Google or Samsung

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I heard that the s21 was supposed to come with Google/Samsung collaboration and looks like international version getting it before US .
Yeah it was big news when launched and international versions had this. Not in the US obviously since Samsung has no authority here and dance to whatever carriers say

They probably have to first get all their buy in here. Anyway doesn't matter we can use the Google Messages directly so doesn't affect me personally whatever they decide to do.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I am in the UK and Samsung messages has RCS built in with my S10+. I use that in preference over google messages as I like being able to pin messages and set up categories.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I just downloaded Fuzzy google messages app version , doesn't say Samsung though like his screen View attachment 333615

The most obvious difference is that it will over-scroll like a one UI app (so that it says "Messages" on the entire top third of the screen). It doesn't have categories that I can see, which I never used, but it does filter span.

Most importantly it doesn't obfuscate long messages behind a "view all" button. A practice which infuriated me with Samsung messages.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot of default app picker showing that they bizarrely and confusingly both use the Google icon.

Attachments

• 1696.jpg
    1696.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 12

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I am in the UK and Samsung messages has RCS built in with my S10+. I use that in preference over google messages as I like being able to pin messages and set up categories.

Yeah it works on both for me. But the Americans let their networks get away with murder!

Only company they listen to is Apple, and they want RCS to succeed even less than the carriers do.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The most obvious difference is that it will over-scroll like a one UI app (so that it says "Messages" on the entire top third of the screen). It doesn't have categories that I can see, which I never used, but it does filter span.

Most importantly it doesn't obfuscate long messages behind a "view all" button. A practice which infuriated me with Samsung messages.
Ok so it has a mix of both google and samsung flare , I do like the stock samsung message app but until I get rcs I'm going stick with google.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
One thing for sure going forward in the US is carrier are scrapping their version of RCS so looks to be google going forward

jope28

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
As it should be. Give every Android user one stock sms/chat app.

Agreed.
I just don't understand why Google Messages can't get black/dark mode like Samsung Messages, the settings and rest of UI.
That grayish theme they call "dark" doesn't make sense for our screens.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Agreed.
I just don't understand why Google Messages can't get black/dark mode like Samsung Messages, the settings and rest of UI.
That grayish theme they call "dark" doesn't make sense for our screens.
True I would like the darker theme also

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty