No native music app

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I use the native Samsung music app which came pre-installed on my S21. I prefer the music app for my workout.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Not everyone streams music. I don't. I sometime stream sports commentaries but only if they are not on broadcast radio. Listen to lots of music and music programmes but all downloaded ahead of time.

As far as the OP goes I mostly use Smart Audiobook Player but also VLC. Samsung Player is a bit Mickey Mouse and lacking in functionality.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Not everyone streams music. I don't. I sometime stream sports commentaries but only if they are not on broadcast radio. Listen to lots of music and music programmes but all downloaded ahead of time.

As far as the OP goes I mostly use Smart Audiobook Player but also VLC. Samsung Player is a bit Mickey Mouse and lacking in functionality.

When I say "everyone" I'm using the term colloquially, not in the absolute and literal sense.

But the vast majority do stream. And of the minority that don't, most will want to use their own player, as yourself and the OP demonstrate.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Do you have any evidence that the "vast majority" do stream and exclusively stream?

I have discussed this before in another place and the only evidence proffered was an industry study that was only about new music and did not mention exclusive mode of listening.

I would accept that a lot of people stream for much of the time and even that most people stream for some of the time but that is as far as it goes.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any evidence that the "vast majority" do stream and exclusively stream?

I have discussed this before in another place and the only evidence proffered was an industry study that was only about new music and did not mention exclusive mode of listening.

I would accept that a lot of people stream for much of the time and even that most people stream for some of the time but that is as far as it goes.

How about the fact that the S21 series doesn't come with a music player, and it took 6 months for anyone to notice lol.

Spotify alone gained 30 million new subscribers in Q4 2020...I suppose you think all those people pay their 10 credits a month to download stuff to listen to offline?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The question the OP asked is not about if people stream more or not. There are clearly many users who stream music, and also users who would still like to play locally saved music files. Let's stay on topic here, thanks.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I use 'Samsung Music' as @B. Diddy mentioned.

The app has tabs to sort by Albums, Playlist, Folders, Genres, Artists, Favorites, Tracks, & even Composers. It's pretty easy to find what you are looking for.

There are other customizations like Crossfade between tracks, Smart volume, etc.

It is easy to create your own playlists.

Samsung Music covers all the bases for me. :)

plreardon

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I've never felt comfortable relying on streaming for music. If you lose wifi, or have a poor cell signal, you've lost your music. I'd much rather have control of my music not the streaming service.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But to be fair, if you lost wi-fi or cell service, you'll have more problems than just not being able to stream music.;) You can also take advantage of downloading music for offline listening on any streaming service, so if you know you'll be in an area of poor reception, you can plan ahead.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Presumably you do not live in an area with patchy mobile data coverage as you drive around? Many of us do. Anyhoo glad you are now accepting there is a case and a place for downloaded music as well as streamed music, whatever the source. Only problem still being that downloads locked to a streaming services own player means you are not using best of breed - Spotify for instance is particularly dreadful to use in my experience.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure that has to do with digital rights. If the user was allowed to download a music track and use it however they wanted, they could more easily pirate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze