I think my phone is having issues keeping apps open

Owen Kim

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Reg s21 Verizon. Superb phone, great speed and battery

Am not a heavy user and won't say there are tons of apps installed or being used.

But noticing nowadays that it gets relatively warmer (I dunno, summer?) and struggling to keep apps open.

Tbh I don't care about other apps because things r still fast anyway and I hardly notice it, but one thing that annoys the bug out of me is that the chrome and even the stock browser reloads pages / tabs way too often.

Every time I jump around even merely 2 apps they need to refresh and it's not like I have more than 5 pages open on each use.

It wasn't like this before which is why it gets so frustrating, and also that I'm using my old s10 too as backup and 2nd machine for browsing or YouTube. It only has slightly fewer apps than my current but it still performs like a beast it ever was.

It does not make my current main driver look good when the former keeps holding up to its best. No issue with performance. I'd say only thing inferior relatively is the lack of 120hz. No I had not done any factory resets or whatsoever. Just left it as is when it's newer replacement had gotten activated.

So yeah it's frustrating that my s21 recently begun to struggle to keep internet pages open. I've done phone restarts, kept up with app updates, and deleted caches etc. What could be next, maybe another general software update?

Last thing I wanna do is a factory reset.. if anyone had similar issues and got it resolved without a hard reset, please help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any power-saving modes turned on? Or 3rd party "RAM booster" apps installed?

Also try turning off Battery Optimization for Chrome in the system settings.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I just got mine a few days ago and I find that the internet is slow both on chrome and apps. Also I have had pages crash along with apps.

Jell Lee

May 27, 2021
Visit site
Have you checked how much of the RAM (memory) is being used at the moment? you could try cleaning the memory and see if it helps, since those page/app histories are flash mems that are saved to RAM. Opening up more of those spaces might help.
Otherwise, I can only think of a natural default behavior from either google or samsung as a means of preserving battery and performance (just an assumption).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Reg s21 Verizon. Superb phone, great speed and battery

Am not a heavy user and won't say there are tons of apps installed or being used.

But noticing nowadays that it gets relatively warmer (I dunno, summer?) and struggling to keep apps open.

Tbh I don't care about other apps because things r still fast anyway and I hardly notice it, but one thing that annoys the bug out of me is that the chrome and even the stock browser reloads pages / tabs way too often.

Every time I jump around even merely 2 apps they need to refresh and it's not like I have more than 5 pages open on each use.

It wasn't like this before which is why it gets so frustrating, and also that I'm using my old s10 too as backup and 2nd machine for browsing or YouTube. It only has slightly fewer apps than my current but it still performs like a beast it ever was.

It does not make my current main driver look good when the former keeps holding up to its best. No issue with performance. I'd say only thing inferior relatively is the lack of 120hz. No I had not done any factory resets or whatsoever. Just left it as is when it's newer replacement had gotten activated.

So yeah it's frustrating that my s21 recently begun to struggle to keep internet pages open. I've done phone restarts, kept up with app updates, and deleted caches etc. What could be next, maybe another general software update?

Last thing I wanna do is a factory reset.. if anyone had similar issues and got it resolved without a hard reset, please help!
Like B. Diddy mentioned make sure no app cleaners , antivirus etc.. also try lock the app to recent used apps and see if it still refreshing to do that go recent used apps tap the big icon when it turns into cards of apps and choose keep open

Owen Kim

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
thanks for all the comments! just a quick feedback and update, had no third party cleaning apps, for those who've mentioned it. and for now think the problem is solved. went to recover mode (off, then volume up and power button), wiped cache and then clicked repair apps. automatically restarts. ever since, my phone has been back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca