Google Photos Sync?

Zakjoe1234

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I jave an issue. I have a Samsung S21, 256gb that's about 60-70% full. With Google Photos not being free soon, I want to do a full backup. However, it doesn't seem like my Google Photos automatically backs up.

It's just saying "Getting ready to backup...", but it's showing 79k files (I have about 58k which is still a lot tbh). For it to backup automatically, do I need to open the app and keep it minimised?

I have it set on backup/sync, I even have an email address dedicated just for the backup. I also have it set to run on mobile data since I have unlimited data.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
With that many files to back up, it might take a long time for it to prepare. You may need to leave it overnight. Also, make sure Google Photos isn't Battery Optimized in the system settings, or else the system might kill the app in the background when the screen goes to sleep.

Zakjoe1234

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
It had frozen, so I cleared the cache and it stopped working. Cleared data, 800 reinstalls. Nothing worked. Then I was advised to remove all permissions, and allow again, now it's syncing, currently at 35k. I was thinking once they're all found, to just backup 1 folder at a time, and hopefully it'll all sync before June 1st...

Suddenly it's frozen again, I haven't turned any of the folders on yet.

Shall I do so and see what happens?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The main thing I'm not sure of is if you clear the cache/data, will Google Photos try to backup photos it already backed up?

Another thing to keep in mind is that with all the data you'll be using, make sure you're not hitting any data cap with your home internet or mobile provider. It probably wouldn't stop your data altogether, but you might get throttled, which might look like freezing.

Zakjoe1234

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
I tried it before but had no luck.

Now it's showing 79k (I'm sure I have 58k), but it's still saying "Getting photos". I haven't tried clearing cache/date since it has shown 79k. Shall I try or wait? I can keep it minimised while I'm at work later today (8.5 hour shift).

I'm not sure if it's taking ages to start because of the amount, or it's not working. The only recent backups are ones I did manually.

As for data, I'm on WiFi almost all the time, just not when I'm on my way to and from work.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You said you haven't turned on any folders yet -- so are you syncing the Camera folder only (i.e., the photos taken by your Camera app)?

Zakjoe1234

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
You said you haven't turned on any folders yet -- so are you syncing the Camera folder only (i.e., the photos taken by your Camera app)?

Correct, but since then I've turned them all on. But it hasn't done anything. It's still saying "Getting Photos". Not sure what else to do....

Zakjoe1234

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
Still no luck unfortunately

I can try signing out again. It took ages to find the pics, but the issue it's not auto backing them up despite finding them. If I manually back up via the app, it works but there's too many for me to do that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Still no luck unfortunately

I can try signing out again. It took ages to find the pics, but the issue it's not auto backing them up despite finding them. If I manually back up via the app, it works but there's too many for me to do that.
Have you tried signing out then back in?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it ultimately has to do with the sheer number of photos that are trying to be backed up in one go. I'm not sure if Google Photos was designed to handle that well.

Zakjoe1234

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
I've been told my google drive email should be the same as the photos, so I've changed that and waiting, but I have a feeling it's due to the amount of files.

Not sure if there's a way around it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs