ordering through Samsung vs Verizon

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Is it cheaper ordering a Galaxy S 21 series through Samsung instead of Verizon? Is there more color choices? Does the Unlocked version work with Verizon?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes unlocked version works with all carriers, and I think with unlocked you have more color options from Samsung.com

As far as cheaper you'll have to see what's the price you are getting from Samsung vs Verizon. There are lots of things that depends on your particular scenario. If you have trade in then you'll have to check what trade in value you are getting from Samsung vs Verizon. Personally always prefer ordering direct unlocked from Samsung but if you are used to carrier devices and like local support when something goes wrong etc then buying direct from Verizon might make sense.

I would say look at Verizon.com and samsung.com and see what offers you get for your particular scenario.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Also, there is no carrier financing on the unlocked. You have to pay up front or finance thru a finance company thru samsung. You can get unlocked thru best buy also, usually samsung is cheaper.

The last I looked last week, the carrier version was $100 cheaper then the unlocked as verizon was giving $100 discount if financed thru verizon. Just had a friend do that, then paid it off when it hits the verizon bill.

And as above said, verizon won't support the unlocked for warranty issues, they will connect you to samsung for any issues after they determine it's not on their side.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I got mine from Verizon, it was cheaper that way at the time plus device payments on the bill are a lot easier to deal with than paying for the phone up front.

Really you gotta look at both sources at the time of purchase, I've seen Samsung cheaper at times and Verizon cheaper at others.

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes unlocked version works with all carriers, and I think with unlocked you have more color options from Samsung.com

As far as cheaper you'll have to see what's the price you are getting from Samsung vs Verizon. There are lots of things that depends on your particular scenario. If you have trade in then you'll have to check what trade in value you are getting from Samsung vs Verizon. Personally always prefer ordering direct unlocked from Samsung but if you are used to carrier devices and like local support when something goes wrong etc then buying direct from Verizon might make sense.

I would say look at Verizon.com and samsung.com and see what offers you get for your particular scenario.

I'm wanting to make payments on it. On the 4th my GS9+ will be paid off so I want to get a new phone. I'm not trading my GS9+ in. The other thing I wonder if i have to send it in for warranty service does Samsung send a replacement right away like Verizon does?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm wanting to make payments on it. On the 4th my GS9+ will be paid off so I want to get a new phone. I'm not trading my GS9+ in. The other thing I wonder if i have to send it in for warranty service does Samsung send a replacement right away like Verizon does?
Samsung does not send out a replacement right away, they will have you send it in for repair.

If you buy the samsung premium care insurance, then they will do it as that is thru assurion. Samsung direct has you send it in or take it to a authorized service center. I've been thru it, thankfully I bought the premium care and assurion handled it and was sent a replacement. Samsung direct said to send it in untill they seen I had premium care. That was my experience, of course there are different cases.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget that just because you buy it from Samsung doesn't mean it's just a regular unlocked phone. Samsung sells both unlocked and Verizon versions. It will come with VZW apps pre-installed and have a VZW sim card in it. You can still use an unlocked phone on VZW, but just know what you're getting.

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Samsung does not send out a replacement right away, they will have you send it in for repair.

If you buy the samsung premium care insurance, then they will do it as that is thru assurion. Samsung direct has you send it in or take it to a authorized service center. I've been thru it, thankfully I bought the premium care and assurion handled it and was sent a replacement. Samsung direct said to send it in untill they seen I had premium care. That was my experience, of course there are different cases.

I like how Verizon sends a replacement and if it works then send the other one back. so I won't be without. Does other US carriers do that? I would not like having to send to Samsung and be without for several weeks.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I like how Verizon sends a replacement and if it works then send the other one back. so I won't be without. Does other US carriers do that? I would not like having to send to Samsung and be without for several weeks.
I don't know what other carriers do, I've been with verizon for the last 20 years. It's definitely a bonus to deal with verizon for any phone issues and have replacements sent out.

I have had both unlocked and verizon branded phones and I don't see much differences between them for my use, not enough to make me go unlocked all the time.

It sounds to me, with you wanting verizon support and payments getting the verizon branded is your best bet. As other post said, you can get the verizon branded thru samsung also, you can do the verizon payments thru verizon by going thru samsung also. Most the time samsung is cheaper then verizon, make sure you check out best buy. The S21U 256 carrier version is not available on samsung at the moment and probably is short supply other places.

Side note.. check around more, the unlocked phone is fine on verizon. Some carriers limit certain features on the unlocked phone's. I remember reading At&t does not allow certain features like visual voice mail, something like that. Research the unlocked phone's for the carrier you're going with. Bhatech will probably know more on that, he does unlocked phone's more and will be a lot more knowledgeable on the features deal. I don't think verizon blocks anything.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

WNYF

Apr 9, 2023
Visit site
If you can avoid it, don't trade in your phone with Verizon, go through Samsung Direct. Verizon gives you a bill credit over 36 months if they accept your trade in. The problem if you want to trade in your phone again before the 36 months, you loose the balance of the trade in money. Also, they reject a lot of phones for petty things and you don't get the money at all...

This is another Verizon Scam of ripping you off.....

Roadijeff

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
If you can avoid it, don't trade in your phone with Verizon, go through Samsung Direct. Verizon gives you a bill credit over 36 months if they accept your trade in. The problem if you want to trade in your phone again before the 36 months, you loose the balance of the trade in money. Also, they reject a lot of phones for petty things and you don't get the money at all...

This is another Verizon Scam of ripping you off.....
After over two years since this thread was started, the OP has probably already traded in his phone.

Welcome aboard. :)

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what other carriers do, I've been with verizon for the last 20 years. It's definitely a bonus to deal with verizon for any phone issues and have replacements sent out.

I have had both unlocked and verizon branded phones and I don't see much differences between them for my use, not enough to make me go unlocked all the time.

It sounds to me, with you wanting verizon support and payments getting the verizon branded is your best bet. As other post said, you can get the verizon branded thru samsung also, you can do the verizon payments thru verizon by going thru samsung also. Most the time samsung is cheaper then verizon, make sure you check out best buy. The S21U 256 carrier version is not available on samsung at the moment and probably is short supply other places.

Side note.. check around more, the unlocked phone is fine on verizon. Some carriers limit certain features on the unlocked phone's. I remember reading At&t does not allow certain features like visual voice mail, something like that. Research the unlocked phone's for the carrier you're going with. Bhatech will probably know more on that, he does unlocked phone's more and will be a lot more knowledgeable on the features deal. I don't think verizon blocks anything.
There is no call & text on other devices on Verizon branded Samsung phones. However, it is available on unlocked devices with unlocked firmware, so flashing the unlocked firmware will probably enable that feature.

Reactions: mustang7757