Please Help! Auto-correct (predictive text?) has disappeared.

dryslot

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
For many years when I would dictate a text message (either using a text messaging app, or Facebook Messenger), I could easily go back, tap on the message and modify/correct things thanks to the suggestions the phone offered when doing so.

Now, when I tap on my messages in order to edit them, nothing happens, no suggestions appear and all I see is the blinking cursor where I tapped.

Please see the attached screenshots from before and after this problem occurred.

I have done exhaustive searches online trying to find the solution. All my searches lead me to threads talking about predictive text, which I definitely have turned on. So I don't think 'predictive text' is my issue.

Any ideas? This is driving me crazy, thanks very much!!!

Footnote: The 'Before' picture was taken using my wife's Galaxy S10E which still works correctly. I typed a crazy sentence to ensure the auto-correct-suggestions would work. I'm not a nutcase! :)

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 18
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 18

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does the issue persist with Samsung's keyboard or any other type of keyboard? What about Safe Mode?

dryslot

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks very much, I tried it and pretty much got the same result. When I tapped the message, there were a few predictive text suggestions in the bar below it, but not the extensive suggestions I formerly was getting.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much, I tried it and pretty much got the same result. When I tapped the message, there were a few predictive text suggestions in the bar below it, but not the extensive suggestions I formerly was getting.

Could you please post a screenshot of what you are seeing when you are now attempting to type a message?

dryslot

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Sure thing, thanks for asking. Attached is a screen shot where I tapped on the word "message". You'll see the suggestions appear in the bar below the message window, but they are so much more limited than the previous way the phone responded.

Plus, even in order to get to this point, it requires getting out of the dictation menu (unlike before), going back to the keyboard and then tapping in the message window, and actually either hitting a key or the spacebar to let the app know you're working in that window. Only at that point can you start seeing those limited suggestions.

I realize this all sounds like a bunch of whining, but it truly does make a huge different in the work flow communicating and dictating messages.

Attachments

• Test Message.jpg
    Test Message.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 10

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sure thing, thanks for asking. Attached is a screen shot where I tapped on the word "message". You'll see the suggestions appear in the bar below the message window, but they are so much more limited than the previous way the phone responded.

Plus, even in order to get to this point, it requires getting out of the dictation menu (unlike before), going back to the keyboard and then tapping in the message window, and actually either hitting a key or the spacebar to let the app know you're working in that window. Only at that point can you start seeing those limited suggestions.

I realize this all sounds like a bunch of whining, but it truly does make a huge different in the work flow communicating and dictating messages.
Hi , that's how my predictive text shows also

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar