Navigation buttons or gesture navigation

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Trying the gestures and I like them. The only thing bothering me is switching back and forth between the same 2 apps. With buttons you double tap the recent button and it feels Way quicker! With gestures unless I'm missing a shortcut? you have to swipe up and hold, then lift your finger and tap when the app moves over. So unless there is some quicker way I'm missing I'll probably go back to buttons.
Yes you are definitely missing something

Been brought up few times in this thread, just swipe from right to left on the bottom gesture bar to switch between apps. You don't have to swipe up and hold and then switch.

See the Home gesture bar below? Just swipe on it from left to right or right to left to switch to and fro between apps.

98cc785b61fe5b438630ecf8ade2d11b.jpg

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes you are definitely missing something

Been brought up few times in this thread, just swipe from right to left on the bottom gesture bar to switch between apps. You don't have to swipe up and hold and then switch.

See the Home gesture bar below? Just swipe on it from left to right or right to left to switch to and fro between apps.

98cc785b61fe5b438630ecf8ade2d11b.jpg

Well, Ha ha ha , a very very good point!

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Ah yes that is way better! You need to have the Hints on to do that/show that bar thing.

Yes I was going to point out that you need this hints feature enabled, which makes it less of a "fullscreen" effect for OCD people hehe. Furthermore, I still maintain that it's not as reliable/accurate as buttons, especially when you want to do it rapidly and repeatedly. This is demonstrably proven by say trying to issue the "recent apps" and "homescreen" command 100 times alternately in a row. As I've pointed out before, gestures requires more kinetic energy and time to issue the command. Tapping directly down will always be faster (analogous to the jab being faster than a hook/swing in boxing).

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes I was going to point out that you need this hints feature enabled, which makes it less of a "fullscreen" effect for OCD people hehe. Furthermore, I still maintain that it's not as reliable/accurate as buttons, especially when you want to do it rapidly and repeatedly. This is demonstrably proven by say trying to issue the "recent apps" and "homescreen" command 100 times alternately in a row. As I've pointed out before, gestures requires more kinetic energy and time to issue the command. Tapping directly down will always be faster (analogous to the jab being faster than a hook/swing in boxing).
It's pretty reliable and fast and I use it all the time. Never ever I have missed it. Obviously you aren't a fan of gestures which is fine and that's why there are options. Gestures work fine perfectly for many and it's intuitive and fast to me and many others. Personally I wouldn't go back to buttons even if they pay me

It's fine not everyone has to like it or will get used to it. It's just preference and I never felt gestures are slower or inconvenient. May be for your scenarios sure but for me and probably many others who use it's not.

Last edited:

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
It's pretty reliable and fast and I use it all the time. Never ever I have missed it. Obviously you aren't a fan of gestures which is fine and that's why there are options. Gestures work fine perfectly for many and it's intuitive and fast to me and many others. Personally I wouldn't go back to buttons even if they pay me

It's fine not everyone has to like it or will get used to it. It's just preference and I never felt gestures are slower or inconvenient. May be for your scenarios sure but for me and probably many others who use it's not.

To be honest, we're talking about very little time/energy differences here, hence why I'm not surprised many people prefer gestures. As I've pointed out before, some scenarios are actually slightly faster with gestures (eg. issuing the back command intermittently with Google gestures when using the phone one-handed). I'd argue that when using the phone two-handed though, it becomes hard to imagine a scenario where gestures is faster.

I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't saying gestures is really slow or really unreliable. I'm talking "relative" to buttons, gestures is a little slower in most scenarios. But as you imply, the difference is small enough that many people prefer the "fluidity" of the hook/swing hehe, and also get to enjoy more screen real estate.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, we're talking about very little time/energy differences here, hence why I'm not surprised many people prefer gestures. As I've pointed out before, some scenarios are actually slightly faster with gestures (eg. issuing the back command intermittently with Google gestures when using the phone one-handed). I'd argue that when using the phone two-handed though, it becomes hard to imagine a scenario where gestures is faster.

I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't saying gestures is really slow or really unreliable. I'm talking "relative" to buttons, gestures is a little slower in most scenarios. But as you imply, the difference is small enough that many people prefer the "fluidity" of the hook/swing hehe, and also get to enjoy more screen real estate.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Using the back gesture is key when using a phone like the Fold... Otherwise you are two handing lower down for the button

thacounty

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Gestures. I use Good Lock with Navstar so that I can have the white pill overlay the screen. This way I can have the full screen and use the quick swipe between apps.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Gestures. I use Good Lock with Navstar so that I can have the white pill overlay the screen. This way I can have the full screen and use the quick swipe between apps.
Is there a difference between this and built in gestures hint? With hints on you get a small bar at the bottom for quick switching apps.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Buttons here!
Although, I really loved to use gestures on my Palm Prē back in the day...
I don't think I've used Google or Apple gestures, but I tried with the gestures on my Samsung phone; ugh, dumb dumb!
My daughter uses a Motorola phone, using gestures on that phone is actually closer to the way WebOS did it.
My daughter loves using gestures on her Motorola phone, and I let her use my Palm Prē just to see her reaction, she loved it!
So, if Google, Samsung etc, use a gesture solution similar to WebOS or Motorola, than definitely, gestures for the win!
Isn't Duarte working for Android/Google now, what's the hold up on using gestures the right and best way?
Sent From the TARDIS
I loved my palm pre

thacounty

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken the small bar at the bottom is still in front of a black overlay that reduces screen size. Good lock allows the bar to overlay the display and you get the entire screen's real estate.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken the small bar at the bottom is still in front of a black overlay that reduces screen size. Good lock allows the bar to overlay the display and you get the entire screen's real estate.

I did not know this! Gonna turn on gesture hints and test!

EDIT: Nice!

Last edited:

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Great thread idea - thank you for posting! I've tried gestures but I'm just not that great at using them. I prefer the button navigation, for sure!

Same here! I'm not that great at using them and I don't remember and I'm just used to the buttons being there.

Blaalad12

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Only problem i have with gestures is when swiping from left to right at the bottom of the screen to switch between apps it usually will take you to the next app and then jump straight back to the previous app and i have to then repeat the gesture often 2 or 3 times before it stays. Rarely works perfect the first swipe

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I really like the Samsung Gestures. Super easy to get used to when you're used to buttons and it's just makes much more sense than the iPhone/google gestures.