Smart Lock

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Thankfully the fantastic Bixby routines can do most, if not all, of the functionality.

On home WiFi - unlock device, turn off data etc etc .

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Thankfully the fantastic Bixby routines can do most, if not all, of the functionality.

Thanks! Tip of the day. :)
Just to note that activating Lockdown mode from long press of the side ON/OFF button overrides the Bixby rule to keep the phone unlocked which may be handy on occasion. Would be even better to have a shortcut icon on the home screen to force Lockdown - And of course there is an app that does that https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tommasoberlose.lockdown&hl=en_GB&gl=US.

Last edited:

EODK9Trainer

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of Bixby I never used it on my last Samsung nor have I used it on this new Ultra. Main reason. I'm confused by it. Is it really something I should be using or is it mostly a gimmick?

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Depends if you have a use for it. As above it solves a problem for me with Smart Lock being hit and miss while being at home.

Just added another Bixby Routine today to turn Bluetooth on when I am away from home (ie disconnected from my home wi-fi). This means I can have BT turned off at home to stop it fighting with my tablet for connection to my BT radio in the living room yet ensure it is turned back on to enable the contact tracing app to do its thing when I am out and about.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of Bixby I never used it on my last Samsung nor have I used it on this new Ultra. Main reason. I'm confused by it. Is it really something I should be using or is it mostly a gimmick?
There are 2 parts to it. Yes, it's a digital assistant like Google assistant et al. But that was never really meant to be it's main function. It is brilliant at controlling your actual phone and any connected devices.

Unfortunately it was marketed as being the first so has always been dismissed.

I love the routines. Makes it really hard to use a device without it. Yes there are 3rd party alternatives like ITTT , but none as integrated.

Simple things like having no need for mobile data, location services, Bluetooth and phone locked whist in my own house.
And the opposite when in my car..... You get the idea.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Have now realised that I can now do without Smart Lock altogether given the Bixby routine to keep the phone unlocked when connected to my home wi-fi. Very rarely do I need to have the phone locked at home and better to have the phone locked while out and about even if (especially if) listening to something over a Bluetooth device with the phone in my pocket where it has proven to be susceptible to pocket surfing with Accidental Touch Protection not doing its job. Jury still out on car radio actually but I usually queue a playlist of sufficient length to cover the planned journey and never make or answer calls while driving - car radio controls can be used for that if absolutely necessary.

Adjusted the screen timeout to 15 seconds and the screen lock to 30 seconds to cover those occasions the phone is on the table and I am intermittently fiddling with it.

Last edited:

EODK9Trainer

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Guess it is time to figure this Bixby out. I so under utilize these smart phones and miss out on so much. I feel I need a teenager to teach me. My first phone back in my 20's was the Bell Atlantic bag phone with 200 free minutes a month. Would only work while plugged in of course.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Rowing back on using Smart Lock for Bluetooth devices after my first shift in the work van yesterday and having to keep unlocking the phone. While working I keep the phone in a belt holster (to avoid it being banged while carrying heavy stuff around) which is not as susceptible to pocket surfing as having it in my pocket while out walking. Maybe another belt holster for my walking trousers is the answer?

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Have I discovered the secret to kicking Smart Lock back into action? I have been playing with it over the past few days and discovered that on all occasions when Smart Lock didn't kick in when it should to keep the phone unlocked (ie when connected to an authorised Bluetooth device) that pressing the power button to turn the screen off that the phone would then remain unlocked. Couldn't find this workaround suggested anywhere.

Would be interested to know if I have just been lucky with an extraordinary run of coincidences or if it really is a 100% reliable way of doing it. Note that I have the "Lock instantly with Side key" setting turned on and I figure this triggers the phone to do a proper check / refresh of what should be the current Smart Lock status.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
And another discovery is the tip that turning off "Lift to wake" in "Motions and gestures" stops my my phone from pocket surfing even when unlocked. :)

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
And another discovery is the tip that turning off "Lift to wake" in "Motions and gestures" stops my my phone from pocket surfing even when unlocked. :)

This known. It is similar to when a device without a security lock of any kind is placed in the pocket. Actually you may find that you still run into issues if you are a screen in carrier. If you carry the device screen in, towards your body, you may find that it will still exhibit bad behavior when kept in an unlocked state if you have tap to wake turned on/enabled. Since it is taps/touches that cause the bad behavior in the pocket it could recognize these as a wake up call and still cause issues. If you're a screen out carrier, screen facing away from the body, then those would likely be all the precautions needed.

...when Smart Lock didn't kick in when it should to keep the phone unlocked (ie when connected to an authorized Bluetooth device) that pressing the power button to turn the screen off that the phone would then remain unlocked. Couldn't find this workaround suggested anywhere.

I haven't seen anyone post an issue about it not working when connected to a device, only the location seems to be an issue. I recall looking this up not long after this thread began and seeing articles back as far as 2018. I want to say that I found one from 2015 also but 2018 I can confirm. One would think that with 4 years and 4 or 5 OS updates they would have managed to fix this but it is either not on their radar, they can't fix it but refuse to remove it or not enough people have reported it to make it priority. I can't recall anyone posting here that trusted devices was a problem, not to say that it hasn't been posted anywhere else.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Yeh, I am a screen in, USB socket up pocketeer. Would rather risk an accidental double tap than a screen cracking hit from the corner of a table say.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I keep the USB up precisely to stop it gathering lint from the bottom of the pocket. That it comes out of the pocket in my hand already right way up is a bonus.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Had a thought today that what I really need is a phone screen cover that is only in use when the phone is in the pocket of these particular trousers. Ding! Rather than have the cover on the phone as in a flip case why not put the cover in the pocket? Had a look online for such a thing but no joy so started casting around the house for something I could use And Lo!, sitting on the desk by my old desktop PC which has not been turned on in years, under a mouse which has not been moved in years was a rubberised mouse mat. The perfect combination of stiffness and flexibility with a soft surface and easily cut to the shape of the pocket with a pair of scissors. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best but I will report back after giving it a road test.

Edit: Found that just folding the mouse mat in two allows it to slip easily into the pocket with hopefully sufficient coverage. Will try scoring the crease line with a sharp knife to get a sharper fold ...

Last edited:

stevetaz

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

Thank You! I have been using Galaxy phones from work for years (since S5?) and I have never really used much more than the phone, text, email, calendar, a few apps, etc. I recently retired and discovered Smart Lock-Location and what it could do by way of this site. It was terrific....for maybe a week and has gradually gotten worse and worse, not unlike many who have complained. I did find that going back to the Location screen, disabling my home address, go back one screen and then return to the location screen to reenable it got the Smart Lock function to work again, but holy cow! What a pain and it would only work for a period of time before failing again and again.

Your post got me to try Bixby Routines and while I am new to it I can only hope the function continues. So far so good.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Edit: Found that just folding the mouse mat in two allows it to slip easily into the pocket with hopefully sufficient coverage. Will try scoring the crease line with a sharp knife to get a sharper fold ...
The folded mouse mat in the pocket works a treat in stopping pocket surfing. Even with Lift to Wake turned on as well as Double Tap to Turn on Screen.