Phone icon on a nessage

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I still think it means that it's a text message you sent while on a phone call. The ones that say "Read" probably mean that he opened his Messages app to read them, while the ones that just have the phone icon mean that he received the messages but didn't open the Messages app to read them.

You could test that easily. Call him again, and tell him to read some of the texts you send while on the call by opening the Messages app, and for other texts, just read them in the notification panel (but not open the Messages app). See if that pans out.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
@ironass can you test this out?

Your wish is my command @mustang7757

Samsung S21 Utra global Exynos with stock Samsung message app.

The telephone at the top of my screenshot enables me to call the contact directly from screen, simply by touching it. Next to it is the Duo app that I have installed and allows me to make video calls from Samsung Message.

N0NMO5Rl.png

Same set-up with Wi-Fi calling enabled on my phone

b2JzppTl.png

The same applies to the Google Message app that I installed and use by default

HdcFp0Al.png

Hope that helps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
@ironass the OP's question was about the phone icon next to each message, though -- i.e., right next to the timestamp of each message. Could you possibly test it where you call someone, then text them while still on the call, and ask them to read some of those texts by opening up their messaging app, and to leave some of them alone? My theory is that the phone icon represents text messages sent while on a call, and if it says "Read," that means the recipient opened their Messages app to read it, while if it doesn't say "Read" (i.e., there's only a phone icon), then it wasn't read through the Messages app.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Your wish is my command @mustang7757

Samsung S21 Utra global Exynos with stock Samsung message app.

The telephone at the top of my screenshot enables me to call the contact directly from screen, simply by touching it. Next to it is the Duo app that I have installed and allows me to make video calls from Samsung Message.

https://i.imgur.com/N0NMO5Rl.png

Same set-up with Wi-Fi calling enabled on my phone

https://i.imgur.com/b2JzppTl.png

The same applies to the Google Message app that I installed and use by default

https://i.imgur.com/HdcFp0Al.png

Hope that helps.
Thank you !
We trying figure out the phone icon in the message thread next to the actual text , i never seen that on Samsung message app , have you ?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
My apologies @B. Diddy & @mustang7757.

Yesterday was the beginning of our national U.K. Bank Holiday and the birth of my mates first child.

By the time I saw your messages and speed read the thread, I got the wrong end of the stick and made a right pig's ear of it.

Now that I am doing some shapes and colours, I have slowly re-read the thread and tried to replicate various scenarios on my dual SIM Galaxy S21 Ultra using the latest stock Samsung Message app for the U.K, version 12.2.10.15, and my OnePlus 6T that is using the Google Message app, version 9.3.022 (Camelot_RC02.phone .openbeta_dynamic).

So far I have not been able to see the telephone icon next to each sent message when on a call to either phone.

My befuddled guesses are that it may require 2 Samsung S21 devices on Samsung Messages or that it is a country/carrier feature.

Perhaps some more information from the OP as to which models of S21 are involved, (Settings > About phone > Model number), and which network they are on might be helpful.

Right... more coffee! :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My apologies @B. Diddy & @mustang7757.

Yesterday was the beginning of our national U.K. Bank Holiday and the birth of my mates first child.

By the time I saw your messages and speed read the thread, I got the wrong end of the stick and made a right pig's ear of it.

Now that I am doing some shapes and colours, I have slowly re-read the thread and tried to replicate various scenarios on my dual SIM Galaxy S21 Ultra using the latest stock Samsung Message app for the U.K, version 12.2.10.15, and my OnePlus 6T that is using the Google Message app, version 9.3.022 (Camelot_RC02.phone .openbeta_dynamic).

So far I have not been able to see the telephone icon next to each sent message when on a call to either phone.

My befuddled guesses are that it may require 2 Samsung S21 devices on Samsung Messages or that it is a country/carrier feature.

Perhaps some more information from the OP as to which models of S21 are involved, (Settings > About phone > Model number), and which network they are on might be helpful.

Right... more coffee! :)
No problem.

Yeah might be a carrier thing , RTT ,customizable service , hard to pinpoint.

You have dual sim?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair