Help needed please - Phone app not showing "missed call" notifications on lockscreen and AOD

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Help needed please - Phone app not showing "missed call" notifications on lockscreen and AOD

This isn't very easy to describe, but I've noticed this "bug" for a while. I managed to workaround it by not updating the Phone app (as it appears the bug was introduced with the 24th Feb 2021 update for the Phone app). However, with the April (whole phone) software update, it's forced the Phone app to also update to a newer version which has this bug.

I'd be grateful if someone could see if they can reproduce this bug as follows:
-Ensure you are using the built-in Samsung Phone app as default
-Ensure the version of your Phone app is at least "12.1.10.28" (my current version is "12.1.10.41")
-Ensure your phone is off charger
-Ensure your phone is in standby for at least 1 minute (and ensure it's not being woken up during this period due to receiving messages or other notifications)
-Call the phone, and don't pick-up. Once the phone is "ringing", you can hang up
-Observe that no missed call notification is shown on the AOD or the lockscreen - this is the bug
-Wake the phone and get to the homescreen - you'll now see the missed call notification pop up at the top. If you put the phone back in standby, you'll also now notice the notification on AOD and the lockscreen

I can reproduce this bug following a factory reset, and also in Safe mode. Therefore, I'm thinking this should be a universal bug, but I'm hoping at least one other person can reproduce this. I've tried searching in other forums/threads but no one seems to be reporting this. I'd have thought this would be extremely widespread and many would have noticed this by now, hence why I'm posting to ask. Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to reproduce this.

Last edited:

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: Help needed please - Phone app not showing "missed call" notifications on lockscreen and AOD

Couple of observations/clarifications from the original post:
-If the phone isn't in standby for at least around 1 minute, then all works fine and the missed call notification shows up on AOD and lockscreen
-If the phone is charging, there is also no issue
-Phone app with older version numbers to above have no issue
-As described in the original post, navigating to the homescreen following a missed call appears to "trigger" the notification to display

Given all the above, it makes me wonder if something is putting the "Missed call" notification mechanism to "sleep". I suspect the only hope is for the Phone app to update to correct this bug.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Help needed please - Phone app not showing "missed call" notifications on lockscreen and AOD

Hi, try the Google phone app see if its the same

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

Hi, try the Google phone app see if its the same

Thanks for the suggestion, and certainly something I've considered. However, I'd rather see if others can reproduce this first. As I've mentioned before, I try to avoid installing additional software.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Thanks for the suggestion, and certainly something I've considered. However, I'd rather see if others can reproduce this first. As I've mentioned before, I try to avoid installing additional software.
Ok definitely can see with other members , just was curious if it would follow to a 3rd party phone app also the bug.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

Ok definitely can see with other members , just was curious if it would follow to a 3rd party phone app also the bug.

Looks like no one willing to try to reproduce it.

I installed the Google Phone app and no issues with that. That certainly could be a workaround for now, but I do prefer the Samsung Phone app.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Looks like no one willing to try to reproduce it.

I installed the Google Phone app and no issues with that. That certainly could be a workaround for now, but I do prefer the Samsung Phone app.
You can also try long pressing the phone app then tap info scroll to storage and clear data and force stop. If that doesn't work probably have to wait until next update see if it gets fixed and use the Google phone app for time being.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

You can also try long pressing the phone app then tap info scroll to storage and clear data and force stop. If that doesn't work probably have to wait until next update see if it gets fixed and use the Google phone app for time being.

Yes I've tried clearing data and force stopping etc. It's almost certainly a bug introduced with recent Phone app versions.

What interests me is that no one else is reporting this bug.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Ok I'm not a Samsung app guy, hate their apps

But I'm going to change the default to Samsung phone app and going to try your steps. I'll report back what I see.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

FWIW my Samsung phone dialer version is 12.1.10.30 and don't see any updates available on play store or galaxy store for it.

I'm on the US unlocked model S21 ultra, anyway will try this version since that's what I have

23fff6492cfdc6d368cc03575afa2283.jpg

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

That's perfect thanks. It doesn't actually take long to try it (a couple of minutes).

I posted in another forum, and at least one person has been able to reproduce this now. I wonder how we go about reporting this to Samsung?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Hmm I didn't show the missed call until I unlocked the phone. But once I unlocked it shows on the lock screen after I lock it again.

Let me try another time to check if it's the same behavior.
3afc6b8aaff77262138654c5fdbf4abf.jpg

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

That's exactly it! Thanks for testing!

It makes me wonder if people are just never missing calls! There must be millions of Samsung users out there that use the Samsung Phone app, and surely many would have discovered this issue by now. I'm now confident that this bug has existed for at least 6 weeks now. This is pretty sad, and again, I wonder how we bring this to Samsung's attention.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Yep doesn't show missed call on the AOD or lock screen until I unlock the phone once. But after I do that it shows (screenshot in above post).

As far as reporting to Samsung, try Samsung members app. My personal belief is Samsung sucks in terms of caring about customer service and stuff like this. So you might not get anywhere but doesn't hurt to try if you want. If you don't have Samsung members app may be try reporting there I guess.

Now let me change back to Google dialer again and be happy to use my preferred Google apps

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Also, yes I tried the same scenario on Google dialer app and it shows the missed call correctly on AOD and lock screen without needed to unlock the phone once.

I agree this a crazy bug, not sure why this is present and should be addressed by Samsung. Good thing is most likely can be fixed with update to phone app and don't have to wait for useless carriers to certify system update etc.

Good catch and crazy bug lol

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Double check incase it got turned off somehow, settings>locked screen>notification >all turned on here ?Screenshot_20210403-160142_Settings.jpg

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

Also, yes I tried the same scenario on Google dialer app and it shows the missed call correctly on AOD and lock screen without needed to unlock the phone once.

I agree this a crazy bug, not sure why this is present and should be addressed by Samsung. Good thing is most likely can be fixed with update to phone app and don't have to wait for useless carriers to certify system update etc.

Good catch and crazy bug lol

Thanks, yes crazy indeed. As I mentioned/implied in the original post, the bug didn't exist on an older version of Phone app. From what I can tell, it only seems to have come on from version "12.1.10.28" (although it's possible could have been on slightly older versions too). Your version is slightly newer to that version, hence you also noticed the bug.

What's worrying is that version "12.1.10.28" is about 6 weeks old, and there's still no fix to this.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

Then gotta wait for next update see if it gets fixed.

Yes, fingers crossed I suppose. I had been holding off updating to the newer version of Phone app in the Galaxy Store, but the April software update has forced it to update to an even newer version (which worryingly, still contains the bug). And as we know, there's no practical way to revert this update. I do wish Samsung would allow the ability to uninstall these individual app updates when it's updated via a "whole phone" software update.

I wonder if this lack of control over individual app updates is seen on phones from Google and Oneplus?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia