Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

I'm noticing that my battery isn't lasting as long as it used to. For first few weeks after getting phone I was only charging every day and a half. Now I'm lucky to make it through a day without a top up. I've tried different things (clearing cache etc) but no improvement. I was hoping you guys could share your experience of battery so I can compare? I figured maybe I'm just using it more and that's why.
    Below is screenshot of today's battery life and maybe someone could advise if I'm really having a problem or my battery life is normal!
    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails battery life-60350.jpg  
    07-28-2021 04:48 PM
    Cell signal strength looks terrible in that screenshot. Poor cell signal is a common cause of battery drain. You can get a better idea of the cell signal by using GSam Battery Monitor. You could also try turning on Airplane Mode, then turn on wi-fi and just use wi-fi for a day and see if the battery drain isn't as bad.
    ironass, J Dubbs and Morty2264 like this.
    07-28-2021 08:18 PM
    I am actually loving this AUG4 update. Around 30 hours with 9 hours SoT. One thing that saves loads of battery is switching the Always On Display to, "Tap to show".

B. Diddy likes this.
    07-28-2021 08:26 PM
    Cell signal strength looks terrible in that screenshot. Poor cell signal is a common cause of battery drain. You can get a better idea of the cell signal by using GSam Battery Monitor. You could also try turning on Airplane Mode, then turn on wi-fi and just use wi-fi for a day and see if the battery drain isn't as bad.
    Yes. I live tucked away in behind a hill. I have tried different carriers and all have terrible reception here.if I walk a hundred yards away down my street signal is much better. Unfortunately I just have to live with it for now.

My only thought on that is that for the first few weeks when I got the phone battery life was much better. So unless mobile signal has got worse its something else maybe?
    07-29-2021 12:53 AM
    I am actually loving this AUG4 update. Around 30 hours with 9 hours SoT. One thing that saves loads of battery is switching the Always On Display to, "Tap to show".

https://i.imgur.com/azAgFO9l.png
    Thanks. I'll give that a shot. So my 5h SOT isn't great then!

Edit: just checked and it is already set to tap to show 🙁
    ironass likes this.
    07-29-2021 12:54 AM
    I posted this in another thread but since the latest update I'm getting close to 5 days out of a single charge with low to medium use on an S21U. One of the apps I have is CCleaner Pro and I run a utility at least once per day that closes down any background apps. That, plus I never use fast charge mode. It's my own opinion that fast charging might wear out batteries faster.
    07-29-2021 05:41 AM
    Yes. I live tucked away in behind a hill. I have tried different carriers and all have terrible reception here.if I walk a hundred yards away down my street signal is much better. Unfortunately I just have to live with it for now.

My only thought on that is that for the first few weeks when I got the phone battery life was much better. So unless mobile signal has got worse its something else maybe?
    There might be multiple factors influencing the actual cell signal strength the phone sees, so maybe things were a little better initially. It's still worth seeing how the battery is with the cell radio off -- if it's still about the same, then you know the cell signal isn't the main problem.
    07-29-2021 10:01 AM
    Batteries start to deplete from day one whether we like it or not. You should easily get 2 years out of a battery. I don't test or guage mine unless I see a major drop in battery power.
    07-29-2021 11:07 AM
    Thanks. I'll give that a shot. So my 5h SOT isn't great then!

Edit: just checked and it is already set to tap to show 🙁
    I get about 6 hours on my S21 Ultra, and charge it overnight.

But honestly, there are so many variables that trying to compare your battery life to that of other people is completely pointless.
    ironass likes this.
    07-29-2021 12:16 PM
    Yeah it depends on how you use your phone, how many apps , which carrier, a lot of factors.
    You can enable adaptive battery and it kicks in when needed and definitely helps.
    07-29-2021 12:26 PM
    Also if you game on your phone your battery life will be seriously depleted compared to people who mainly use their phones for browsing and basic tasks.
    07-29-2021 02:36 PM
    I get usage will vary. I don't game. Its really only browsing. But it's definitely not as good as it used to be.
    07-29-2021 04:18 PM
    I watched a tip video that said if you turn off 5G you will gain a lot of battery life? Anything to that?
    08-01-2021 05:47 PM
    I watched a tip video that said if you turn off 5G you will gain a lot of battery life? Anything to that?
    You probably could at this point
    Jezza819 likes this.
    08-01-2021 06:24 PM
    It's worth a try as I can't get 5g in my area. Thanks!
    08-03-2021 04:20 PM
    Short update. I turned off 5g and saw no difference. Given that chrome is the biggest issue I tried rolling back to an old version. No difference.

I guess I'm just going to have to get used to how it is.
    08-06-2021 06:53 AM
    It's worth a try as I can't get 5g in my area. Thanks!
    Usually after 1 battery charge cycle you can see if it makes a difference
    08-06-2021 12:39 PM
    Usually after 1 battery charge cycle you can see if it makes a difference
    After 3 days I saw no difference. If I hadn't had such good battery life at start I wouldn't k ow any different but it was great at beginning. Now it's same as my last phone. Oh well.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    08-06-2021 01:17 PM
    After 3 days I saw no difference. If I hadn't had such good battery life at start I wouldn't k ow any different but it was great at beginning. Now it's same as my last phone. Oh well.
    Yeah it depends also how good your Carrier 5g in the area
    08-06-2021 01:23 PM
    With the latest update 7 from Verizon yesterday my battery life seems much improved.
    Rose4uKY likes this.
    08-06-2021 02:25 PM