Any OnePlus to Galaxy S21 users?

ledvedder

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone gone from a OnePlus device to the S21? I'm curious to hear your thoughts. I currently have a OnePlus 7 Pro, and I've been waiting for the 9 series launch, to see what they had to offer. After seeing the specs and reading/watching a ton of reviews of the 9 series, I'm on the fence between upgrading to a 9 or the Galaxy S21. I prefer to root my phones. I'd like to hear your experience, if you've made this similar switch.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
S21 Ultra is definitely a better overall value IMO. In terms of root, never bothered with that for many many years now so no can't speak on that. The only reason to get OnePlus 9 Pro is if you prefer oxygen OS so much that you don't like anything else. If not I think S21 Ultra is better. S21 has better overall hardware (especially camera hardware), better updates (monthly security updates compared once in 2-3 months on OnePlus), longer software support, better accessory support, better camera. OnePlus does have better fast charging if that matters (personally never cared about how fast a phone charges). Price is kind of a tie but Samsung offers way better trade ins so you'll be paying less overall for S21 Ultra than OP9 pro which doesn't have great trade in offers compared to Samsung.

My OnePlus 9 Pro is delivering Monday and I can tell you after few days or a week if it blows my mind compared to my S21 Ultra. I always have multiple phones so may not be the best judge

But if I had to only choose between OP9 pro and S21 Ultra, then personally I would say go for S21 ultra between the two. Been super happy with S21 Ultra and doesn't have any major flaws, very well rounded premium phone.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone gone from a OnePlus device to the S21? I'm curious to hear your thoughts. I currently have a OnePlus 7 Pro, and I've been waiting for the 9 series launch, to see what they had to offer. After seeing the specs and reading/watching a ton of reviews of the 9 series, I'm on the fence between upgrading to a 9 or the Galaxy S21. I prefer to root my phones. I'd like to hear your experience, if you've made this similar switch.
OnePlus 6T, Global model, rooted to Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 512GB.

It is a simple choice if you are into rooting... OnePlus 9 Pro as the S21 is protected by Knox Security and if you root you will blow that and the phone will no longer be certified and considered, secure. Also, it can affect any future trade-ins with Samsung. See...

https://docs.samsungknox.com/admin/knox-platform-for-enterprise/faqs/faq-115013562087.htm

Also...

https://docs.samsungknox.com/admin/knox-platform-for-enterprise/faqs/faq-115013719548.htm

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
As a person that has had almost ever iteration of Oneplus, GalaxyS series and Galaxy Note series I have always went back and forth between a galaxy and a oneplus phone. Since receiving my s21 ultra in January I haven't even been tempted to pick up my oneplus 8t and I doubt I will be getting the OP9 or OP pro.
Personally I would choose the s21 ultra but that is only my opinion

ledvedder

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
As a person that has had almost ever iteration of Oneplus, GalaxyS series and Galaxy Note series I have always went back and forth between a galaxy and a oneplus phone. Since receiving my s21 ultra in January I haven't even been tempted to pick up my oneplus 8t and I doubt I will be getting the OP9 or OP pro.
I've considered the Ultra, but it's just too big for what I want. I'm looking to go smaller than my 7 Pro. I like a decent camera, but I don't need anything super professional quality.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, if you wanna Root go for OnePlus. But why even bother? It's literally more trouble than it's worth these days.

Samsung offer the closest experience to being rooted without actually rooting thanks to the theme engine (and apps like hex installer) and good lock.

ledvedder

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, if you wanna Root go for OnePlus. But why even bother? It's literally more trouble than it's worth these days.

Samsung offer the closest experience to being rooted without actually rooting thanks to the theme engine (and apps like hex installer) and good lock.
My only reason for rooting these days is for Adaway. Can't stand all the pop up adds. Are there other options for non-rooted phones?

ledvedder

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Man, now I'm really going back and forth whether to go with the base, the plus, or the Ultra. My original intention was to go a bit smaller, but now I'm not sure.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Man, now I'm really going back and forth whether to go with the base, the plus, or the Ultra. My original intention was to go a bit smaller, but now I'm not sure.
It's all personal preference, I don't think the ultra is uncomfortable to hold but thats just my opinion. The ultra hives you extra screen at higher resolution than the base, more battery and more memory, plus better camera and features. All 3 are great options and you really can't go wrong.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion go with Ultra..I personally don't prefer big phones and love smaller phones but no issues getting adjusted to S21 Ultra. It's big but manageable and you'll get used to.

But it comes down to personal preference, you can always return if it's not comfortable.

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the smaller S21 and I just picked up the s21+. I previously had the s20+ and I miss the linger battery life of the plus model. I'm now thinking that because the s21 and s21+ are similar spec wise, I should just go with the ultra

ledvedder

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I picked up the standard S21 today. After about 6 hours with it, I'm not sure I'm liking the size. I'm used to phones a bit larger. I have 14 days to return it, so I'll give it a week or so.

notgniddew

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Over the years I've owned both Samsung and One Plus and I prefer Samsung phones but One Plus is definitely easier to root has been my experience if you're rooting One Plus I think

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

I too have the oneplus 8T, which I do like very much as it is my first OnePlus phone, however, I am not pleased with the camera. I am pretty sure the ultra camera is far more superior, which is why I am thinking about getting the Ultra.

Since you had the 8T, what are your thoughts? How is the size of the ultra compared with 8t? How does it feel in your hands?

Thanks for your inputs

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I currently have the oneplus 8T which comes with 12GB Ram and 256 Storage. I know the base model of the ultra is only 8GB/128. Would I be losing performance if I get the base Ultra or should I opt for the 12GB and 256, like that of my 8T?

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Besides risk of losing warranty if knox is triggered, what other things you loose if you root your S21U? Can you still use your banking app using Magisk hide?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech