Google Pay vs Samsung Pay

anon(10621852)

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Looking for some feedback on the Google Pay experience, particularly on Samsung Galaxy devices. I currently use Samsung Pay on my S21, but I'm interested in switching over to Google Pay because I'm already using most Google services. Samsung Pay has been OK, I'm not over the moon about it or anything, but I'd really like to know how Google Pay is, specifically on Galaxy phones.

I know Google Pay has recently given their app an overhaul and the initial reviews in the Google Play Store were not very good. So that part has me hesitant to switch right now. A lot of reviews saying the app is really buggy, some saying it's a train wreck (?)

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I switched from Samsung Pay to the new Google Pay. Works better for me....just as an example the gas station I go to has at pump pay, samsung pay worked maybe 20% of the time whereas google pay probably 99% of the time. I assumed the nfc part was same, guess not..samsung pay would beep like read and pump would give error and say had to pay inside store

anon(10621852)

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
I switched from Samsung Pay to the new Google Pay. Works better for me....just as an example the gas station I go to has at pump pay, samsung pay worked maybe 20% of the time whereas google pay probably 99% of the time. I assumed the nfc part was same, guess not..samsung pay would beep like read and pump would give error and say had to pay inside store

So how does Google Pay work on Samsung? Can you set it to be the default pay app? Can you access it the same way you would Samsung Pay (from the AOD screen and lock screen) by swiping up from the bottom? Or is it more cumbersome on Samsung because Samsung probably wants you to use their app ?

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
So how does Google Pay work on Samsung? Can you set it to be the default pay app? Can you access it the same way you would Samsung Pay (from the AOD screen and lock screen) by swiping up from the bottom? Or is it more cumbersome on Samsung because Samsung probably wants you to use their app ?

Yes you can set it as default. You don't have to swipe up to use. I think when its on its on, but I use shortcut and open and fingerprint then touch. No more difficult to me. BTW, I switched to the new G-Pay version and not old Google Pay. I like it better.

anon(10621852)

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
So I've got Google Pay all set up in the app, but it doesn't look like there's a way to quick-launch the app from Screen Off or Lock Screen. You actually have to get to your home screen, open the app, then touch the credit card up top. It is several extra steps compared to using Samsung Pay, where I can literally swipe up on the AOD screen and you're in. Haven't decided if this is a deal breaker or not.

Samsung Pay - the only real downside for me so far is the persistent ads! Ridiculous. I don't see a way to disable the ads.

Google Pay - no ad banners, nice clean interface, well-polished app. Just harder to access when you're in a rush.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
So I've got Google Pay all set up in the app, but it doesn't look like there's a way to quick-launch the app from Screen Off or Lock Screen. You actually have to get to your home screen, open the app, then touch the credit card up top.
Nope. Just unlock your phone and hold it over the NFC pad. Nothing to open or tap.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I use Samsung Pay mainly so that I can use my Samsung Galaxy Sport watch to pay at the terminal. Can you do this with G-Pay too? Will G-Pay work with a Tizen OS based watch?

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I use Samsung Pay mainly so that I can use my Samsung Galaxy Sport watch to pay at the terminal. Can you do this with G-Pay too? Will G-Pay work with a Tizen OS based watch?

you do not need sp on your phone to use it on your watch. and you cannot use gp on you tizen watch.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
It depends on what you want to do. I can tell you that if you juts want to pay for stuff, Google pay works fine. I haven't really explored all features, so I can't speak to that, but in general I think that there are more places that take Google Pay that Samsung pay.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It seems like there isn't really a reason to use Samsung pay anymore.

There never was here in the UK, but US users used to have MST and rewards, but now it just seems like a worse Google pay.

Reactions: kikbxr1969

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
It depends on what you want to do. I can tell you that if you juts want to pay for stuff, Google pay works fine. I haven't really explored all features, so I can't speak to that, but in general I think that there are more places that take Google Pay that Samsung pay.

actually there are more places that take Samsung Pay than Google Pay.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's when MST was there, it's not like more places where willingly taking Samsung pay, it's just Samsung pay with MST worked with usual magnetic reader terminals so whether the shop takes or not didn't matter. If there is a credit card magnetic swipe reader then Samsung pay with MST worked which was great.

But that's no longer the case with removal of MST on samsung pay. So Google pay and Samsung pay both use NFC alone and they'll work the same everywhere. If there is a NFC terminal both Google and Samsung pay work. It'll come down to personal preference.

For me personally no reason to use Samsung pay as they no longer have any advantage over Google pay. Just using Google pay makes sense since it gives me consistent experience on all my Android phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: kikbxr1969

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
That's when MST was there, it's not like more places where willingly taking Samsung pay, it's just Samsung pay with MST worked with usual magnetic reader terminals so whether the shop takes or not didn't matter. If there is a credit card magnetic swipe reader then Samsung pay with MST worked which was great.

But that's no longer the case with removal of MST on samsung pay. So Google pay and Samsung pay both use NFC alone and they'll work the same everywhere. If there is a NFC terminal both Google and Samsung pay work. It'll come down to personal preference.

For me personally no reason to use Samsung pay as they no longer have any advantage over Google pay. Just using Google pay makes sense since it gives me consistent experience on all my Android phones.

the post I was responding to was a general statement. As of now, Samsung pay is available in more places than google pay. There are still plenty of samsung phone on the market that has MST. In the future this may change if new samsung phones no longer carry it an/or disable MST on all phones. Just because one phone series no longer has it does not mean all future phones won't have it. I guess it is going to depend on the feedback Samsung gets from their MST users though I do believe MST will be dropped.

Just to note, you can also use google pay to shop with online at more places than samsung pay so at this time, that is currently the only area Google pay beats Samsung pay.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
the post I was responding to was a general statement. As of now, Samsung pay is available in more places than google pay. There are still plenty of samsung phone on the market that has MST. In the future this may change if new samsung phones no longer carry it an/or disable MST on all phones. Just because one phone series no longer has it does not mean all future phones won't have it. I guess it is going to depend on the feedback Samsung gets from their MST users though I do believe MST will be dropped.

Just to note, you can also use google pay to shop with online at more places than samsung pay so at this time, that is currently the only area Google pay beats Samsung pay.

Yeah but the device this thread concerns is in that one series.

In any other recent Samsung flagship thread it may be valuable, but here your comment was a little misleading.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site

I don't think you are correct. None of the places I have been able to use my Google Pay have accepted Samsung Pay. Now, if you have an older phone with the older version of Samsung Pay that does MST, that will work. But if you using the newer phones that no longer have that capacity, it's going to be a very different experience.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you are correct. None of the places I have been able to use my Google Pay have accepted Samsung Pay. Now, if you have an older phone with the older version of Samsung Pay that does MST, that will work. But if you using the newer phones that no longer have that capacity, it's going to be a very different experience.
When you say they don't accept Samsung pay, you mean the store says to you that they don't accept? If it's a NFC terminal where Google pay works, don't see any reason why Samsung pay with NFC won't work.