T-Mobile chat/rcs options not available

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Question I have sprint but I am able to use a t-mobile sim. However in the default messaging app there is no option to enable or disable rcs. Is that by design with tmobile or is something off. None of the conversations I have rcs capabilities with are showing them. This includes my brother who is on t-mobile and has the note 20. Also with sprint there is a volte icon at the top. That doesnt exists either, I am wondering if that's because its using 5g now and that's just part of 5g.

If I have a sprint sim then I am able to use all those features with out a single problem.

milliman

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
After setting up my phone, I updated and opened the app to find the settings missing. I rebooted the phone and made sure that I was connected to the T-Mo network directly then they showed up.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
After setting up my phone, I updated and opened the app to find the settings missing. I rebooted the phone and made sure that I was connected to the T-Mo network directly then they showed up.

I have restarted the phone several times and it still won't show rcs. If I slap my sprint sim in everything works perfectly, which is what I may end up doing because t-mobiles network sucks a lot on this phone for some reason.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Both with carrier version have rcs

Ended up just putting a sprint sim back in the phone. I wasn't even able to download the February update with the t-mobile service activated. As soon as I activated the sprint sim again. RCS is back Volte is back and I am updating to the latest software as I type this.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ended up just putting a sprint sim back in the phone. I wasn't even able to download the February update with the t-mobile service activated. As soon as I activated the sprint sim again. RCS is back Volte is back and I am updating to the latest software as I type this.
Yeah I think your better off with sprint sim until you can't .

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Yeah I think your better off with sprint sim until you can't .

Pretty much, I happen to live in a city where they have a solid 5g build out. In my apartment I get around 150mbps download and at work I get over 200 regularly. I don't even connect to my office wifi because its now slower most of the time.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Pretty much, I happen to live in a city where they have a solid 5g build out. In my apartment I get around 150mbps download and at work I get over 200 regularly. I don't even connect to my office wifi because its now slower most of the time.
Yeah I've heard that with sprint sim

Raju1300

Jan 26, 2021
Visit site
guys I finally found a knowledgeable Samsung tech support individual. who said the unlocked phones do not allow the chat feature on T-Mobile carrier. he had no idea why they blocked it, but he's hoping in future updates the chat feature will become visible to customers who have an unlocked phone on T-Mobile.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
guys I finally found a knowledgeable Samsung tech support individual. who said the unlocked phones do not allow the chat feature on T-Mobile carrier. he had no idea why they blocked it, but he's hoping in future updates the chat feature will become visible to customers who have an unlocked phone on T-Mobile.

But this isn't an unlocked phone, I bought it directly from sprint which is now owned by t-mobile. I wonder if the t-mobile system registers the device as an unlocked phone when you bring it over from sprints service. That would be why the chat features are not available on a phone purchased through a sprint account and used on t-mobiles network.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
How stupid! I can't see why carriers seem to block features. My network carrier doesn't support visual voicemail. But others in the UK do. And there is poor 5g rollout everywhere except major cities. But I can turn off 5g in the settings to save battery. Others in USA block that setting so phones are locked to finding 5g even when it is nowhere around.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

This we already knew , only Sprint sim did on unlocked version

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
But this isn't an unlocked phone, I bought it directly from sprint which is now owned by t-mobile. I wonder if the t-mobile system registers the device as an unlocked phone when you bring it over from sprints service. That would be why the chat features are not available on a phone purchased through a sprint account and used on t-mobiles network.

Which sim t-mobile or sprint?

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Which sim t-mobile or sprint?

My account is still through sprint, due to the merger I can use a t-mobile sim in my sprint phone. On iPhone there is no issues at all when I have a t-mobile sim in my sprint iPhone 12 mini.

On the S21 I lose chat features and volte when I have a t-mobile sim in my sprint S21. If you take into account that unlocked s21 phones don't have chat features enabled. It would make since that when you activate a t-mobile sim, sprint is removing the carrier lock on the s21. You essentially have an unlocked sprint S21 that you are using on the t-mobile network.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My account is still through sprint, due to the merger I can use a t-mobile sim in my sprint phone. On iPhone there is no issues at all when I have a t-mobile sim in my sprint iPhone 12 mini.

On the S21 I lose chat features and volte when I have a t-mobile sim in my sprint S21. If you take into account that unlocked s21 phones don't have chat features enabled. It would make since that when you activate a t-mobile sim, sprint is removing the carrier lock on the s21. You essentially have an unlocked sprint S21 that you are using on the t-mobile network.
That's interesting with a sprint removing carrier lock , the merger is definitely got things all mixed up.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
That's interesting with a sprint removing carrier lock , the merger is definitely got things all mixed up.

Thats the only thing I can think of that would cause my S21 to lose rcs and volte when I have a t-mobile sim in it. It is a sprint phone, it comes with a sprint sim pre installed when you get it.

Im going to hold out with officially switching to t-mobile until I don't have choice. Mainly because I have a killer unlimited everything plan that is $55 a month.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance