Sim question

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
When I received my new S21 ultra from T-mobile, I did not use the sim card that was included. Instead, I put in the sim from my old phone. Everything seems to be working fine except rcs on goigle messages. It can't verify my number. What happens if I take out that sim, and put in the new one? Does that also have my number on it? Will my device work, or will I have to call T-mobile support and have them do something?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You have to call T-Mobile to activate the SIM, but it IS linked to your number. I made the mistake of doing that when I ordered two, mixed them up... and wouldn't you know! According to Boogle Messages, my number was my second line (when it wasn't). Had to go to TMo and get a new SIM card issued because they couldn't figure it out on their end.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, I tried it. Turned off the chat on my old device and that made no difference. Funny thing is that I put my backup sim(different number) into my ZTE AXON 10 pro, and chat is working perfectly. But my main sim when put into my new S21 ultra, just will not recognize the number that I've had for 20 years. Like I said, everything is working flawlessly except sending and receiving texts over wifi. I reached out to T-Mobile for help, but for the first time since I've been with them, I got someone who had no idea what I was talking about. Very frustrating, especially when this is a wide spread problem over many carriers.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I tried it. Turned off the chat on my old device and that made no difference. Funny thing is that I put my backup sim(different number) into my ZTE AXON 10 pro, and chat is working perfectly. But my main sim when put into my new S21 ultra, just will not recognize the number that I've had for 20 years. Like I said, everything is working flawlessly except sending and receiving texts over wifi. I reached out to T-Mobile for help, but for the first time since I've been with them, I got someone who had no idea what I was talking about. Very frustrating, especially when this is a wide spread problem over many carriers.

Just go get a new SIM. Solved all my problems and could have avoided hours on the phone with their tech support.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I tried another way that worked I put my sim back into my old phone then turned chat off and waited an hour. Then put it back into my new phone and within an hour, PERFECTO.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nice! Yeah, my problem wasn't turning chat on/off...it was that, according to Boogle, my phone number was that of my second line (but the SIM was active for my primary line). So I was getting messages, but if I replied, it showed up to my friends as the second number and broke conversation threads. It was nasty.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
When they brought out RCS I was still using my pixel 1..... no phone switching involved. Of course RCS didn't want to work, so I found a tip online that suggested pulling up my carrier services app by searching it through the Google play store and it had an update showing, so I updated, even though it didn't show an update available in my installed apps section of the play store. That fixed the problem, and when I recently switched to my pixel 3xl, RCS set up automatically, and I never turned it off on my pixel 1 because I wasn't aware I needed to.

Be sure your carrier services app is updated, and check it with a search in the Google play store, because the update may not show up in your installed apps ;)

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I use to be one to upgrade every year. But I learned to stretch it to 2 when prices started going up, and the difference wasn't substantial enough. I love this s21 ultra so much, that I can see me keeping it even longer. I do miss the sd card slot though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith