only vibrate , but I've been on the unlocked firmware now so don't know if it's been addressed.
    02-21-2021 02:35 PM
    My S10+ is unlocked. It would be seriously stupid if this was an AT&T feature. But that could also explain some of the confusion we were seeing on other phone models.

My thread title is now off. I was blaming this on Android 11!

Although, I didn't like the menu position still. The Sound Manager moves it in a way that is natural for my finger positioning. Android 10 menu settings are mostly the same. It's just if the volume buttons are working you never need to go there.

In the end, small problems, but I design software myself. It's little things like this that are important in making a polished product.

If someone has an ATT S21 Ultra without the issue, I'd be happy to hear because it means I can sole the problem.
    02-21-2021 11:37 PM