Strategies and where to buy S21 Ultra, unlocked, 512gb?

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I seem to have waited too long to upgrade my Note 9. I'm old-fashioned--I refuse to buy a locked phone; without an SD card, I need 512 gb storage; I'm looking forward to the large phone (I wouldn't put it into a pocket on a bet); and need an S-pen.

However, I have surfed and phoned all over the US, and can't find a 512 model anywhere. (I even considered getting an AT&T phone, but their promised delivery date was July. July?) In the past, I have bought a few phones that were European or Japanese models. I don't think I'm up to that anymore, but maybe...

Any advice?

Thanks,
sfrrr

Last edited:

illiniah

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I ordered my 512 blue at launch direct from Samsung and I had to wait 6+ weeks for delivery. If you want one (and you may not like this), I suggest ordering direct and patience.

FACTagent

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I gave up and finally ordered a 256 GB Verizon s21 Ultra model from Samsung. I looked at my storage usage on my Note 20 ultra and determined the files I really need (mostly high-quality music files) take up 160 GB. There were 36 GB of videos I don't really need in local storage; cloud access is fine for all but a small handful. So, 256 seemed like enough, although I would have preferred 512 GB to just not have to worry about storage. Samsung is offering $700 for my Note 20 Ultra, so net on the s21 Ultra is around $475. They also had an offer for a $100 accessory credit that I will be taking advantage of to buy an S-Pen and some S-Pen cases. I view this as my "hold me over until I see what Samsung does in 2022" upgrade: If there's a Note 21 (or 22) in 2022, I'll upgrade to that next year. Otherwise, S22 ultra if it still supports the S-pen. Not ready yet to jump on the foldable train especially with recent news suggesting the Fold 3 will still not have an integrated S-pen silo and durability concerns given how much time I like to spend on the beach in the summer.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've tried all the retail and manufacturer sources you all recommended and more. Thanks.

I've been thinking about the 256 gig model-- don't seem to have much choice. Like FACTagent's, I could use the 256gb version as a bridge to the S22 generation. Expensive stop gap.

I'll put a lot of my music on USB on-the-go thumb drives. But it's still scary coming that close to topping out the 256gb total storage capacity right at the very beginning of the new phone's life span.

Thanks for your help. Any other ideas welcome.

Sfrrr

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I ended up going to Verizon and got one from my carrier at the 256gb model. I knew I didn't want the 128gb model- the only issue is that the Verizon model, despite being bought outright has to wait to be unlocked. not too much of a big deal, but still lame.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I ended up going to Verizon and got one from my carrier at the 256gb model. I knew I didn't want the 128gb model- the only issue is that the Verizon model, despite being bought outright has to wait to be unlocked. not too much of a big deal, but still lame.

Aren't the VZW phones all unlocked from the start nowadays?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For me personally I could care less about if the phone is SIM unlocked, I buy unlocked phone because it runs unlocked firmware as Samsung envisioned and not some modified firmware as wanted by carrier. SIM unlocking I could care less I'm not changing carriers but I care about having unlocked clean firmware.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
For me personally I could care less about if the phone is SIM unlocked, I buy unlocked phone because it runs unlocked firmware as Samsung envisioned and not some modified firmware as wanted by carrier. SIM unlocking I could care less I'm not changing carriers but I care about having unlocked clean firmware.
Agree there

Wildside

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Same , I've been on unlocked version for awhile now .

I switched to iPhone last fall because I needed an easy way to video call with my parents.

I'm planning to switch back to Android and purchase a S21 direct from Samsung.

What are the advantages of the unlocked firmware?

Thanks