From iPhone 12 Pro

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I am considering getting an S21 Ultra 256gb. I am 5 months into my iPhone 12 Pro. I owe $833 on it. If I were to move to the S21 ultra, what would be the best way to do it?

Can I sell my iPhone on eBay before it’s paid off through Verizon?

Do I have to pay it off before I sell it?

Should I go through Verizon, Samsung or another seller?

Any help on convincing the wife that this is a good idea as she’s on ios and deep into the ecosystem. I’m not at all. I mean we have the money in the bank to pay it off early and then sell it but I’m not sure she would go for it. Plus I have like 5 cases for it I would have to sell with it.

I just need some advice in how to talk to her about it as I made the switch back in October to come to ios and she was over the moon happy that I did. And now I’m wanting to return to Android.

Obviously I have to be convinced that this is what I want to do and I’ll have no problem talking to her about it. Maybe I just need to think about this for more than a day.

I know it will suck not having a phone to trade in as well so I’ll most likely be financing for 30 months. Which is fine.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why you have to force other people to use something which they don't prefer. If she likes iOS and iPhone why not let her continue to use it instead of convincing to switch? There isn't anything special with S21 compared to iPhone 12 pro or the same goes other way. May be you can switch to S21 since you seem to like it and have your wife continue with iPhone? Just my be 2 cents

As far as selling, you can first pay off your remaining balance on iPhone with Verizon and then you can sell it directly. Personally don't use eBay since with PayPal and eBay fees it's not that much of value selling there and on top of it worry about scammers etc. If I were you Samsung provides great trade in values, so I would trade in the phone directly via Samsung.com or I would try to sell the phone locally via apps like offerup etc.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
You can certainly sell the iPhone 12 pro on eBay or swappa. Then use that money to help pay off the iPhone payments on your plan. Or just pay off the iPhone with Verizon. Then sell it, and use the money to put towards the s21 ultra. That's up to you. Verizon does't care about your actual iPhone. Only that you pay what you owe very month.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You can certainly sell the iPhone 12 pro on eBay or swappa. Then use that money to help pay off the iPhone payments on your plan. Or just pay off the iPhone with Verizon. Then sell it, and use the money to put towards the s21 ultra. That's up to you. Verizon does't care about your actual iPhone. Only that you pay what you owe very month.
The problem is who wants to buy a phone with still payments on it even though you say you'll pay off? If I were the buyer I wouldn't touch a phone that still has payments on it since too much risk of getting blacklisted if the original owner stop making payments. But I guess you could always find someone who doesn't know about stuff like this and going to buy.

That's why I was suggesting pay off first and then you can sell or trade, that way you can have more buyers interested since you can show proof that it's paid off.

Last edited:

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Good points. I’m not forcing my wife to switch. Only convincing her to be ok with me switching back. I think paying it off is a better option. I will look into swappa as to what they are going for.

Is the Verizon S21 U any different than an unlocked one?

Why is it cheaper to buy one at Best Buy rather than from Verizon?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Good points. I’m not forcing my wife to switch. Only convincing her to be ok with me switching back. I think paying it off is a better option. I will look into swappa as to what they are going for.

The Verizon has Verizon customizations and stuff usually carriers do. Unlocked model is the phone what Samsung originally intended to make. Both will work perfectly fine on Verizon but some people prefer only carrier models for variety of reasons so that's up to you.

Different retailers will have different incentives, pricing etc so that's why you'll see prices not being same at every retailer. Some may have cheaper price, but not great trade ins and vice versa. It depends.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion the best thing is to be honest.

Tell her you tried iOS because it was important to her for some reason, but you hate it. You hate it so much you'd rather not have a phone than continue using it.

You're probably boned lol.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion the best thing is to be honest.

Tell her you tried iOS because it was important to her for some reason, but you hate it. You hate it so much you'd rather not have a phone than continue using it.

You're probably boned lol.

Haha! Good advice. I’d rather have something I’m happy with. I’m slowly growing more and more unhappy with iOS. Non apple earbuds and smart watch don’t always connect right away or stay connected. Lte connection is spotty at work.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I think I have experienced the last straw. iOS does this stupid thing with the brightness. I can set it at say 70% manual brightness and if I leave it there for a while when I’m playing a game, it will automatically reduce the brightness to around 30%. There’s nothing I can do to manually override it. It’s a heat issue. I was playing PUBG for about an hour and suddenly the brightness dropped down. It was so annoying. I don’t need iOS to tell me how to use my phone anymore. I have always used manual brightness because I like to set it myself. But apparently iOS doesn’t allow you to make that decision for yourself.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
iOS looks definitely not for you since you are super frustrated

Just pull the trigger and switch to whichever phone/platform you like. Be happy !!!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

Best Buy doesn't pay commissions and Best Buy moves such bulk they can maintain much smaller profits per sale. Best Buy also doesn't provide the customer service on the back end.

I used to work for Verizon, there were times we couldn't price match Best Buy without selling phones below our cost and losing money.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I went through the exact same thing. I had the iPhone 12 Pro and used my T-Mobile jump and got the S21U. I got mine in October and told my wife I'd give Apple one more chance and after I seen the S21U in person I wanted to use my jump and trade in my iPhone 12 Pro. This is why I will never change plans when I can jump into 2 phones in a 12 month period.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Just broke the news to my wife. Considering the date, she thought it was a joke.
I have an old iPhone 7 on pay as you go for £4.50 a month and I keep it to use my Apple Watch. But my main phones are Android. I don't actually prefer ios versions of apps to android versions, even though a lot of people say they are better.

Glad you are jumping back to where you feel most comfortable. Ios isn't for everyone.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Just broke the news to my wife. Considering the date, she thought it was a joke.
Wishing you luck. I upgraded from the S10 to the S20 FE late last year. My wife waited and went from S10 to S21 Ultra. When she came home with it, being the phone nerd of the two of us I was smitten.

Remarkably jealous, I began hunting for deals. A few weeks in I found a $300 promotional code to purchase straight from Samsung. I'm posting via my S21 Ultra. My T-Mobile S20 FE is sitting in the drawer being paid for and waiting to be traded in at some point. Funds are not an issue for us. She knew when she got that phone I wouldn't be able to help myself. Hell, I'm lucky she understands/puts up with me.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site

Selling a phone that still has payments on swappa is a violation of their TOS. I would not recommend doing this at all on their website. Maybe get away with it on eBay but swappa checks every single listing.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Selling a phone that still has payments on swappa is a violation of their TOS. I would not recommend doing this at all on their website. Maybe get away with it on eBay but swappa checks every single listing.
I wouldn't recommend ebay anymore. Scammer are sneaking around like hot cake.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Verizon isn't like t-mobile with their jump on demand programs where you are literally leasing the phone. With Verizon, only phones that are reported lost or stolen will be blacklisted.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I have already paid the phone off and will recuperate it when I sell it on Swappa. They are selling for around $900. I’m confident I can get that much for mine. It’s in mint condition. I also have 5 cases for it.

If I could change one thing it would be that I wish I wouldn’t have wasted money buying this many cases. On average I spent $10 per case. So it’s not too bad. But I have done this before where I’ll buy multiple cases for my phones and then turn back around and sell the phone to get something else.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I have already paid the phone off and will recuperate it when I sell it on Swappa. They are selling for around $900. I’m confident I can get that much for mine. It’s in mint condition. I also have 5 cases for it.

If I could change one thing it would be that I wish I wouldn’t have wasted money buying this many cases. On average I spent $10 per case. So it’s not too bad. But I have done this before where I’ll buy multiple cases for my phones and then turn back around and sell the phone to get something else.
It happens. I have three cases for my Ultra with another coming. I just tossed a few old S10 cases.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12