Wireless Fast Charge....No More

stevetaz

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
The recent major update seems to have "broken" my wireless fast charger's compatibility with the S21. I actually just noticed it over the last few days.

Up until the AUC8 Update, around April 5, my Choetech wireless charger would fast charge the S21. Suddenly, I see the "Fast Charge" indicator come on when I lay the device on the pad, but then 5-10 seconds later a notification tells me the charger isn't compatible and it will charge at the "Normal" rate.

A web search shows this has been an issue since early March for some:
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...wireless-charging-problem/td-p/1675261/page/5

I suppose it is because my charger is only rated at 10W, but why did it work before the recent update? I have multiple chargers all around the house, but I will not spend additional money to replace them all.

Bah! Humbug!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, try safe mode ? Maybe the update changed something , I thought 15w wireless was fast charging could be wrong .

stevetaz

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Same in Safe Mode, but I wouldn't have expected that to change. The fact that Fast Charge appears, but quickly changes to incompatible makes me suspicious. That and the fact that Fast Charging worked fine for about a month until the most recent update leaves me wondering if Samsung has designs on changing to a closed ecosystem a la Apple.

I would almost buy that it has to do with the power cord feeding the Qi Charging pad as it is not a USB C cord and may not conduct enough power, but again, why did it work fine up to a software update?

From Samsung's S21 Spec Sheet:
*Fast Wireless Charging 2.0 currently available with Wireless Charger Stand, Wireless Charger Duo Pad and Samsung devices that support wireless charging at 10W or higher.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. Same in Safe Mode, but I wouldn't have expected that to change. The fact that Fast Charge appears, but quickly changes to incompatible makes me suspicious. That and the fact that Fast Charging worked fine for about a month until the most recent update leaves me wondering if Samsung has designs on changing to a closed ecosystem a la Apple.

I would almost buy that it has to do with the power cord feeding the Qi Charging pad as it is not a USB C cord and may not conduct enough power, but again, why did it work fine up to a software update?

From Samsung's S21 Spec Sheet:
*Fast Wireless Charging 2.0 currently available with Wireless Charger Stand, Wireless Charger Duo Pad and Samsung devices that support wireless charging at 10W or higher.
Yeah I'm thinking same possible samsung update changed this going forward.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi, try safe mode ? Maybe the update changed something , I thought 15w wireless was fast charging could be wrong .

Think it's anything above 5W.

I've seen a few people complain about this. Pixels were broken as well last month, so I think it's something in core Android rather than Samsung specifically.

Try turning fast wireless charging off, charge for a bit, then reboot and turn it back on.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Think it's anything above 5W.

I've seen a few people complain about this. Pixels were broken as well last month, so I think it's something in core Android rather than Samsung specifically.

Try turning fast wireless charging off, charge for a bit, then reboot and turn it back on.
5w wireless and above is fast charging , ok thanks , maybe I'm thinking 15w is super fast charging then .

stevetaz

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, but no luck. Even with fast wireless charging turned off I still got the error notification advising my fast wireless charger isn't compatible with my phone. Perhaps the message should state it isn't compatible with the Android software, not the phone.

So, the phone/software is recognizing the charger is a fast charger. Just not for my S21 any more.

<sigh>

stevetaz

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi, try safe mode ?

And mustang, I will not be trying safe mode any more. When I came out of safe mode it had changed my default choice of Nova for my launcher. Actually had to go back in to reselect Nova as the default.

Then I discovered that sync was turned off for all three of the email addresses I receive on the phone requiring I turn each back on.

Can't wait to see what else was changed that I haven't noticed yet.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
And mustang, I will not be trying safe mode any more. When I came out of safe mode it had changed my default choice of Nova for my launcher. Actually had to go back in to reselect Nova as the default.

Then I discovered that sync was turned off for all three of the email addresses I receive on the phone requiring I turn each back on.

Can't wait to see what else was changed that I haven't noticed yet.
Nova I could understand as it turn off 3rd party apps but sync I'm surprised, this is a good tool.safe mode in checking issues and sometimes just going in and out has fixes mysterious issues.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
5w wireless and above is fast charging , ok thanks , maybe I'm thinking 15w is super fast charging then .

According to Samsung, at least lol.

I've just dug up my old 10W RAVpower wireless charger and I can confirm I get the same message telling me it's not compatible. Although I've never used it with my S21 ultra, so I can't say how long it's been the case.

Now I'm REALLY glad I thought the £100 Mous want for their wireless charger is a bit ridiculous lol .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
According to Samsung, at least lol.

I've just dug up my old 10W RAVpower wireless charger and I can confirm I get the same message telling me it's not compatible. Although I've never used it with my S21 ultra, so I can't say how long it's been the case.

Now I'm REALLY glad I thought the £100 Mous want for their wireless charger is a bit ridiculous lol .
For wireless charging I always stayed with the manufacturer stand like pixel stand for them and Samsung fast wireless charging stand for those, I kinda had good luck and deals so haven't tried 3rd party ones.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Working fine for me on the official Samsung wireless charger and I’m on the latest April update on US unlocked S21 ultra.

5ae0e3bf984ab2a07d5481c5605cdeb7.jpg

stevetaz

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it's that cheap third party charger?

That "cheap" third-party charger has been working fine with multiple Samsung devices for several years and that includes the new S21 5G for the first month until the most recent system "upgrade".

Third-party gear doesn't necessarily mean cheap, but branded gear does usually mean over-priced. Sometimes for good reason, but often for no reason other than they can.

It's good you are keeping an open mind.

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
So I just tested my Moto Z4 Turbo Charger and an Anker wireless charging stand and my Ultra did in fact fast wireless charge. It appears that the issue is not manufacturer based but charger specification based. Samsung clearly states the the charging requirements:

"Fast Wireless Charging 2.0
USB PD 3.0 (PPS) certified Fast Charging for wired charging (AFC and QC2.0 compatible)*WPC certified Wireless charging"

Remember that The QI wireless spec is specific to the wireless charging type (Induction), cable type and some other features but really doesn't dictate charge speed, that comes from the specs of the wall charger.

Here's what I ran the test with.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6940184

moto-charger.jpg
20210422_091214.jpg

stevetaz

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
bill-e, thanks for your input. After reading I fiddled some more and discovered the power block I have the wireless pad connected to seemed to match yours in specs so I connected to the phone directly using a USB C cord and it does indeed fast charge the phone. I thought maybe it was related to the mini USB connecting to the pad, but I see your Anker unit also uses a mini USB connector so I suppose it can't be that.

I tried connecting a Samsung adaptive fast charge power block to the wireless pad and it did not even register as a fast charge at all.

So, looks like in my case at least, the incompatibility lies with the wireless pad. Still makes no sense that it registers as fast charge displaying the shorter charge time for several seconds before showing that error message and reverting back to "normal" charging with a longer time to complete the charge.

Technology.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles